It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unable to launch the application
Post #1 Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:40 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
KGS: Toshiro
Hi everybody. I'm getting this error every time i try to load CGoban 3 on win 8 for half a year - http://clip2net.com/s/4JhOgd

KGS Admins didn't say anything useful when I mailed them, so they're useless.

Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Unable to launch the application
Post #2 Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:31 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Maybe you have a firewall which is block the download of the jnlp. You could try downloading the jar file (which is the actual CGoban program, the jnlp is just a text file wrapper with some metadata which points to the jar) directly from http://files.gokgs.com/javaBin/cgoban.jar and running that (if double clicking it doesn't work then open a command window in the folder with the jar and run "java -jar cgoban.jar".

Post #3 Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:35 am 
Dies with sente

Was liked: 11
KGS: bgrieco
IGS: bgrieco
Online playing schedule: at night 21:00 - 00:00 UTC-3
It appears you haven't been able to dowload the application from the site.
Cgoban is a java web start app, which means that clicking on it should download the app and run it altogether.
Try saving the file cgoban.jnlp to disk and opening from your computer. It should download the app.
Otherwise, check your java set up for updates, etc.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:14 am 
Beginner

I've downloaded the jar-file, and applications starts... but it says that goserver.gokgs.com refuses connections when i try to log in... and i don't have a firewall except KIS - but its log doesn't show anything that blocks java...

Post #5 Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:09 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 1562
Was liked: 140
GD Posts: 892
Does your firewall block KGS's communication port( port 2379 )?

Post #6 Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:13 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
Did you happen to load kgs at a hotel or coffee shop that happens to have one of those " agree to the terms of service before connecting to the internet" splash pages? if you load kgs before clicking agree it will corrupt the cached version of cgoban on your computer. Deleting cgoban, clearing your java webstart cache and downloading cgoban again may help.

This post by Mef was liked by 2 people: Phelan, Twitchy Go

Post #7 Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:05 am 
Beginner

no-no, i just installed fresh windows 8 on my PC at home - and Firefox + JRE 7. And CGoban 3 doesn't work on them... i've tried to find where 2379 port could be blocked, but found nothing...

Post #8 Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:11 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 59
Was liked: 20
Universal go server handle: TwitchyGo
Online playing schedule: When I can, not necessarily often. Yet sometimes alot. <shrug>
Mef wrote:
Did you happen to load kgs at a hotel or coffee shop that happens to have one of those " agree to the terms of service before connecting to the internet" splash pages? if you load kgs before clicking agree it will corrupt the cached version of cgoban on your computer. Deleting cgoban, clearing your java webstart cache and downloading cgoban again may help.

Just wanted to say thanks Mef. Campus Wifi had had troubles Saturday morning so I went to Starbucks to play on kgs. Later I found out I couldn't open sgf offline with cgoban. Fortunately I could still get on kgs so I just used opened stuff in multi go. Your suggestion fixed the error though! :bow:

Post #9 Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:06 pm 
Judan

Was liked: 789
Windows 8 or Windows 8 RT?

Have you tried offline installation?

http://senseis.xmp.net/?CGoban3OfflineInstallation

Post #10 Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:18 am 
Beginner

Windows 8 PRO - on a PC of course. Yep i've tried offline installation - same thing.((

Post #11 Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:29 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
In my experience with xp, if problems with cgoban crop up, they can often be solved by deleting the file from within java, and then downloading it again. I have no experience with windows after xp, but I imagine that the java control panel is the same, so open it and under temporary internet files click view and delete cgoban there. Good luck!

Post #12 Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:38 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 15
I don't know if it's in any way relevant to your problems, but
have you tried downgrading to JRE6?

Last time I tried JRE7 I had to gave up due to problems with KGS. :cry:

Post #13 Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:55 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 102
Was liked: 66
KGS: stalkor
when i had this problem i noticed the icon was missing and it wouldnt launch or install cgoban. somehow it was still under installed software in windows so i uninstalled it there and then reinstalled the client via gokgs.com.

This solved the problem for me until a cgoban update happened (this would repeat itself). This was for my windows XP machine so it might not relate to windows 8 though.

so try this out, see if it helps.
good luck

Post #14 Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:26 am 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
Toshiro, did you try clearing your cache?

I do not think your problem is the one Mef highlights (the error message would be the html of the log-in screen of the guilty WiFi network) but it's an extremely common problem, can creep up on you in your own home, and cannot be solved in any way other than clearing the cache.

Post #15 Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:47 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 12
KGS: UnclMartin
Toshiro wrote:
I've downloaded the jar-file, and applications starts... but it says that goserver.gokgs.com refuses connections when i try to log in... and i don't have a firewall except KIS - but its log doesn't show anything that blocks java...

Are you sure KIS is the only active firewall? In my experience, some users have been behind two firewalls, thinking they are behind only one. Some of them did not deactivate the Windows firewall when installing third-party security software. Others have been behind a firewall at work or school, which, of course, would not apply in your case, since you are at home. Do you have a home network? If so, is there a firewall in your router?

It might not help, but if you are grasping at straws, you might try 32 bit Java for Windows if your current version is 64 bit. http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_win64bit.xml

daal wrote:
In my experience with xp, if problems with cgoban crop up, they can often be solved by deleting the file from within java, and then downloading it again. I have no experience with windows after xp, but I imagine that the java control panel is the same, so open it and under temporary internet files click view and delete cgoban there. Good luck!

It is surprising how often removing CGoban 3 from the web start cache and re-downloading it fixes problems! There is a page at Sensei's on this, which may be longer than most people need.

Post #16 Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:06 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
OGS: hibbs
Hi all,

I just experienced the same problem. I have a Win8 convertible (Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 13) for a little more than one month. It came with a pre-installed trial of McAffee antivirus and everthing was working well.
I changed now to KIS and I have the same problem. I tried to disable the KIS firewall, that had no effect. Disabling KIS altogether worked, CGoban could connect again.
Of course this is not a sustainable solution. Lter today I will try to fiddle with the KIS settings to find out what the problem is.

Post #17 Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:45 pm 
Dies in gote

I got it. The KIS "Web Anti Virus" was the culprit. After disabling it CGoban3 would connect again. I have now added "gokgs.com" to the list of trusted sites in "Web Anti Virus" ->"Settings" -> "Trusted URLs" and everything works as it should.

This post by hibbs was liked by: Phelan

Post #18 Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:47 am 
Beginner

Perhaps it's not only the "Web Anti Virus" that matters... cause i've tried to do same as u did - and nothing changed...

But it's clear that KIS is responsible for that - cause when I shut it down - everything works fine.

But when it's on - even if the "Web Anti Virus" is off - it prevents CGoban connection.

What else in KIS 2013 could prevent connection?

Post #19 Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:01 pm 
Dies in gote

Toshiro wrote:
What else in KIS 2013 could prevent connection?

I don't know (since my system works now...)
If I were you, I would switch of each module individually and try.

KIS has a setting "log non-critical events", probably you can find a hint in the report...
Good luck!