Post #21 Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:32 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
RobertJasiek wrote:
HermanHiddema wrote:
Swiss is better pretty much by definition. [...] The KO system, on the other hand, guarantees that place 4 (1 win, 2 losses) ends above place 5 (2 wins, 1 loss).

You mention an aspect for which Swiss is better than KO. You do not mention another aspect for which Swiss is usually worse than KO: final placement tiebreakers. If, however, you can agree on sharing Swiss final places instead of using tiebreakers and if Swiss contains an implicit KO for place 1, then we can agree on such a usage of Swiss being better than KO for a determination of places 2 to 8 as meaningful as possible within the given number of (here: 3) rounds.

I never have a problem with sharing places. If, however, we do wish to distinguish places, then even Swiss + lottery is better than the sorting provided by a continued KO.

Continued KO is just a really really really bad system. Consider the case of more than 3 rounds, e.g. suppose 5 rounds continued KO with 32 players. Then the player in place 16 has 1 win 4 losses and ends above a player with 4 wins, 1 loss. Having one game weight heavier than all other games combined is terrible. Continued KO is an absolutely indefensible system.

Quote:
Quote:
By removing strong players from the main tournament, you work against purpose 2 [determination of European Open Champion], because you make it easier for Asian players to be Open Champion by removing the toughest opposition.

I prefer to make a weaker claim: there is a partial conflict in aims.

I am making the claim than "player's personal preference in opponents" is a bad pairing criterium. Do you agree or disagree?

Post subject: Re: European Championship Rules
Post #22 Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:59 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
speedchase wrote:
if there isn't a power of two

For the tournament in question, 8 as a power of 2 is guaranteed.

Post #23 Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:02 am 
Judan

HermanHiddema wrote:
I am making the claim than "player's personal preference in opponents" is a bad pairing criterium. Do you agree or disagree?

I agree for the SPECIFIC choice of which opponent. I disagree for the GENERIC preference to play against a certain expected number of European opponents in top field of the EGC.

Post #24 Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:41 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 71
Was liked: 27
What kind of tournament system is "KO" even referring to? A single-elimination knockout bracket or perhaps a winner stays until defeated kind of arrangement?

FWIW, elimination tournaments should probably be done as seeded double elimination with a reasonable series length (this should guarantee a pretty accurate Top 2/3 or so, rest whatever. Also guarantees two games even to the worst players)

Swiss takes pretty long, but ranks people better. In Magic, the preferred tournament format is random seeded Swiss (byes to up to 3rd round for known professionals) with best of three rounds that is played for N rounds where N depends on turnout. After N rounds the best 8 or 4 (depending again on size) players are cut to a single-elimination knockout tournament that determines the winner (Final or even whole top 8 can be played out with a longer series length than Bo3). It's reasonably accurate yet provides that finals excitement.
This system is decent in Magic but should work even better in Go because:
1. It provides weak people with more games to play.
2. In Magic, the Round 4 field is drastically different than the Round 1 field, which gives pros an advantage in that they can prepare for a narrowe field than the normal people need to. This is not an issue that exists in Go.
3. The cut to Top8 can cause matchup issues based on the chosen decks. Again, not an issue in Go.

Post #25 Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:02 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
straight knock-out

Post #26 Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:42 am 
Gosei

Zombie wrote:
What kind of tournament system is "KO" even referring to? A single-elimination knockout bracket or perhaps a winner stays until defeated kind of arrangement?

FWIW, elimination tournaments should probably be done as seeded double elimination with a reasonable series length (this should guarantee a pretty accurate Top 2/3 or so, rest whatever. Also guarantees two games even to the worst players)

Swiss takes pretty long, but ranks people better. In Magic, the preferred tournament format is random seeded Swiss (byes to up to 3rd round for known professionals) with best of three rounds that is played for N rounds where N depends on turnout. After N rounds the best 8 or 4 (depending again on size) players are cut to a single-elimination knockout tournament that determines the winner (Final or even whole top 8 can be played out with a longer series length than Bo3). It's reasonably accurate yet provides that finals excitement.
This system is decent in Magic but should work even better in Go because:
1. It provides weak people with more games to play.
2. In Magic, the Round 4 field is drastically different than the Round 1 field, which gives pros an advantage in that they can prepare for a narrowe field than the normal people need to. This is not an issue that exists in Go.
3. The cut to Top8 can cause matchup issues based on the chosen decks. Again, not an issue in Go.

The system under discussion here is the one used to determine the European Championship.

The original design was 7 rounds of McMahon (a variant of Swiss), then the top 8 European players at that point enter a 3 round single elimination knockout (with, before it, some optional relegation games in case of ties around place 8). Any player knocked out returns to the McMahon.

Now, they have changed it into some kind of freaky continued knockout, where players that are "knocked out" are not actually knocked out, but play against others that were knocked out, and the top 8 is decided entirely on the order of your wins (not the number of your wins). So if you go: win-lose-lose, you are fourth. If you go lose-win-win, you are fifth.

