It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: An e-mail to admin concerning "Herod"
Post #81 Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:27 am 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
Pippen wrote:
daal wrote:
Pippen wrote:
I did also get banned now for "sexist comments". Here is what happened: YellowBell played breakfast and looked pretty good in the middle of the game, so I commented with 2-3 phrases like "wow, girls are not supposed to think that well^^". So as you see I did mark my sentence as "not that serious meant"

Jokes that require emoticons are probably not funny in the first place. Sounds like a reasonable ban to me.

Let's use the word "KGS-reasonable" for otherwise it could be confusing.

When you use any forum or service online you have to play by their rules. Whether you personally agree with them or not is immaterial really. You are always free to not use the service after all if you don't like the rules very much.

Post #82 Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:39 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 31
KGS: 2d
Boidhre wrote:
When you use any forum or service online you have to play by their rules. Whether you personally agree with them or not is immaterial really. You are always free to not use the service after all if you don't like the rules very much.

I didn't read anything about jokes not allowed (actually it wasn't a joke, it was more a humorous remark).

Post #83 Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:05 am 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
Pippen wrote:
Boidhre wrote:

I didn't read anything about jokes not allowed (actually it wasn't a joke, it was more a humorous remark).

So, try to imagine you have a daughter. And she's playing go at a tournament. And someone is standing behind her, watching. And he says, "Wow, girls are not supposed to think that well." Then he sniggers to make sure everyone understands it's a joke.

I also think the KGS mods are too capricious, and your ban probably had more to do with personalities than principles, but you need to understand that you don't deserve a ton of sympathy.

This post by jts was liked by 2 people: hyperpape, Phelan

Post #84 Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:08 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Pippen wrote:
You don’t seem to get the point that calling women “girls” is sexist, no matter how funny you believe your remarks to be.

Apparently I’ve been a bit too quick, too judicial—as Uberdude writes, the person on question actually is a girl.

I apologize.

Greetings, Tom

Last edited by Bonobo on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #85 Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:17 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
jts wrote:
Pippen wrote:
Boidhre wrote:

So, try to imagine you have a daughter. And she's playing go at a tournament. And someone is standing behind her, watching. And he says, "Wow, girls are not supposed to think that well." Then he sniggers to make sure everyone understands it's a joke.

I also think the KGS mods are too capricious, and your ban probably had more to do with personalities than principles, but you need to understand that you don't deserve a ton of sympathy.

Depending on the relationship between the people involved and the other people around, the comment can be completely appropriate as gentle ribbing or a humorous compliment, or it can be quite inappropriate. It is of course difficult for an admin to tell which is which without prior knowledge of the parties involved, so I'm not surprised to hear that they would err on the side of caution, especially since other observers wouldn't necessarily take it in the correct context either.

Post #86 Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:36 am 
Oza

skydyr wrote:

Depending on the relationship between the people involved and the other people around, the comment can be completely appropriate as gentle ribbing or a humorous compliment, or it can be quite inappropriate. It is of course difficult for an admin to tell which is which without prior knowledge of the parties involved, so I'm not surprised to hear that they would err on the side of caution, especially since other observers wouldn't necessarily take it in the correct context either.

But that's the thing. It's a public go server not a small club where everyone knows each other and knows what can and cannot be said.

Post #87 Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:46 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 12
Was liked: 21
KGS: peppernut
Pippen wrote:

The two aren't mutually exclusive you know. I am trying to think of a situation where telling a woman "you play well for a girl" would be okay if only you smiled when you said it, but I'm not coming up with anything.

This post by peppernut was liked by: gasana

Post #88 Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:39 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Bonobo wrote:
Pippen wrote:
You don’t seem to get the point that calling women “girls” is sexist, no matter how funny you believe your remarks to be.

The player in question is a girl not a woman.

This post by Uberdude was liked by: Bonobo

Post #89 Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:49 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
Boidhre wrote:
skydyr wrote:

But that's the thing. It's a public go server not a small club where everyone knows each other and knows what can and cannot be said.

Yeah, I'm agreeing with you, though maybe I wasn't the most clear on that :)

Post #90 Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:37 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Boidhre wrote:
skydyr wrote:

I am going to have to start ignoring this thread. I keep pulling myself in. OTOH, some of my previous remarks seemed to be helpful. :)

How hard would it be for the admin to send a private message to the player who was perhaps the butt of some sexist remarks and ask, "Is that guy bothering you?"

