It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GoRoGo
Post #1 Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:35 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 181
Was liked: 41
GoRoGo is an interesting-looking Go variant played on a 5x5 board with black, white and neutral pieces. Alas, the rules in the official site aren't very well written, and the exact behaviour of neutral pieces isn't entirely clear to me. I'm assuming that, after a placement, only those groups adjacent to the placement can be removed.

Post subject: Re: GoRoGo
Post #2 Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:02 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I read rule 3 to say that on the next turn all groups lacking a liberty would be removed. How do you read it?

Post #3 Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:18 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
The henge pieces are never removed, as it shows in the example. Kind of an interesting concept.

Seems basically like Go, except:
* Object is to capture the most pieces, while always having a legal play, and playing all your henge stones before the last turn. Oh, and you have a limited number of stones to play.

* henge stones can't be captured, so you can play them anywhere, even if the stone would normally have no liberties.

* on black's turn, henge stone acts as a black stone. On white's turn, it acts as a white stone.

L19 diagrams support half black half white stones, so maybe we should play a game.

Post #4 Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:39 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 181
Was liked: 41
hyperpape wrote:
I read rule 3 to say that on the next turn all groups lacking a liberty would be removed. How do you read it?

I was thinking that, in the third example, the single white stone in the center wouldn't be removed after any black placement, but that's not the case. It's clear from the rules that it will indeed be removed.

Post #5 Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:17 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 8
Universal go server handle: FuriousGeorge
Yeah, seems like in the #3 example that white stone is a goner, but I'm a little confused at the last part of that rule:

"If black player has no legal take, he loses the game immediately. He can avoid defeat of game. It is very effective when he obtains more pieces."

Is that referring to the situation in #3 with the henge stone suicide? Or just in general for the game?

Some interesting constraints. I would probably get really tripped up by those henge pieces.

Post #6 Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:48 am 
Honinbo

FuriousGeorge wrote:
I'm a little confused at the last part of that rule:

"If black player has no legal take, he loses the game immediately. He can avoid defeat of game. It is very effective when he obtains more pieces."

Is that referring to the situation in #3 with the henge stone suicide? Or just in general for the game?

Here's an example I constructed, based on my interpretation of the rules:
Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$B
$$ ------------
$$ | O O * X X |
$$ | O X X X * |
$$ | O X X X C |
$$ | O O X X * |
$$ | O O O * C |
$$ ------------[/go]

There are no captures, yet. Black has played all 10 of his pieces. White has played 9.

If the Henge stones were regular black stones, white wouldn't be able to play in either of the marked spots. White would lose since white has no legal move to play. But since they are considered as white stones for this turn, white can play:

[go]$$B
$$ ------------
$$ | O O * X X |
$$ | O X X X * |
$$ | O X X X W |
$$ | O O X X * |
$$ | O O O * . |
$$ ------------[/go]

According to the rules, now that all of the stones have been played, the game is over. Since neither player has any captures, the score is tied, and white wins.

Note that, if players could keep playing, black would automatically capture the stone white just played on the next turn, since the Henge stones are considered black for that turn.

Post #7 Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:25 pm 
Honinbo

Thinking about it, I guess my example doesn't work since white has no liberties on the left.

Perhaps if white had two eyes on the left, this kind of example would work.

[go]$$B
$$ ------------
$$ | O O * X * |
$$ | . O X X * |
$$ | O O X X C |
$$ | . O X X * |
$$ | O O O X C |
$$ ------------[/go]

Ok, say White captured two of black's stones like this. Now, white can play the marked area as described above.

This post by Kirby was liked by: luigi