All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GoGrinder for Android
Post #1 Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:17 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 5
GD Posts: 50
KGS: MatCauthon
GoGrinder for Android is now available. Let me know if you see any problems or have feature suggestions.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.gogrinder&feature=search_result

Post subject: Re: GoGrinder for Android
Post #2 Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:26 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 257
Was liked: 287
KGS: wms
Hi Tim. Just tried gogrinder, and I had to return it, so I wanted to give you more information on why.

First, it didn't seem to have the 150 starter problems that it promised. It would only give me a window that said that there were no problems and I needed to install some.

Then, the directions on how to install problems said to hook up a USB cable and stuff them in with my PC. Well, this is probably a situation that is unusual, but my phone has a flakey USB port so I can't do that. The end result was that I couldn't use gogrinder at all!

In general I'd find a problem solver to be a lot more useful if it came with a batch of problems, and an easy way to download more - maybe have a menu item that goes to a web site where you can put up new batches of problems over time, or something like that? Just an idea there.

Anyway, sorry for posting the negative comment, I had second thoughts after posting but couldn't figure out how to erase my comment completely. If you make changes so that I can use gogrinder then I'll be happy to try it out and update the comment and rating.

Post #3 Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:06 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
GD Posts: 100
This would have made my day, but I can't find it on the marketplace so I guess my 3 month old phone is not running a modern enough version of android - not sure why it's needed. Thx anyway

Post #4 Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:53 am 
Dies in gote

wms - I found the reason you didn't see the starter problems, so that's fixed in 1.1.2. I also added Xuan Xuan Qi Jing to the program, so now there are 497 problems. If you know of other freely available collections that you would like to see, let me know what they are.

CnP - The app runs on any phone with Android 1.5 or higher, so I doubt the age of your phone is the problem. Does your phone have a touchscreen and an SD card? Those are requirements right now. If you don't have an SD card, let me know - I didn't realize there were any out there without SD cards, and I'll have to do something about it.

Post #5 Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:11 am 
Lives in gote

Ok, thanks actually I can see it now if I try and open your link with the browser but not if I try with the native market app option, also if I search on the marketplace it doesn't find it either. My phone is a HTC wildfire so should be okay. Buying through the browser doesn't work either ...

Post #6 Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:35 am 
Dies in gote

It looks like several people with the Wildfire are having trouble download apps. Some of these suggestions may help:
http://androidforums.com/wildfire-support-troubleshooting/129477-htc-wildfire-android-market-wont-download-apps.html

Have you been able to install other apps?

Post #7 Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:43 am 
Lives in gote

Thanks for the suggestion but I've installed quite a few apps no problems.

Post #8 Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:41 am 
Dies in gote

When you say you can't buy it, what do you mean exactly? What error message do you get?

Post #9 Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:31 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 171
GD Posts: 1104
KGS: fwiffo
What are the specifics of how problem sets should be set up? E.g. how are correct and incorrect lines in SGF files marked? Is there a place where I can get additional problem sets that are properly formatted for GoGrinder?

Post #10 Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:46 pm 
Lives in gote

Quote:
When you say you can't buy it, what do you mean exactly? What error message do you get?

Firstly I've never had to try and get an app through the browser - if it's not available through the marketplace app it's not available. However I had a go getting it through the browser (if you click on your link using your phone you get the option to either open the link with the browser or in the marketplace app). I get as far as a menu prompting me to select the android device to download to, which has one generic option, which doesn't work. If it works for everyone else that's great, I do actually already have a tsumego app on my phone that does work so I don't need it and I haven't really got a lot free time to spend worrying about it (though of course I love GoGrinder on my desktop). I don't know how apps get screened for suitability on the market place but since it doesn't show up for me in the marketplace it's safe to say it's not compatible (if it's not the android version, perhaps available memory size issues? I don't know).

edit: I hope this doesn't sound offensive! :tmbup:

Post #11 Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:04 am 
Dies in gote

Most problems you find online will work. There are a bunch of classical problems here: http://www.u-go.net/classic/

Problems for GoGrinder should be stored in SGF format. There are two ways of indicating which moves are correct. The first is to put either "RIGHT" or "CORRECT" at the beginning of the comment of the correct node. This is the format used at goproblems.com. All paths that do not lead to a node with one of these comments are considered incorrect. The other way is used if there are none of these comments in the file. In this case all moves in the file are considered correct, unless the variation is marked with the non-standard SGF tag WV[], or the stone that was just played is marked with a triangle.