When I became a bridge director I took a course from the directors of national tournaments in the US. Tournament bridge has complicated laws, and having to rule on possible violations is a common task for a director. We were taught that the first thing to do when making a ruling is to find out what happened. IMHO, that principle applies in this case. If you do not know what can and cannot be said between the people involved, find out. Ask what is going on. Do not make a ruling from ignorance.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #91 Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:55 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 60
GD Posts: 248
Bill Spight wrote:
Boidhre wrote:
skydyr wrote:

I am going to have to start ignoring this thread. I keep pulling myself in. OTOH, some of my previous remarks seemed to be helpful. :)

How hard would it be for the admin to send a private message to the player who was perhaps the butt of some sexist remarks and ask, "Is that guy bothering you?"

Just to be clear, huge respect for Bill and his contributions to this thread, but I do not agree with this solution.

I think the comment, in a public forum was horribly sexist. Imagine if such a remark was made about a racial/ethnic stereotype - no bag of emoticons could make the remark ok.

Sure, there are women who might not think this is a big deal, and if they knew the person might laugh it off. But asking that one woman is problematic. First of all, it puts the burden on her to be "that woman" who cannot take a "joke" and gets the "hilarious" guy in trouble. Second, it does nothing for the rest of the women watching who are appalled. Third, the confirmation delay will encourage other "humorists" to make lighthearted mysoginist remarks because anything unfunny, or painful about this can be emoticonned away. Finally, a conversation about the appropriateness of the remark may well ensue in the meantime with both sides saying things that neither want to hear and have nothing to do with go.

This post by Horibe was liked by 2 people: hyperpape, Ortho

Post #92 Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:15 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
In a normal game the players can't see the kibitz (unless they look back at it after the game is over) so the admin's job is not to protect the player from things they can't see, but to protect the perceived sensibilities of fellow observers. In fact this game in question was the special Teaching game type so the players could see kibitz, but that's abnormal.

Also if I were concentrating on playing a game I might not notice a message, or if I did I might get annoyed and ignore it.

Post #93 Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:24 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Horibe wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:

Just to be clear, huge respect for Bill and his contributions to this thread, but I do not agree with this solution.

I think the comment, in a public forum was horribly sexist. Imagine if such a remark was made about a racial/ethnic stereotype - no bag of emoticons could make the remark ok.

Sure, there are women who might not think this is a big deal, and if they knew the person might laugh it off. But asking that one woman is problematic. First of all, it puts the burden on her to be "that woman" who cannot take a "joke" and gets the "hilarious" guy in trouble. Second, it does nothing for the rest of the women watching who are appalled. Third, the confirmation delay will encourage other "humorists" to make lighthearted mysoginist remarks because anything unfunny, or painful about this can be emoticonned away. Finally, a conversation about the appropriateness of the remark may well ensue in the meantime with both sides saying things that neither want to hear and have nothing to do with go.

As I said before, I do not play on KGS and do not know the culture. I was basing my remarks on the reactions of skydyr, Boidhre, and others.

Now, whether calling a girl a girl is sexist, or whether a jocular remark saying that she does not fit the sexist stereotype is offensive depends upon the local culture. If it violates the cultural norms of decorum and offends the onlookers, then her opinion does not matter. But if the offensiveness depends upon how she feels, then it does.

Skydyr indicated that it would be difficult for the admin to judge the appropriateness of the remarks without knowing the people involved. Boidhre did not disagree, but said that the admin could not be expected to know "what can and cannot be said." I am assuming that they are both right. :) In that case, my opinion remains the same. If you don't know the facts of the situation, find out.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #94 Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:40 pm 
Lives in gote

Boidhre wrote:
It's a public go server not a small club where everyone knows each other and knows what can and cannot be said.

Do u want a server where people discuss in an aseptic " we just make it right for everyone" style? I do not. I want people to speak up their minds except if they insult people or if they bothering people in an obvious inappropriate way, e.g. if I would have written over 10 moves that this girl sucks or that everyone should come to my new church or whatever. In dubio pro libertate! That should be the guidance. It would make life a lot easier - for the people and for the admins, because the admins could focus more on the real issues. Again: I can understand the admin here and maybe I went too far, but then again: Can I say (during kibitzing) that this girl is pretty or is this already sexual harassment on KGS or vice versa: Can I say that I find her not pretty? It becomes really nitpicking from there. All that is not a real problem, but maybe because of that a nice discussion topic^^.

