Post subject: KGS Games Question
Post #1 Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:35 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 3
KGS: AKaios
IGS: AKaios
Kaya handle: AKaios
Online playing schedule: KGS about 20:00-3:00 (UTC -7)
For some reason I am unable to figure this out. I don't even know if it's possible at all. But are you able to pull up a past game of yours so that you can save it or re-visit it? When you go to 'Users' and you click on 'games', is it possible to open those games back up so you can review them?

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but for some reason I can't figure it out.

Post subject: Re: KGS Games Question
Post #2 Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:47 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 114
AKaios wrote:
For some reason I am unable to figure this out. I don't even know if it's possible at all. But are you able to pull up a past game of yours so that you can save it or re-visit it? When you go to 'Users' and you click on 'games', is it possible to open those games back up so you can review them?

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but for some reason I can't figure it out.

Right click a game -> 'Load in...' -> pick a room.

This post by amnal was liked by: Bonobo

Post #3 Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:29 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 3
KGS: AKaios
IGS: AKaios
Kaya handle: AKaios
Online playing schedule: KGS about 20:00-3:00 (UTC -7)
I even saw those options. Don't know why I thought they wouldn't work. Thank you for such a fast reply! :tmbup:

Post #4 Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:52 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 150
Universal go server handle: judicata
Or right-click one of the games and select "Copy game to disk." Save it where you want, and view/edit in KGS (or any other SGF editor).

This post by judicata was liked by: Bonobo

Post #5 Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:34 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 92
Was liked: 80
KGS: LocoRon
The KGS UI only lists games from the recent past (I don't remember the exact range, I'm guessing somewhere from 2-6 months). If you want to look up even older games, you can find them on the KGS website, here.

Another, even more interesting option for finding old games is KGS Analytics. :)

Post #6 Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:20 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
LocoRon wrote:
The KGS UI only lists games from the recent past (I don't remember the exact range, I'm guessing somewhere from 2-6 months).

It is six months. Being available in the UI means they are still saved on the server. This is also why six months is the length of time that they will affect your rating, count for tilde calculations, etc.

Post #7 Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:03 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Mef wrote:
It is six months. ...

Not 180 days? IIRC, another feature - account expiration - happens in 180 days, which makes a difference between 6 months when more than one person wants an account.

Post #8 Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:00 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 318
Was liked: 345
Kirby wrote:
Mef wrote:
It is six months. ...

Not 180 days? IIRC, another feature - account expiration - happens in 180 days, which makes a difference between 6 months when more than one person wants an account.

You'd have preferred if he said 182 or 183 days instead of six months?

Not sure if you are being pedantic, or joking. Hoping for the latter...

Post #9 Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:42 pm 
Honinbo

wineandgolover wrote:

You'd have preferred if he said 182 or 183 days instead of six months?...

Nah, if the actual time period is 180 days, I would've preferred he said 180 days instead of six months ;-)

Post #10 Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:42 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 82
Was liked: 65
Kirby wrote:
wineandgolover wrote:

Nah, if the actual time period is 180 days, I would've preferred he said 180 days instead of six months ;-)

It's my understanding that it's actually 180 days plus a few days until the next time the housekeeping routine runs, where "a few" ranges between "zero" and "several" or maybe as long as a week. But that would be too complicated to write out each time, so "six months" is a good shorthand way of saying it.

Post #11 Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:38 pm 
Honinbo

Nyanjilla wrote:

It's my understanding that it's actually 180 days plus a few days until the next time the housekeeping routine runs, where "a few" ranges between "zero" and "several" or maybe as long as a week. But that would be too complicated to write out each time, so "six months" is a good shorthand way of saying it.

Seems somewhat consistent with my experience, but I still usually go for 180 days when I'm account sniping. If I wait for 6 months, someone always beats me to it. In this case, better to be too early than too late!

Post #12 Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:00 am 
Lives with ko

Kirby wrote:
Nyanjilla wrote:

Seems somewhat consistent with my experience, but I still usually go for 180 days when I'm account sniping. If I wait for 6 months, someone always beats me to it. In this case, better to be too early than too late!

Yeah, well, there was one time a certain account-sniper got very impatient at 180 days, and kept PMing me to ask why the account hadn't been released. It seemed like I received a week or so of nagging before the name was available again.

:grumpy:

Or maybe it just seemed that long.

So certainly start hovering at 180 days, but don't bug admins if it takes longer....

Post #13 Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:34 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
Kirby wrote:
wineandgolover wrote:

crontab understands the concept of months as a unit of time. I don't understand why you want to know the number of days instead.

Post #14 Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:34 pm 
Honinbo

xed_over wrote:
Kirby wrote:
wineandgolover wrote:

crontab understands the concept of months as a unit of time. I don't understand why you want to know the number of days instead.

Because 6 months is greater than 180 days. And if I want to snipe an account, if I wait for 6 months, it's possible that someone else takes the account before I do after it expires. Like Nyanjilla said, it could technically be greater than 180 days if the "cleaning" task doesn't happen, but since 180 days seems to be the earliest an account can be sniped, I recommend using this.

This is a concern with account sniping, and not so much for game expiration. But my assumption is that the same time period is used.

Post #15 Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:04 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Maybe making life easier for account snipers is not KGS's top priority?

Post #16 Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:41 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
I'm puzzled about how this sniping and why a few days matter. Surely if you are trying to grab the "joseki" account, you need to know when the account was registered (or last accessed)? Which you can't realistically do, presumably. How does housekeeping work? Does it only run every six months? Or more frequently, and applies 6 month rules on dormant accounts?

Post #17 Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:53 am 
Lives with ko

quantumf wrote:
I'm puzzled about how this sniping and why a few days matter. Surely if you are trying to grab the "joseki" account, you need to know when the account was registered (or last accessed)? Which you can't realistically do, presumably. How does housekeeping work? Does it only run every six months? Or more frequently, and applies 6 month rules on dormant accounts?

The last time an account was logged into is shown in its profile, so it's easy enough to count 180 days from that date. It would be even easier to count six months, of course.

There is some interest in re-registering ("sniping") certain names that have expired or are about to expire.

As far as I know, there's a housekeeping routine on the server that activates every few days to tidy up resources that are no longer needed such as older games, abandoned account names, unused rooms, and maybe other things too. It checks through all those resources and removes those that have passed their use-by dates since the last time it ran. That's 180 days for games and account names, but a shorter time for rooms. That process takes a while, so presumably that is why it isn't activated more frequently.

Post #18 Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:30 pm 
Honinbo

Uberdude wrote:
Maybe making life easier for account snipers is not KGS's top priority?

Sure, but that does not affect the accuracy that an account can expire before 6 months.

Post #19 Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:35 pm 
Honinbo

quantumf wrote:
I'm puzzled about how this sniping and why a few days matter.

Because someone else might take the account before you. If you think that it takes 6 months for an account to expire, it's possible, as I understand, that the account expires before then (around 180 days). Snipers that are waiting on KGS 24/7 need the lowest bounds possible.

If you're really paranoid, might as well start checking 24/7 for expiration around 150 days. But I'm pretty sure 180 days is the lower bound allowed by the system.

Post #20 Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:18 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
Kirby wrote:
Because someone else might take the account before you.

Is there a thriving after-market in vanity account names? If so, how does one get involved in it?