It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any good app that solves arbitrary L&D problems?
Post #1 Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:06 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Does anyone know of an app (or any purchase-able software), that can solve arbitrary, user-created life and death problems?

Post subject:
Post #2 Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:13 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
( I see this was already a solved problem in chess software over 10 years ago... )

Post subject: Re: Any good app that solves arbitrary L&D problems?
Post #3 Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:33 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 72
Was liked: 479
KGS: macelee
'arbitrary' - that is the difficult part.

Many years ago I got to a know a Chinese guy on the Internet who wrote a program that could solve with very high degree of success any 'closed' L&D problems (the problem has to be confined in a closed area so that brutal force type of algorithm can work). By that time there were not many good AI codes available so that was quite a revolutionary code. But somehow this person along with his program disappeared. I still don't know why. That could have been a very successful product.

The problem with many L&D programs is that the solutions, often prepared manually, cannot possibly cover all the variations. A strong player can see that some points are clearly not working. But weaker players, quite legitimately, want to try those 'clearly incorrect' moves and programs often cannot respond to those move. Some form of AI can fill the gap nicely.

Post #4 Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:16 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
GoTools comes to mind. I have never used it, however. http://lie.ac.brocku.ca/gotools/

This post by hyperpape was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #5 Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:38 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 186
Was liked: 191
SmartGo for Windows embeds gotools. You may have to add a number of extra stones around a problem to make the boundary clear. I stopped trusting it years ago, eventually concluding that it was more important to use my brain than to know the "right" answer.

Post #6 Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:08 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
There used to be something called GoGrinder. But the "arbitrary" adjective is the crux. That would seem to be equivalent to solving go.

Post #7 Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:26 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
gowan wrote:
There used to be something called GoGrinder. But the "arbitrary" adjective is the crux. That would seem to be equivalent to solving go.

Even a small problem can end up needing a 9x9 sub-board to display. So, yes, the ability to solve any problem would appear to be the same as solving 9x9, which is still unsolved.

Post subject: Re:
Post #8 Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:59 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 0
EdLee wrote:
( I see this was already a solved problem in chess software over 10 years ago... )

I'd say that in chess things are not as solved as you think. There are still chess problems that computers are not great at/unable to solve. These usually involve some mix of blocked positions, fortresses, or long move horizons.

A couple of examples that come to mind are the forced mate in 262 (6k1/5n2/8/8/8/5n2/1RK5/1N6 w - - 0 1), The Behting Study (8/8/7p/3KNN1k/2p4p/8/3P2p1/8 w - - 0 1), and a legal position that crashes some modern chess engines out of Leonid's mate collection (brqqqqqk/B6q/R6q/Q2Nn2q/Q2nN2q/Q6r/Q6b/KQQQQQRB w - -).

You are right that for most problems chess engines are excellent.