Post #95 Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:51 pm 
Lives with ko

Was liked: 55
My opinion on this particular case changed as I read the subsequent posts, so perhaps my misunderstanding was the same as that of the admin.

When I first read "wow, girls are not supposed to think that well^^" I thought that it was a remark regarding that female's ability to think when compared to someone else's. I don't think it is appropriate to state that men are supposed to "think better" than women, so I considered the comment sexist and possibly offensive to the player.
It turns out that the player is really a girl (as in "young"), so the comment is possibly directed to her age and not to her gender. I would consider this to be a compliment rather than an insult ("wow, children of your age don't usually think that well!").

Is is possible that something like this happened with the admin?

Post #96 Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:02 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 105
Was liked: 123
Pippen, you said you had made 2-3 remarks like the example you posted. Did the admin inform you of the rules against sexist language and give you a warning before the ban? Had you been warned on other occasions for inappropriate language or breaking other rules? Was this your first KGS offence? Would we get a different story from the admin?

Post #97 Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:19 pm 
Lives in gote

deja wrote:
Pippen, you said you had made 2-3 remarks like the example you posted. Did the admin inform you of the rules against sexist language and give you a warning before the ban? Had you been warned on other occasions for inappropriate language or breaking other rules? Was this your first KGS offence? Would we get a different story from the admin?

No, I was not informed or warned and honestly it'd be just not practical to inform or warn people as well as inquiring the sitation like Bill Spight suggested. After all it's not robbery here, just some remarks among thousands of remarks.... I think it was my 2nd KGS offense (I am at KGS since 2003). I can't remember what the first one was about, but it could be that I talked about things unrelated to go in an open chat.

@warrior: My comment was definitely aiming at females not able to do what men can do. The typical macho attitude, but wrapped as an humorous remark like if you see a women doing something good/bad and you teasing?!? her resp. the community a bit about her sex. As a real sexist comment I'd have considering the following: Wow, this girl can really think well and that's something since we all know that women are not there for thinking, but for different stuff...am I right guys, hahaha?

Post #98 Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:29 pm 
Oza

Bill Spight wrote:
Skydyr indicated that it would be difficult for the admin to judge the appropriateness of the remarks without knowing the people involved. Boidhre did not disagree, but said that the admin could not be expected to know "what can and cannot be said." I am assuming that they are both right. :) In that case, my opinion remains the same. If you don't know the facts of the situation, find out.

More, speaking from experience, if a conversation is fast moving you don't have the time to figure out all the facts of the situation. Sometimes you have to make calls based on just the text in front of you and text doesn't convey tone well.

Post #99 Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:30 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 105
Was liked: 123
Pippen wrote:
My comment was definitely aiming at females not able to do what men can do. The typical macho attitude, but wrapped as an humorous remark like if you see a women doing something good/bad and you teasing?!? her resp. the community a bit about her sex. As a real sexist comment I'd have considering the following: Wow, this girl can really think well and that's something since we all know that women are not there for thinking, but for different stuff...am I right guys, hahaha?

Ummmm, yeah, I'm siding with the KGS admin on this one... :scratch: ;-)

Last edited by deja on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #100 Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:34 pm 
Oza

Pippen wrote:
Boidhre wrote:
It's a public go server not a small club where everyone knows each other and knows what can and cannot be said.

Do u want a server where people discuss in an aseptic " we just make it right for everyone" style? I do not. I want people to speak up their minds except if they insult people or if they bothering people in an obvious inappropriate way, e.g. if I would have written over 10 moves that this girl sucks or that everyone should come to my new church or whatever. In dubio pro libertate! That should be the guidance. It would make life a lot easier - for the people and for the admins, because the admins could focus more on the real issues. Again: I can understand the admin here and maybe I went too far, but then again: Can I say (during kibitzing) that this girl is pretty or is this already sexual harassment on KGS or vice versa: Can I say that I find her not pretty? It becomes really nitpicking from there. All that is not a real problem, but maybe because of that a nice discussion topic^^.

I don't want a server like that, I've never said I do. I personally have a high tolerance for most kinds of things said online. I don't own or control KGS though, so it's pretty immaterial what I think. I think the rules are way too strict but given the rules and the general methodology of the admins on there from what I've seen, your ban was consistent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next