All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: KGS Games Question
Post #21 Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:17 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
I think it works like with all other such jobs:
1. The rule is account expires after 180 days (or 6 months or whatever)
2. The cron task runs every so often and deletes expired accounts

Now, if the cron happens to run exactly on the 180th day after last account access, this is when it gets deleted. But more likely, these two dates do not coincide, so it might always take a few more days before the account is actually deleted. For example - if the cron runs every 2 weeks, it might take anywhere between 0-14 days after the 180 day period that the account gets deleted. What's more, the amount of extra days is more likely different each time, as you can imagine.

Anyways - 'account sniping' is such a very minor part of what a Go server is that I am surprised people even make an issue out of it. Man, I am surprised people actually do it. Just pick a nice name, and stick to it... The only reasonable reason for such 'sniping' i can see is when you let your own account expire by mistake and want it back... But then - people are weird...

This post by Bantari was liked by: speedchase

Post #22 Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:27 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 12
KGS: UnclMartin
I suspect the housekeeping service runs nearly continuously, or at least several times a day. Click "File" and then "Sever Stats." Then, try it several minutes later. If there have been no registrations in those few minutes, you have a good chance of seeing that the Current number of Accounts dropped slightly.

Post #23 Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:32 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
UnclMartin wrote:
I suspect the housekeeping service runs nearly continuously, or at least several times a day. Click "File" and then "Sever Stats." Then, try it several minutes later. If there have been no registrations in those few minutes, you have a good chance of seeing that the Current number of Accounts dropped slightly.

The number under server stats includes guest accounts, which are deleted immediately upon logout if they aren't registered.

Post #24 Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:21 am 
Oza

Liked others: 2341
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
If you look at the game lists for the older aya bots, which play pretty much continuously, you can see that the earliest games are generally within a few minutes of 180 days old.

This post by ez4u was liked by: Kirby

Post #25 Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:36 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 31
KGS: 2d
Here is another question - what can be the reason if a game is "forfeited"? Can one always conclude "forfeit" -> "escaper who got punished"? I recently played "pomelo" and I noticed that whenever he left games he immediately lost due to "forfeit", but then I also saw an unfinished game in his list which shouldn't be there if my theory was correct.

Post #26 Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:28 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
Pippen wrote:
Here is another question - what can be the reason if a game is "forfeited"? Can one always conclude "forfeit" -> "escaper who got punished"? I recently played "pomelo" and I noticed that whenever he left games he immediately lost due to "forfeit", but then I also saw an unfinished game in his list which shouldn't be there if my theory was correct.

You are only flagged as an "escaper" if you are the first to leave a timed, rated game. The unfinished games in his profile would most likely have been games that were either free, untimed, or he was not the first to leave.