It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How do you like Tygem?
Post #21 Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:26 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
LovroKlc wrote:
I dont't get what is the problem with tygem software. For me, both wbaduk and tygem are much nicer then KGS.

Agreed. I prefer the game interface and I much prefer the lag handling. The stuff around the game, e.g. reviews, or finding friends, or chatting, is just a case of getting used to it. I still mostly use KGS but that's because my friends are using it.

Post #22 Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:49 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 351
Was liked: 66
quantumf wrote:
LovroKlc wrote:
I dont't get what is the problem with tygem software. For me, both wbaduk and tygem are much nicer then KGS.

Agreed. I prefer the game interface and I much prefer the lag handling. The stuff around the game, e.g. reviews, or finding friends, or chatting, is just a case of getting used to it. I still mostly use KGS but that's because my friends are using it.

I also think Tygem's interface is 100% better on iPad than KGS. Of course that's largely due to the fact there's no KGS iOS client…

Post #23 Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:11 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 41
Was liked: 97
GD Posts: 351
imabuddha wrote:
I also think Tygem's interface is 100% better on iPad than KGS. Of course that's largely due to the fact there's no KGS iOS client…

How well is the iPhone/iPod/iPad client working? I'm almost sold on an iPad2 (instead of an Android tablet), and the lack of an iOS client for KGS has been one of those aspects that delayed my decision. Knowing that there is one for Tygem helped it. :)

Post #24 Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:20 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 351
Was liked: 66
Mivo wrote:
How well is the iPhone/iPod/iPad client working? I'm almost sold on an iPad2 (instead of an Android tablet), and the lack of an iOS client for KGS has been one of those aspects that delayed my decision. Knowing that there is one for Tygem helped it. :)

So far I've only used it to watch other games, but I like it. It's very different from KGS on a regular computer though. It's been updated once so far to add a couple of features, but it's still lacking a lot compared to their desktop version.

Post #25 Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:12 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I have played some games on Tygem with the iPad. It wasn't half bad.

Post #26 Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:24 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 41
Was liked: 97
GD Posts: 351
Does it store games locally, like the Windows version does? (I guess I'll become an iSheep next week. :))

Post #27 Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:41 pm 
Site Admin

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 121
Universal go server handle: Jordus
Yes it stores games locally. On vista and windows7 it stores at

c:\users\Your username\appdata\local\virtualstore\Program files\tygemglobal\games

or

c:\program files\tygemglobal\games\

For some reason my games are split between both folders.....

*EDIT* Oops... didn't realize you were asking about the ipad version... well here is the onfo in case someone else is wondering lol...

Post #28 Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:08 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
LovroKlc wrote:
tropicana wrote:
I really like tygem. The software is so ugly and at times feels unresponsive and bloated, but there is a ton of strong players and it's very easy to get a game.

I'm glad they opened up a server for foreigners.

I dont't get what is the problem with tygem software. For me, both wbaduk and tygem are much nicer then KGS. The only problem I currently find in tygem is closing of rooms for new loggins when they are too full. But still, when top rooms are too full, there are more people in the other rooms so it is still easy to find a game, only problem is missing the real top players games...

If you have a paid for account, you can enter any area. I don't know if the English client has such accounts, yet, but they may later.

Post #29 Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:02 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 71
GD Posts: 175
Yesterday I managed to find a couple of hours to play some games on tygem for the first time. I registered as 4k but I found 3-4k players a lot weaker than those on KGS. They are certainly much more aggressive but leave a lot of weaknesses behind. The challenge is exploiting them for hunting the hunter. Similar style to that of wbaduk but very much different from KGS.

Post #30 Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:22 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
KGS: burrito
I really love playing on Tygem on the iPad because it requires two taps to submit a move. I've lost so many games on IGS using Tengen go due to misclicks. I don't find it hard to play a serious game there.

The app itself isn't technically that good otherwise. There's no chat. It doesn't change orientation. You can't download games. You can't view profiles. Really - it's not very good. But, they did make the actual game play work well. I highly recommend the iPad Tygem app if you want to be able to play online when you aren't around a computer.

This post by norman was liked by: Mivo

Post #31 Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:20 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 213
Was liked: 96
GD Posts: 325
I am amazed about how there is virtually no lag when playing. Together with the voiced byo-yomi countdown it is a really nice experience to play.

On KGS, there is lots of lagging. In byo-yomi, you constantly wonder: will he accept my move in time or might I lose on time ...

Post #32 Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:27 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 9
entropi wrote:
Yesterday I managed to find a couple of hours to play some games on tygem for the first time. I registered as 4k but I found 3-4k players a lot weaker than those on KGS. They are certainly much more aggressive but leave a lot of weaknesses behind. The challenge is exploiting them for hunting the hunter. Similar style to that of wbaduk but very much different from KGS.

Interesting. I'm 4k on KGS and seem to waver between 10k and 7k on Tygem.

My winning/losing streak also seems to depend on whether I use the Automatch function, or I answer someone else's request.

When I use the automatch function, the players often turn up to be much stronger in my experience.
It feels like the sandbaggers are waiting in ambush for someone to offer them a game and then... KABOUM!

... or maybe I'm simply imagining the whole thing :-?

Post #33 Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:11 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 71
GD Posts: 175
Sumatakyo wrote:
entropi wrote:

Interesting. I'm 4k on KGS and seem to waver between 10k and 7k on Tygem.

My winning/losing streak also seems to depend on whether I use the Automatch function, or I answer someone else's request.

When I use the automatch function, the players often turn up to be much stronger in my experience.
It feels like the sandbaggers are waiting in ambush for someone to offer them a game and then... KABOUM!

... or maybe I'm simply imagining the whole thing :-?

I don't know, I see that I sent that post almost a year ago and I play very very rarely recently. Maybe I got a wrong impression based on few games.