If anyone has sets of problems that use some other way of marking right/wrong answers, I would be happy to handle them as well.

Post #12 Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:37 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 36
TimKington wrote:

I also have a HTC-Wildfire and the same problem with CnP (I guess). The thing is, GoGrinder is not accessible with the market app on Wildfire: "Item not found"

Wildfire is a touchscreen phone with an SD card, so it shouldn't be a problem. Actually, it has happened to me before that some other apps were missing from the market (while checking with the phone).

Here http://androidforums.com/wildfire-support-troubleshooting/116259-apps-not-loading.html#post1343388 someone thinks it is due to the screen resolution (320x240). Someone else mentions convenient way of overcoming the problem (AppBrain + Fast Web Installer). I didn't try that, but was just curious if such missing apps are missing on all Wildfire's or if it's a per-phone based bug.

Can you check if you are somehow requiring resolution to be higher than 320x240?

This post by kivi was liked by: CnP

Post #13 Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:56 am 
Dies in gote

It looks like the issue on the Wildfire is screen resolution. I can mark the app differently so it will run there, but right now some of the buttons are offscreen. I'm going to have to change the screen layout for that resolution or maybe use the menu instead of the buttons, and then I'll put an update out that will work on the Wildfire.

This post by TimKington was liked by: CnP

Post #14 Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:40 am 
Lives in gote

Thanks, I'll give it another try when I have a chance. 497 problems is enough for me to buy it, even if I'm not able to download any more. I see in your screenshot that you have Cho's Encyclopedia, I did the original conversion to SGF on that and I think I still have it around somewhere (I'm sure the original floppy died of bit rot years ago!).
TimKington wrote:
wms - I found the reason you didn't see the starter problems, so that's fixed in 1.1.2. I also added Xuan Xuan Qi Jing to the program, so now there are 497 problems. If you know of other freely available collections that you would like to see, let me know what they are.

Post #15 Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:41 am 
Dies in gote

You did a really nice job on Cho's Encyclopedia. I really like that set.

Also, I meant to tell you earlier - you don't really have to use the USB cable to get problems into the program. Any way of putting folders of problems in /sdcard/gogrinder will work, so you could use an FTP program or something like that instead.

Post #16 Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:46 pm 
Lives in gote

TimKington wrote:
Also, I meant to tell you earlier - you don't really have to use the USB cable to get problems into the program. Any way of putting folders of problems in /sdcard/gogrinder will work, so you could use an FTP program or something like that instead.
I find that working with the android file system directly is...well...annoying at best. I'd much prefer that any app that needs stuff put into SD storage put it there for me, and didn't make me fiddle around with directory names and so on. That's why pointing gogrinder at a web site and having it download for me would be preferred.

Post #17 Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 pm 
Dies in gote

There's a new version of GG on the marketplace. This one should be installable on the Wildfire, and other devices with small screens.
It also uses the entire screen if you put it on a tablet.

Post #18 Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:56 am 
Lives in gote

Great, thanks. I've bought it & it works very well. One of the three "must have" apps for Go I'd say.

Post #19 Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:13 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 64
Was liked: 7
Universal go server handle: ChradH
There are display problems on the Galaxy Tab (600x1024). I toyed with the "Zoom on ..." options, but to no avail.

Edit: Updated version (1.2.3) works perfectly now!

Post #20 Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:22 pm 
Beginner

Was liked: 0
KGS: bazilxp
TimKington wrote:
GoGrinder for Android is now available. Let me know if you see any problems or have feature suggestions.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.gogrinder&feature=search_result

Looks nice ,but in fact i can not buy application , no my country in list :(
Unfortunately Paid part of android market is not Available for Ukraine ..