All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: I lose to another 8k
Post #21 Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:14 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 114
thequietcenter wrote:
Aphelion wrote:
I'm fairly convinced that your overreliance on Wilcox's material is actually hindering your progress, but I don't think you will listen. If you are willing to give it a thought, I will explain more.

No, I wont listen. Pretty much KGS Teaching Ladder is where I learn now.

That and Wilcox's go dojo.

What would you do if Wilcox told you to ignore his advice?

Post subject: Re: I lose to another 8k
Post #22 Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:03 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 65
KGS: Numsgil
As someone who really likes Wilcox's material and knows it very well, I will weigh in a bit :) Basically, you're not quite getting some of the more advanced lessons.

For instance, you did not tenuki from urgent positions (that's good), but you seem over zealous about treating every stone as valuable (that's bad), and the result is that you end up over concentrated. There are many times you made mistakes as bad as adding liberties to a group with 6 or more already.

1. For instance, black 15. I won't say it's a bad move (you do probably need to protect your eyespace), but you end up very over concentrated.

2. The 17-18 exchange gives you some eye space, but it makes 19 over concentrated. Without the 17-18 exchange, 19 threatens to peek into white's base and makes shape, making it a more dual purpose move. As it is, 19 is overconcentrated. Your group is also very strong, though.

3. 21 is the "proper" response only if you treat this stone as isolated. It is not. There is overwhelming black thickness here, which makes the stone virtually connected to the other nearby stones. Have you done the section in contact fights about virtual connections? This is basically like adding liberties to a group with 7 or 8 liberties already.

4. 23: This isn't in Wilcox's material at all, but it is in Yilun Yang's (if you like Wilcox's approach, you should pick up some of Yilun Yang's materials also. Eg: Fundamental Principles of Go). You'd be better off approaching white's 3-4 stone, as it's simply the bigger move.

5. 31: Have you done the sector fight material yet? Can white's stone run to the sides? (Hint: yes, to the right). If so, then trying to cap the grouse in is premature (I could be mangling this lesson a bit, actually, since you do have K4 acting as a light pincer. I'd have to look at the material again to see what it would say about the position). Regardless, H3 instead would be a good move to solidify your territory and pincer the stone and force it to run out. Even with a one space extension it would still be within your sector line. The problem is that center thickness isn't useful for you. I know there's sections in the sector fight material about picking direction.

6. 33: You do need to respond, but you picked the wrong direction. This move has no profit. K3 helps secure territory and limits white's eyespace. I know this is in Wilcox's material, though I forget where exactly.

Basically, you have some of the basic lessons down, but you don't understand some of the more advanced lessons, and you don't seem to have an overarching plan. You need to have some idea about what you're trying to achieve, and then use Wilcox's material as the means to that end. He talks about this in the sector fights material where he has a game with half a dozen weak running groups battling each other.