It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is KGS developement dead or just slow?
Post #61 Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:49 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
1. Actually, I don't use a Mac anymore, though it was the platform I mentioned I might start using. That just depends on whether I decide I don't care enough about FOSS and whether I can save a few pennies. I use windows at work (where I have perhaps once or twice gone on a go client), Ubuntu at home, and iOS.

2. In spite of that, Mac applications typically have a lot of UI consistency that is present to a lesser degree in Windows, and users who guard that consistency more jealously. I used to be incredibly annoyed that you had to use Ctrl to cut/copy/paste in KGS. Now I just take I'm just resigned to the idea that my Windows (and oh my jesus, Linux) apps will have less consistency than I expect.

So if your goal is to avoid complaints about the look and feel of your app, target iOS and the Mac for your most exacting UI work. But that little aside was the least important piece of what I said. If you disagree, it only makes it harder for someone to get it right.

Edit: phrasing

Post #62 Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:52 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
hyperpape wrote:
1. Actually, I don't use a Mac anymore, though it was the platform that I could start using again, if I decide I don't care enough about FOSS and I save a few pennies. I use windows at work (where I have perhaps once or twice gone on a go client), Ubuntu at home, and iOS.

2. In spite of that, Mac applications typically have a lot of UI consistency that is present to a lesser degree in Windows, and users who guard that consistency more jealously. I used to be incredibly annoyed that you had to use Ctrl to cut/copy/paste in KGS. Now I just take I'm just resigned to the idea that my Windows (and oh my jesus, Linux) apps will have less consistency than I expect.

So if your goal is to avoid complaints about the look and feel of your app, target iOS and the Mac for your most exacting UI work. But that little aside was the least important piece of what I said. If you disagree, it only makes it harder for someone to get it right.

That makes more sense. I realize it wasn't the main point of your statement, but it piqued my curiousity enough to inquire.

Post #63 Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:15 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
skydyr wrote:
hyperpape wrote:
1) A fully functional native app for every platform I use (that's three currently, but I might swap one of those three out for a new one before too long). Oh, and each of them should be consistent with that platform's UI conventions.

Well, 1 is out of the question. Almost no one manages it. Your best bet is to make nice iOS and Mac apps, and then do a weaker job on Windows and Android in hopes that their users are less picky (but they probably still won't be content).

Why do you assume that time is best spent on iOS and Mac? They seems like they have a smaller userbase than Windows.

Because by default Windows gets a decent client? :P

Post #64 Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:48 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 4
KGS: Ryuukun
Tygem: JoeFutile
OGS: Ryuukun
Universal go server handle: Ryuukun
DrStraw wrote:
maproom wrote:
Ryuuuun, you wrote
Quote:
KGS is nice as it is, don't get me wrong, I like KGS alot, but it can be improved upon drastically as it is pretty dated already.
I am tempted to ask, if you regard "dated" as a criticism, why are you interested in Go?

I accept that KGS has its defects. But while it's better than any of its rivals, I don't complain about it.

Notice that the OP seems to have faded into the background and others have taken up the thread.

I found the comment of maproom to be so lazy and predictable that I didn't feel any need to answer on it. Of course KGs gets the job done and there's no need for sound as long as you can still play. But does that mean it's fine as it is? I don't think so. Answers like these are just lazy excuses from people that for some reason feel way too attached to something. Have read them hundreds of times already and frankly I'm sick of them, thus I faded away and let the discussion go on without me.

Post #65 Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:53 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
Ryuukun wrote:
If the man in charge is really not interessted in continuing he or she might as well pass the torch. I believe there are many people that would put their heart into this server.

Like who?!?
From what I see, those who would, already do (Nova!) And many of them who try just fizzle out (Kaya!)
Other than this - I see no legions of programmers eagerly awaiting their chance at developing (or even maintaining) a Go server.

Post #66 Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:27 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 31
KGS: 2d
Is there a development where people move away from KGS? Like: Are there about as many members at KGS like 3 years ago? I just ask because yesterday I played my first game at tygem and I know it'll sound silly, but the sound there made such an impression to me^^. I would not have believed it, but if you have a choice then a working sound rounds up the whole playing experience.