This system goes against everything we know about sensible tournament organization. And the only reason for it is that those European players in the top 8 do not like to play against Asian players. It is an absolute disgrace.

This post by HermanHiddema was liked by: topazg

Post #27 Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:59 am 
Gosei

HermanHiddema wrote:
This system goes against everything we know about sensible tournament organization. And the only reason for it is that those European players in the top 8 do not like to play against Asian players. It is an absolute disgrace.

Sorry, but is there any evidence that the top European players have asked for this system?

Post #28 Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:59 am 
Gosei

Javaness2 wrote:
HermanHiddema wrote:

Sorry, but is there any evidence that the top European players have asked for this system?

In post #3 in this thread, Robert Jasiek wrote (emphasis mine):

RobertJasiek wrote:
Previously, the quarter-final losers re-entered the McMahon; this was considered good for top non-Europeans, who would get stronger opponents in rounds 8 to 10. The new ruling emphasises more top European-European games; this is an advantage for the top Europeans, who like to get more chances to play against other top Europeans in the sparse tournament calendars these years.

And in post #13, he writes (emphasis mine again):

RobertJasiek wrote:
2) the reason that top Europeans want to play more among themselves carries some weight (not for the quality of the ordering of places 2 to 8 but for the attractivity for the Europeans).

From that, I gather that strong player wishes played a major role in this decision. Certainly, there is no good tournament system based reason for it.

Post #29 Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:15 pm 
Gosei

I appreciate that Robert has relayed these words here, but are they accurate? Or is this just a whim of the EGF, or 1 or 2 people who decided to lobby it.

Post #30 Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:37 pm 
Gosei

Javaness2 wrote:
I appreciate that Robert has relayed these words here, but are they accurate? Or is this just a whim of the EGF, or 1 or 2 people who decided to lobby it.

I don't know. I go by what information I have, which is what was relayed here by Robert.

Post #31 Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:28 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 41
RobertJasiek wrote:
Javaness2 wrote:
Surely minor should be defined?

It is given implicitly:

1) motions at the AGM

2) election of a new committee

If motions don't change and the same committee is re-elected, then the rules change was "minor" in the AGM delegates' judgement.

The committee members who where against the current system are no more members.

Post #32 Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:45 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 155
It is an absolute vanity affair to decide places #5 to #8 by the k.o. system, those places have absolutely no meaning afaik. If a player who lost the relegation game for the top 8 is able to beat one of the visiting powerhouses the top 8 should not shy away from the challenge.

I personally would be rather disappointed, if the top 8 players that I cheered for are among those who asked for this change.

Post #33 Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:56 pm 
Judan

HermanHiddema wrote:
the only reason for it is that those European players in the top 8 do not like to play against Asian players.

This is a possible reason some of the Europeans might consider an advantage. I do not know at all for which reasons the EGF Committee set the new rule. E.g., it might have had the reason of "better media coverage", as one can guess from earlier arguments heard of the Committee. It is also possible that those in the Committee in favour of the new rule have had different reasons.

Post #34 Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:42 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 204
How can four quarter-finals losers determine places 5-8 in just two rounds? Don't you need three? How do you distinguish between places 7 and 8?

Post #35 Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:48 pm 
Gosei

magic

Post #36 Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:42 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 41
KGS: Laman
palapiku wrote:
How can four quarter-finals losers determine places 5-8 in just two rounds? Don't you need three? How do you distinguish between places 7 and 8?

four losers (5-8) play among themselves, which leaves 2 losers-winners (5-6) and 2 losers-losers (7-8). these pairs play the last remaining round to determine the final place for everyone.

HermanHiddema wrote:

i 100% agree that this system is inferior to either playing 8 players swiss or kicking the eliminated players back to open.

on the other hand, i don't find players' general preference in pairing to be an irrelevant criterion for devicing a tournament system. if the strong Europeans didn't wish to play Asians at all and voted for the EC as a separated 10 player round-robin spanning two weeks, i don't think i would mind much. sure, i wouldn't celebrate their courage to face a stronger opposition, and i wouldn't get a chance to celebrate their occasional win against Asians, but otherwise it would seem a legitimate system to me.

only if the current system can get better placement for the Europeans in the Open, then it is wrong to take their preference into account. i think this effect is possible, but not significant, so (hopefully) no issue here.

by the way, one could say that it is incorrect that Europeans don't want to play Asians, only that they want more to play among themselves. however, judging from other discussion, they are indeed not too eager to get regularly bashed.

there are way too many constraints put on the Congress tournaments: reliably choose the European Champion from strong Europeans (without influence of games outside of this group), reliably choose the Open Champion from strong Europeans and strong Asians, let strong Asians play strong Europeans (the more the better), fit this all to two week, or preferably less, with long time allowance and no more than 1 game a day. i don't see a way to satisfy all of these goals, even if i haven't forgotten some

I might be wrong, but probably not.