It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Useful books to become stronger
Post #41 Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:00 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
In response to SoDesuNe's original post, a couple thoughts.

- The James Davies series is significantly under represented. A&D is of course the most important single book for a kyu player to read, but his books on Life and Death and The Endgame are also extremely important. Neither seems quite as exciting as A&D, but they are both are foundational works and should be in your intermediate section.

- Tesuij & Anti-suji by Sakata is a book which is going out of print (if not already there), but it's the best tesuji book I've seen. At first I was going to say intermediate, but really 1-5k is probably more accurate.

- Invincible is a good book, but should definitely not be in the kyu section. It is full of really advanced analysis.

- Reducing Territorial Frameworks by Fujisawa belongs in the 1-5k category, and can be seen as a (partial) follow up to A&D. I consider this essential reading.

- Keishi & Uchikomi by Iwamoto is a dan-level follow up to Reducing Territorial Frameworks, though it could go in the optional category.

- Go Seigen's A way of play for the 21st century is a very good dan level fuseki book

- I'd knock Attack and Kill off the list, it just had specific examples which I didn't find helpful.

- Az

Post #42 Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:43 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
I love Tesuji and Anti-Suji of Go. A real shame it's out of print. I particularly like the fact that a lot of the tesuji are about making good shape, not about killing or separating.

Post #43 Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:08 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 117
Was liked: 31
KGS: Bray
Saurus wrote:
I've heard that "Direction of Play" is specifically aimed at dan players. How did you find the level? In your opinion, at what kyu level would it become useful?

I just read it last weekend, but did not work through any of the variations on a board. At 8k, I found the first few sections on fuseki and how the stones radiate power to be mostly understandable. It seems like a book that is all over the place in terms of required strength. The author goes off for several pages at a time on variations that I'm not sure are useful to me at my level.

I enjoyed it the first time through, and expect to read it again when I have time to go through it with a board.

Post #44 Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:20 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
jdl wrote:
Saurus wrote:
I've heard that "Direction of Play" is specifically aimed at dan players. How did you find the level? In your opinion, at what kyu level would it become useful?

I just read it last weekend, but did not work through any of the variations on a board. At 8k, I found the first few sections on fuseki and how the stones radiate power to be mostly understandable. It seems like a book that is all over the place in terms of required strength. The author goes off for several pages at a time on variations that I'm not sure are useful to me at my level.

I enjoyed it the first time through, and expect to read it again when I have time to go through it with a board.

I found the opening sections of the book to be stuff I already knew and understood reasonably well, though some of the variations were insightful. Much of the book is the sort of stuff that "makes sense" to me intuitively, but is deep and clever in ways I would fail to find myself in games. I would say it's 5k - 3d+

Post #45 Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:45 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 0
Quote:
Tryphon wrote:
BUT WHERE IS KAGEYAMA ??????? It's also a book worth reading once when you're weak, and constantly reread :)

And this is my top book for everyone :)

I think people go to Kageyama thinking "lots of rave reviews, this'll teach me how to play Go!" and get disappointed. The book doesn't teach you how to play, nor does it teach you the right moves. What it does do is teach you how to think when you play, and how to develop methods to find good moves for yourself - it takes a lot more to get out of it than just "absorb information", but I think the reward is well worth it.

That sounds awesome! I need to get that one. Just to be sure, it's Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go, right?

Post #46 Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:02 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 17
GD Posts: 396
At your level, undoubtly. There may be others that fits, but this one will fit :)

Post #47 Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:10 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
I didn't get much out if Kageyama's book. The only thing I learned was to read out ladders properly. And indeed that helped me in a couple of matches. But I am not sure whether it's worth to purchase that book for this tiny bit of knowledge. When I read it I was around 15-17 kyu. I'll give it a try again soon and let's see what I will get out of it.

A question to those who got something out of that book:
What exactly did you get out of it, and what was your strength at that time?

Post #48 Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:11 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 1562
Was liked: 140
GD Posts: 892
I still think it's an "attitude to become strong" book, more than a "get stronger" book. But that's what MadsS seems to want.

Post #49 Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:37 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
karaklis wrote:
I didn't get much out if Kageyama's book. The only thing I learned was to read out ladders properly. And indeed that helped me in a couple of matches. But I am not sure whether it's worth to purchase that book for this tiny bit of knowledge. When I read it I was around 15-17 kyu. I'll give it a try again soon and let's see what I will get out of it.

I first read it I think mid SDK, and have read it probably 5 or 6 times since then. What did I get out of it?

1) Read. Don't assume good instinct on whether something works or play purely on gut. Read. If it works, play it, if it doesn't, don't.
2) Don't be frightened to play a slow looking move if it is a proper move. If an enemy stone in your territory has bad aji left, then either you can kill it on a big scale without doing anything locally, or play a move that kills the aji outright - don't play some half way in between move.
3) The race to get ahead is crucial. Do it as soon as you can, extending / being pushed just because you can do it safely is unacceptable. The second you can jump ahead, you jump ahead.
4) Don't be frightened to give up the corner for thickness.
5) Territory isn't territory just because there are a few stones scattered around.
6) Design a strategy around the game status. If you are ahead, play accordingly. If you are behind, play accordingly, but don't just play moves without assessing the current score balance first.

A few more things too, but those are the only things that come to mind so far.