Post #67 Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:52 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
Pippen wrote:
Is there a development where people move away from KGS? Like: Are there about as many members at KGS like 3 years ago? I just ask because yesterday I played my first game at tygem and I know it'll sound silly, but the sound there made such an impression to me^^. I would not have believed it, but if you have a choice then a working sound rounds up the whole playing experience.

I've heard anecdotal evidence, people saying that there were much fewer of X rank recently than Y years ago due to whatever reason (the fall of the Hikaru wave being a common one). I've not seen any hard numbers though.

Post #68 Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:29 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 213
Was liked: 96
GD Posts: 325
Pippen wrote:
Is there a development where people move away from KGS?

I mostly play on Tygem these days or on WBaduk when I am on iPad.

(I do not have the stone-click problem because I am avoiding the Java update. I do not understand, however, that repairing this issue is such problem, apparently.)

While KGS has great teaching tools, just for playing, I like the Tygem client more, mostly because it is more responsive (no lagging) and has voice countdown in byo-yomi.

So yes, I have more or less moved away from KGS.

Post #69 Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:10 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 5
Bantari wrote:
Ryuukun wrote:
If the man in charge is really not interessted in continuing he or she might as well pass the torch. I believe there are many people that would put their heart into this server.

Like who?!?
From what I see, those who would, already do (Nova!)

I'm not sure I follow. "Since people motivated enough to create completely new servers from scratch, there's no need to let them improve KGS." Is that what you're saying?

Bantari wrote:
Other than this - I see no legions of programmers eagerly awaiting their chance at developing (or even maintaining) a Go server.

Then you're not looking. Many programmers who use KGS daily would be more than happy to make fixes and improvements, just to make their own lifes easier. Finding a new maintainer would not be an issue. That cgoban-h exists even though cgoban.jar is so thorougly obfuscated is proof enough.

Post #70 Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:26 am 
Gosei

jlaire wrote:
Bantari wrote:
Ryuukun wrote:

Like who?!?
From what I see, those who would, already do (Nova!)

I'm not sure I follow. "Since people motivated enough to create completely new servers from scratch, there's no need to let them improve KGS." Is that what you're saying?

Not at all, this is not what I am saying.
What I am saying is this: WMS stated many times he does not wish any helpers in KGS development. He has been repeating it for many years, and repeatedly. I just take this as my starting point - case closed.

Having the above - there are two options. Somebody writes a new server (from scratch, from Kaya's corpse, whatever) or somebody convinces WMS to *give* them KGS in its wholesome wholeness. Fat chance that will happen, imho, but lets say this is a possibility.

In either case - this will involve not just making changes to a server here and there, as needed, on a hobby-basis - but a serious full-blown server maintenance and development investment.

My contention is that people who would be willing to take this upon themselves, who have enough dedication, motivation, skill, time, and resources - they would already be doing it (thus my examples of Nova and Kaya.) It is hard for me to believe there is a set of people out there, with all these necessary attributes, just sitting there waiting, moaning and groaning that they have nothing to. And if this is what they do - they are the wrong people.

I understand there are a lot of programmers out there who would like to look at the code, tinker a little, and never look at it again - but I don't think KGS (or any server) could survive such model. As far as I know, there is no successful server out there based on such approach. The old NNGS was sort-of based on that, but even then it was based on a very small group of dedicated developers who had to commit, not just anybody with an itching typing finger.

Quote:
Bantari wrote:

Then you're not looking. Many programmers who use KGS daily would be more than happy to make fixes and improvements, just to make their own lifes easier. Finding a new maintainer would not be an issue. That cgoban-h exists even though cgoban.jar is so thorougly obfuscated is proof enough.

I am looking hard enough and have been around the block a few times.
And its not just an occasional 'tweak' we are talking about here - see above.

Why do you think so many servers or server-attempts fizzle out? Why do you think so many clients (for example IGS clients) become deprecated for lack of maintenance? Because to seriously maintain such project, even a much easier project like an IGS client or an SGF viewer, takes much more than just occasional tinker and fix.

At least - this is my opinion.

