It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: clarification on Trading Post guidelines
Post #1 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:24 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 15
I'd like to ask for clarification on the posting policy for this forum - the description says buying/selling/trading, but the overall site rules say: "no commercial ads".

I'm hoping this isn't as antibusiness as it sounds on the surface - because disallowing all commercial postings by Go businesses on this forum would hurt the community far more than benefit it.

I wonder if people understand what a small margin Go vendors operate on - with a tiny market that's like a small town. We didn't choose to get into the business because it's going to make us fabulously rich, we do it because we love it. Would you like us to disappear? Because in this economy, that can happen.

The Go community is blessed to be supported by dedicated vendors like Slate and Shell, Kiseido, Yutopian, YMI, and yes, yours truly. We work for you, so please don't criminalize us.

-Chuck

Post subject: Re: clarification on Trading Post guidelines
Post #2 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:37 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 163
Was liked: 62
I really like the "community ad" to the left of the screen on Sensei's Library. I occasionally learn about a nifty new site that way. I would be in favor of such a banner system here, even if some ads are for commercial ventures. But of course, I don't speak for everyone.

Post #3 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:42 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 171
GD Posts: 1104
KGS: fwiffo
I don't personally mind as long as it doesn't get excessively spammy. But that's subjective obviously, and I don't speak for the community of course.

Post #4 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:45 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
Personally I don't mind at all, as long as it's in the trading post. I understand that it's a really hard business to get by in. As long as commercial posts are reasonable (Not repeated once a week or anything silly) and confined to a forum for the purpose, I'd be happy to be informed about cool go products.

Post #5 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:56 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
dupe. please ignore

Last edited by Joaz Banbeck on Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #6 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:00 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
My gut feel (and here I am talking as a normal member, not as an admin ) is that posts in the trading post should be for a product, not a business. If I have a board to sell, I can list it for free. If Mr. Thomas has a board to sell, he can list it for free. ( A limit on the number of free ads might be prudent )

If Mr Thomas wants to advertise the business, then that is something that the average member does not and cannot do. It is then a different type of posting, and ought to be treated differently.

I don't mind advertising if it is a trailer. Don had the ebay section for go equipment tacked onto the end of pages. It didn't impose itself on the reader. It was there if you wanted it, but you could ignore it quite easily. I looked at it every now and then, and actually placed a few bids. Perhaps we could sell a similar service to Mr. Thomas for a very modest fee.

Post #7 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:04 am 
Dies in gote

How about text-only with a 250 word limit and no more than 1 per week?

Post #8 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:14 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 24
Was liked: 36
GD Posts: 1315
I hated those ebay listings on GD. Just because they're at the bottom of the page doesn't mean they don't take up a ton of bandwith and rendering time (and I usually click "End" to get to the last post of the page, which the ebay listings made difficult). In general I'm opposed to advertising on a community-supported site (and feel based on past experiences with other sites that donations can be much more lucrative anyway).

What about a forum for product or sales announcements inside of Go Gear? Commercial entities like Shodan Imports can post in that forum with new information about their products (which also sparks discussion, which is more akin to the purpose of a forum), but if it's just weekly or monthly postings of "Here's the same old inventory, nothing new or interesting, come buy our stuff" then I think we can easily do without that.

Of course, there's always the danger of "manufactured" sales or announcements that are simple repackagings, but I think those can easily be seen through by the community and commented on in the thread, limiting any potential damage caused.

Post #9 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:17 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 171
GD Posts: 1104
KGS: fwiffo
I think the text-only, 250 word, once per week limit is completely reasonable. I don't even mind images as long as they're images of actual products (as opposed to banner ads or something), and they're reasonably sized. Like, if you started carrying a new kind of bowl, I don't see the harm in posting a small image of the new bowls. Of course, if we're going to make a rule, we have to be explicit about it being go related products so we don't start allowing ads for X10 cameras or whatever.

Again, I speak only for myself.

Post #10 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:21 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 1562
Was liked: 140
GD Posts: 892
I wouldn't mind if each commercial entity had a thread in the forum. I think ross' idea of a "Go Gear" forum seems the best.

I would also not mind a community ads thing like sensei's, but don't think it would fit the layout here very well.
Besides, that one had some problems with what ads are allowed and which are not, as some of you know. I wouldn't be happy to see that argument come back again.