This post by topazg was liked by 3 people: karaklis, mic, Saurus

Post #50 Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:12 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 48
Was liked: 6
Jonas wrote:
I can recommend the book "Vital Points And Skillful Finesse For Sabaki" (http://senseis.xmp.net/?VitalPointsAndS ... eForSabaki) for players around 3k - 3d. Sadly the binding of the book has no good quality but the covered topics are really great. The moves that Yoda Norimoto is showing are feeling like magic to me.
Definitly a "should-read" for all people who like to invade deep and die struggling (like me ;-) )

I'm going through this book now (9k AGA) and I'm finding it to be a valuable and enjoyable read. It's insightful and inspiring for determining the best types of moves to play. It also does a good job at explaining/reminding the importance of position assessment and how locally good moves can destroy a whole board position. The couple cases that stick out to me are things like "'A' is normally sabaki, but in this case it wrecks the side, so 'B' is better (and here is why)" and "'A' gives life in the corner, but allows no targets for the future, which 'B' does allow (and here is why)"

Post #51 Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:38 am 
Beginner

Was liked: 1
karaklis wrote:

I read it recently and it gave me a lot actually. I went from strong 2k/ weak 1k to able to have close games with 2-3 dan in like two or three weeks! I see the game in a different light now. It could also have to do with motivation though :) But it is easily the best book I have read

Post #52 Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:06 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 17
GD Posts: 396
Wow, I wouldn't suspect it could have such impact when already 1k ! I have to reread it :)

As to my concern, I read it when around 15k, and I think it took a great part at making me around 10k (slowly, but I'm slow anyway). As I said, my 3 favorite books are this one, Attack and Defense, and Making Good Shape.

Post #53 Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:48 pm 
Judan

Was liked: 786
Lessons in the Fundamentals suggests which topics to study while Joseki Vol. 1 Fundamentals does study in detail those of the topics closely related to joseki. My book can also be considered to override Direction of Play and teaches more principles on some topics in greater detail and accuracy than Fundamental Principles of Go.

Post #54 Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:05 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 8
GD Posts: 172
The way I look at Kageyama's "Lessons" is this: if you like motivational-type books, you'll probably love Lessons. If you don't, you'll wonder what all the fuss is about.

Personally, I never particularly cared for Lessons (nor do I like motivational books), but I can see why others would like it.

This post by Tengen was liked by: Bartleby

Post #55 Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:46 am 
Judan

Was liked: 786
Helel, I hope this summer or autumn.

Post #56 Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:29 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 6
GD Posts: 20
Btw, I wouldn't class ABCs of Attack and Defence as advanced. I would say a 10-15k could read it and appreciate it in its entirety. I think it has some application to lower kyus as well, in fact it's a really nice clear book for anyone to read. Overall though I would say the material is more elementary than that found in Attack and Defence.

Post #57 Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:58 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 42
Was liked: 5
Oroth wrote:
Btw, I wouldn't class ABCs of Attack and Defence as advanced. I would say a 10-15k could read it and appreciate it in its entirety. I think it has some application to lower kyus as well, in fact it's a really nice clear book for anyone to read. Overall though I would say the material is more elementary than that found in Attack and Defence.

I Found Frickensweat's comments (GD) on the subject illuminating:

"I have read both of these books plus ABC's of Attack and Defense and Break Through to Shodan.

I did not read them in this oder but here is what I would think would be appropriate or how I wish I would have read them.

Attack and Defense- great for looking at the tools or ideas that you need to have.

ABC's of Attack and Defense- Puts the above into real game situation using 6-3 stone handi cap games.

Kato's Attack and Kill- Gives more indepth looks into attacking with the knights move and capping plays.

Break Through to Shodan- expands on ABC's using primarily 3 stone handicap games."

Anyway, I've only read a couple beginner books so far, but this thread has been helpful in sorting out what books might be best to read next.

Where've you been? Zatoichi could slice the board in half, put it back together again and rearrange the position so fast that no-one even knew he'd drawn his sword - and he was blind. ~ John Fairbairn

Post #58 Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:35 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 193
Was liked: 21
KGS: Azumi93
Online playing schedule: When I am in a mood for Go :D
schultz wrote:
Tryphon wrote:
BUT WHERE IS KAGEYAMA ??????? It's also a book worth reading once when you're weak, and constantly reread :)

C'mon guys, you couldn't have read Kageyama and haven't noticed his awful style. I think he is trying to copy Charlie Chaplin, to make his book funny and the result is a total crap. His book is worth only for my wood - burner.

Post #59 Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:33 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 31
Was liked: 12
GD Posts: 259
Stefany93 wrote:
schultz wrote:
Tryphon wrote:

C'mon guys, you couldn't have read Kageyama and haven't noticed his awful style. I think he is trying to copy Charlie Chaplin, to make his book funny and the result is a total crap. His book is worth only for my wood - burner.

the book is good if there are so many people that enjoy it. your opinion is a complete different thing, and that book helped a lot players to improve. you are in no position to make such a claim. I mean, wtf. Charlie Chaplin? as far as I can remember, most of Chaplin movies dont even have words, so I do not see a book copying them. only my opinion btw.

Post #60 Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:29 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
The opinions about this book are highly split. I have read it once as DDK and once as SDK - the second time to check whether I would change my mind about this book. I didn't, I still don't like it, though there are some parts that are better than others. I liked particularly the parofessionals' match at the end of the book (Kageyama's "master piece"). As for the other parts there are other books that explain the relative topic much better. And apart from the beginning of the book (about ladders and nets) this is not appropriate for beginners either. This book rather seems to be designed to relax and get amused than to extract knowledge from it that could help you with your go play.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next