This post by Bantari was liked by: SpongeBob

Post #71 Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:17 pm 
Lives in gote

Boidhre wrote:
I've heard anecdotal evidence, people saying that there were much fewer of X rank recently than Y years ago due to whatever reason (the fall of the Hikaru wave being a common one). I've not seen any hard numbers though.

Well, my feeling is also that KGS loses members, because more and more I hear people that say it's hard to find an opponent and that they need to wait to long while at Tygem or IGS they get games more quickly. I just wonder...I'd not like KGS to have the fate of kaya.

Post #72 Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:44 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 5
Bantari wrote:
What I am saying is this: WMS stated many times he does not wish any helpers in KGS development. He has been repeating it for many years, and repeatedly. I just take this as my starting point - case closed.

This I know. But your "Like who?!?" sounded like there's nobody willing to help, which is completely different from not wanting help. (Of course, both may be true at the same time.)

Bantari wrote:
It is hard for me to believe there is a set of people out there, with all these necessary attributes, just sitting there waiting, moaning and groaning that they have nothing to. And if this is what they do - they are the wrong people.

I see what you're saying now, but I disagree. I know what it's like to start an ambitious project that competes with one that's well-established, and I know what it's like to maintain a mature software project. I think there's a world of difference between those two and at least personally I would be willing to do the latter in many cases where I wouldn't even consider the former.

Post #73 Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:59 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 10
KGS: PaperTiger
Bantari wrote:
I understand there are a lot of programmers out there who would like to look at the code, tinker a little, and never look at it again - but I don't think KGS (or any server) could survive such model. As far as I know, there is no successful server out there based on such approach. The old NNGS was sort-of based on that, but even then it was based on a very small group of dedicated developers who had to commit, not just anybody with an itching typing finger.

You're wrong. KGS has survived on an even worse model for years (near abandonment), to the point where a basic feature, sound, has stopped working. Even if wms just let somebody in to fix the occasional bug the situation would be much improved.

Post #74 Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:23 pm 
Gosei

PaperTiger wrote:
Bantari wrote:

You're wrong. KGS has survived on an even worse model for years (near abandonment), to the point where a basic feature, sound, has stopped working. Even if wms just let somebody in to fix the occasional bug the situation would be much improved.

I am not wrong.

KGS survived so long for a few very good reasons:
  • Tons of work and effort was put in to build the community over the years - most of it by one man, for free... but we cannot forget the volunteers as well (admins, organizers, etc.)
  • As part of the above - it has been diligently worked on and maintained over the years (present hiatus notwithstanding)
  • It fulfills the need of this community, for most parts, providing most of the functionality we need (even without the sound 'feature' - it is still better than most alternatives)
  • Every 'competitor' project so far either fizzled or did not take off (yet?) - and it remains to be seen if any will, in spite of all the work going into them

Now - some time ago KGS has slacked in maintenance and development.
It is not clear if it will survive that in the long run - unless something *big* happens, like a new client for example (yes yes, with the banged sound feature, fine!)
The mere fact that you we are talking about it, and that you (and some others) are so adamant about it - proves that KGS is not doing so well on the model of 'near abandonment.'

So lets recap:
  • As long as KGS was maintained and worked on - it grew and prospered (some isolated voices of discontent to the contrary)
  • Now that it becomes apparent that KGS is not well maintained anymore - there is a real danger that it will die

So no, I am not wrong.
If anything - all the above pretty much confirms what I was saying:
A *lot* of hard work and long thankless hours is needed to make something like that work.
And a very think skin - to deal with the few who constantly complain and bitch and point fingers.

Post #75 Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:39 pm 
Gosei

jlaire wrote:
Bantari wrote:

This I know. But your "Like who?!?" sounded like there's nobody willing to help, which is completely different from not wanting help. (Of course, both may be true at the same time.)

Bantari wrote:
It is hard for me to believe there is a set of people out there, with all these necessary attributes, just sitting there waiting, moaning and groaning that they have nothing to. And if this is what they do - they are the wrong people.

I see what you're saying now, but I disagree. I know what it's like to start an ambitious project that competes with one that's well-established, and I know what it's like to maintain a mature software project. I think there's a world of difference between those two and at least personally I would be willing to do the latter in many cases where I wouldn't even consider the former.

