It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tactical Reading (New Book)
Post #1 Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:39 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
My 11th book Tactical Reading is available for EUR 26.50 (book) or EUR 13.25 (PDF). It has 267 pages, the contents teaches in general how to read and solve tactical problems efficiently. The book is for 13 kyu to 3 dan, explains the theory and has 100 problems with detailed answers.

Information:
http://home.snafu.de/jasiek/TacticalReading.html
Table of contents:
http://home.snafu.de/jasiek/TacticalReading_TOC.pdf
Sample pages:
http://home.snafu.de/jasiek/TacticalReading_Sample.pdf
Review:
http://home.snafu.de/jasiek/TacticalReading_Review.html

See also viewtopic.php?p=186963#p186963 for the review by the author.

This post by RobertJasiek was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject: Re: Tactical Reading (New Book)
Post #2 Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:55 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Congratulations on another book, Robert! :)

Reading is not just the calculation of variations, and, looking at your sample pages, I see that you offer thorough guidance through the process of reading to your readers. (Pun intended. ;))

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: Bonobo

Post #3 Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:23 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 24
OGS: Saint Ravitt
So, call me an ignorant American, but how do I go about purchasing this book using US dollars?

Post #4 Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:07 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 47
Universal go server handle: djllap
Joelnelsonb wrote:
So, call me an ignorant American, but how do I go about purchasing this book using US dollars?

His website says he accepts Paypal, so it should be a relatively simple procedure to play in Euros through Paypal.

This post by DJLLAP was liked by: Bonobo

Post #5 Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:19 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Thank you, Robert — knowing how much I appreciate your other books, I will order this one, too, just to have it available for whenever I’d want to browse through it for a few minutes :-)

Sadly, I still can’t write a “proper” review; all I can say is … I have a subjective feeling that they have made me stronger … can’t even name single principles I’ve learnt, it’s all so extremely subjective, feeling-based for me … like: now I have different feelings in such-and-such situations in Go than I had before … some constellations frighten me less than before, others frighten me earlier than before (i.e. when they actually should frighten me), things like that, and I attribute these changes to reading your books. Somehow the way I think in Go is changing, very slowly, because I have too little time for study, but also thoroughly.

Post #6 Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:52 pm 
Judan

Joelnelsonb, a US customer can order from me (sending me an ordinary email describing the purchase and) using PayPal https://www.paypal.com to pay. PayPal is an Ebay daughter and now a bank offering international payments with low fees. The sender of a payment does not incur any noteworthy fee, except for a very small implicit fee hidden in the currency conversion. The recipient (that's me) of a payment pays a fee to PayPal.

When making a payment, you select the destination currency EUR and PayPal calculates the currency conversion and draws the appropriate amount in USD from your account. You pay by paying to my email address, which also is my PayPal account's email address. This is how PayPal works: one pays to an email address, so to say. After logging in to PayPal with a registered account, you use the SendMoney function.

The trickier part is the question where your money originates from. I think, for US customers, this includes these possbilities: a) the money can already be credit on your PayPal account, b) you link a credit card account as money source to your PayPal account, c) you link a checking account as money source to your PayPal account. After having registered with PayPal and set some reference account data, PayPal draws the right amount of money from your source account automatically. Usually, this works immediately, but for some account types it can take a few days.

If for some reason PayPal is not an option for you, you might wait until a European book retailer offers my book. Such retailers tend to offer a variety of credit card payment options (VISA, Mastercard and such). I guess you'd incur some 2% or 3% fee when making such an international payment.

In theory, you could pay me using an international money order directly from checking account to checking account but, AFAIK, we speak of fees starting at EUR 8 or something like that (and if your bank is greedy, fees can exceed EUR 40 for a single payment). You know, the traditional banks are greedy. This payment makes more sense within the EU. Another theoretical option is cash sent in a registered letter, but postage and value insurance of the letter combined with its shipping delay explain why nobody uses this method.

Post #7 Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:58 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 24
OGS: Saint Ravitt
I'm not too familiar with paypal but if they handle currency exchanges than that should work. Next question, would this book be helpful for a DDk? In other words, will I actually appreciate the content or just find it complex and un-applicable to my own game? I like the idea of going through a book in which I can directly contact the author.

Post #8 Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:58 pm 
Judan

While every player needs to be able to read well, the book is written for 13 kyu or stronger. DDK weaker than 13 kyu must be prepared to get an amount of contents they would normally find in half a dozen of books written for their level. I.e., I'd recommend the book only to very diligent players weaker than 13 kyu. Such players can read the book because its explanations are very detailed, where necessary, and lots of examples are simple. However, for them, it is not light reading of a book, they really must invest a good amount of effort.

What else can players weaker than 13 kyu do in order to reach 13 kyu level of tactical reading? Since there is no (English) book entirely on the topic for their level, they must read other books, such as Graded Go Problems for Beginners 1+2, First Fundamentals, Tesuji (Davies), Life and Death Problems 1 - Basics, and approach elementary reading skill in a more traditional manner of practising problems and trial and error. Alternatively, such beginners can also read Tactical Reading lightly for their first time (only learning what they can already understand easily and immediately), absorbe as much as they can, read the other books, improve to 13 kyu or stronger and only then start a serious, second reading of Tactical Reading.

This post by RobertJasiek was liked by: Bonobo