I also hated the ebay ads because of using the End key.

I think it would be best, whatever is decided, that the policy for what is allowed in the advertisements is clear.

Post #11 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:22 am 
Dies with sente

Was liked: 7
KGS: redponey
IGS: redponey
DGS: redponey
OGS: redponey
Kaya handle: redponey
I've bought a go board from Shodan Imports before, and personally I would prefer to see them post here than on Ebay, which is getting more and more expensive for sellers.

Personally, I'd have no problem with a once-in-a-while "here is my go-related business" post in the trading post section. In fact, I would appreciate it, as a way to learn about new places to shop for go stuff.

If others feel differently, then it certainly still seems appropriate to single-post individual *items* in the trading post. If Shodan has a few boards or sets of stones for sale, post them, then update to "sold" if they sell. Of course, this might lead to *more* posts than just allowing a general business post.

I think an outright ban on having "commercial" posts on the trading post is silly. If I sell a board, I may be looking to make money on it, even if I have another job. What is the difference?

Post #12 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:35 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
I don't think anyone would object to the occasional sale notification from any of our beloved Go vendors. Be it here, or in the Announcements subsection.

But the intent for this subsection is obviously for individuals cleaning out their (go related) closets, or trying to find some rare (go related) item.

Hard to quantify into guidelines I would think. I imagine a few lines could be bent here and there, within reason.

Post #13 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
I'm all in favor of having an open "trading post" section where any go vendors - and only go vendors - can post whatever they want. If you don't want to see info on go products, just avoid that section. I agree with Chuck that go vendors are in a tough market, and that it would be great to help them, because helping them helps the game overall. I'd love to see each go publisher make a post every time they have a new book out, or any other vendors post when they have new products.

Post #14 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:45 am 
Dies with sente

KGS: redponey
IGS: redponey
DGS: redponey
OGS: redponey
Kaya handle: redponey
If the trading post were to get so crowded with posts from go-related vendors that posts about individual items were to get crowded out, then it can be separated into two forums. I seriously doubt that will happen, and if it does, they that's good! I'd rather see more posts about go stuff for sale than less.

Post #15 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:46 am 
Dies in gote

redponey wrote:
If others feel differently, then it certainly still seems appropriate to single-post individual *items* in the trading post. If Shodan has a few boards or sets of stones for sale, post them, then update to "sold" if they sell. Of course, this might lead to *more* posts than just allowing a general business post.

My desire is to offer new information about either 1) a new price or sale on something or 2) a new product (maybe with a small picture, just to give a first impression). Basically, to tell people about what's new.

I certainly don't need or want to showcase my wares here on a primarily text-based forum. I have a website for that!

Post #16 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:51 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
As far as I am concerned, any generally active member on the forums should be able to post messages advertising any new developments in their business trading products. Anything that helps Go generally spread and become profitable (thus allowing it to spread further) is a good thing in my mind.

Post #17 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:53 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 24
Was liked: 36
GD Posts: 1315
cthomas wrote:
My desire is to offer new information about either 1) a new price or sale on something or 2) a new product (maybe with a small picture, just to give a first impression). Basically, to tell people about what's new.

That's what I figured. I just think a "New Product Announcements" forum is a better fit for that than the current "Trading Posts" forum, which as xed_over says is "obviously for individuals cleaning out their (go related) closets". But I'm happy either way--I think the community will police things pretty well if your posts get too annoying or too frequent (or some other guy who decides to come along later and be particularly spammy--not to imply that you're not a great guy who only has the community's interests at heart).

Post #18 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:29 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 105
Was liked: 123
I would like the option to not see ads and so a separate forum for Go related business ads makes sense. I don't think it's anti-business to not want to see ads everytime you visit one of the forums. I would visit an advertizing forum on a regular basis just to see what's new, if there are any sales going on, etc., but then it's my choice and not something shoved in my face everytime I come here.

Post #19 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:35 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 64
Universal go server handle: ChradH
I see no harm in go related businesses using a thread of their own (e.g. "News from Shodan Imports") for announcing new products once a week or so. The forum of the German Go Federation has those and it works fine.

Post #20 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:36 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
Yeah, in similar ways, I like knowing when smartgo pro on the Iphone has new versions, and what the changes do.