You are right, of course - there is a difference.

However, there is really no such thing as 'just maintaining' in the long run - unless you are locked in a very stagnant environment.

A project has to develop, to grow, to adjust and morph and change. Look at Kaya - it had a good potential to marginalize KGS. Maybe Nova will do it. And if not - there will be other contenders coming. For KGS to thrive in the future it needs to do much more than just fix a bug here and there like the sound issue. I am surprised people don't see this.

Look around the web - things are constantly changing, and they need to, even disregarding constant and furious changes to technology.

Word is wms is working on a HTML client - which is a great start. Next year something else might be needed, possibly - dedicated iOS client, video streaming, who knows... Each of such 'additions' can be a big project in itself, requiring many long hours of thankless work. Its not just maintenance. Who knows, maybe the server will even need to be re-written to get away from its Java source when it becomes insufficient. Whoever takes on the 'maintenance' task has to also be ready to take on all this bigger stuff, or we might as well leave it as it is - because all you are talking about is a few cosmetic adjustments and fixes which will not really change anything in the long run.

Post #76 Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:04 pm 
Dies with sente

Bantari wrote:
As part of the above - it has been diligently worked on and maintained over the years (present hiatus notwithstanding)

Let's get real here. Serious development beyond tinkering stopped many, many years ago. Saying it has been "diligently" worked on in even the last 5 years is a joke. About the only area where significant effort has been put into has been the Android client, and that's a paid app. Getting back to the level where basic issues like sound are fixed would be a big improvement and get back to where the server has been for quite some time.

Post #77 Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:07 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
PaperTiger wrote:
About the only area where significant effort has been put into has been the Android client, and that's a paid app.
:scratch: So there hasn't been any work done except for the work that's been done? I guess that's true...

This post by hyperpape was liked by: speedchase

Post #78 Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:41 pm 
Dies with sente

hyperpape wrote:
PaperTiger wrote:
About the only area where significant effort has been put into has been the Android client, and that's a paid app.
:scratch: So there hasn't been any work done except for the work that's been done? I guess that's true...

What I said is true. I said significant effort, to correspond with Bantari's "diligent", not just "any work". And I can back it up, because wms helpfully publishes his changelogs online:

http://files.gokgs.com/changeLog-2007.txt
http://files.gokgs.com/changeLog-2008.txt
http://files.gokgs.com/changeLog-2009.txt
http://files.gokgs.com/changeLog-2010.txt
http://files.gokgs.com/changeLog.txt (2011-present)

Notice the dropoff from 2007 to 2008? (Yes, you'll have to click to see.) In 2007 he was average updates about every 3 months. In 2008 he had a gap between releases in February and December in which no releases were made, and it's not like December's release made up for it by including a ton of changes.

The last update was in Mar of 2012, and was an Android-only update.

Post #79 Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:50 pm 
Lives in gote

Other than the sound feature I do not see why KGS needs further "maintance". It's a finished product. One of the mistakes of kaya was it to try to implement too many features. KGS is simple, stable & intuitive - that's its advantage. And as I understand WMS's work he's just rewriting KGS webbased, without significant changes.

Post #80 Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:30 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 62
There are several voices asking for new features (e.g., iPad versions, talking clocks, one-colour go, video streaming). Each of these is nice in its own right. Each of them also requires an investment of time to build, test and maintain. Let's look at the practicalities.

1. KGS is free to use (although you have to pay for the additional KGS Plus lectures and tournaments). Therefore, revenue doesn't exist to pay Bill to work on it full-time.

2. Bill has an actual job. The job market in IT in the US now is difficult. If Bill were to quit paid employment in order to work on KGS for free, it's a financial sacrifice for him and there's certainly no guaranntee that he'd get a job equivalent to the one he has now. Why would he do this?

For the people who are complaining about KGS' functionality, there is an option. Work together to identify a financial model that would provide Bill with the time and financial support required to work on KGS full-time. It's easy to type indignant comments about how KGS should have more features. Instead, work to make it happen. Complaining is the easy part.

This post by BigDoug was liked by: Bantari

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next