It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: anyone tried a 20+" lay-flat AiO-computer touch interface?
Post #1 Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:47 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
There have been various discussions here in the past about using touch-screen interfaces to KGS but most common tablets are small, and most discussions I found were old. In the past few years a niche category of computer hardware has come along that involves *large* touchscreens, ~20+". A small subset of these can lie flat on a table. Some of these are now large enough to be as big as a full-size 19x19 go board (eg, 27"+ models are now available, still with touchscreens).

These either run MS Windows (lately 8.1 or 10) or Android, though the Android or dual-boot ones seemed to be more from a few years ago. The ones I see looking around now are the Lenovo Yoga Home 900 (27"), and prior models Lenovo Horizon 2s and Lenovo Horizon 2. The Dell XPS 18 preceded those. The hardware is not absurdly expensive either, less than $600 today for a Horizon 2s, or less than $1500 for the 27" one. Too just see hat the hardware looks like and see someone touching it, though not playing go, check out for example: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/lenovo-yoga ... 21736.html

I'm very curious what it would be like to play on a large lay-flat touch display where the stones are actually life-size. I've no idea if there is a Windows KGS interface that uses touch, or if any decent computers in this category are available with Android. Key-phrases if you want to search for models: All-in-One (AiO) and lay-flat.

Anyone tried it? I'd love to see a video of someone doing it if anyone wants to upload one to YouTube. :-)

Post subject: Re: anyone tried a 20+" lay-flat AiO-computer touch interfac
Post #2 Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:55 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 186
Was liked: 191
I have played on a pixelsense with a special UI, but that device is large enough that you can drag stones out of virtual bowls. It is pretty cool.