All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting back into the game
Post #1 Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:34 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Universal go server handle: Andoril
Hi everyone,

I didn't play seriously since the beginning of the year I guess.
It wasn't that I didn't have the time or something, I just didn't want to play.
And it's not like my interest in go vanished for this time. I watched videos on go and made some tsumego here and there.

A few days ago I just like that got really motivated again and started playing again.

When I stopped playing I was around 1 - 2 kyu level. In the next two days (or weeks) I want to test if I'm still on this level or below (or maybe even higher?).

Since I started playing two and a half years ago I wanted to reach 1d and stronger.

My plan for getting there now is the following:

1. See what level I play right now

2. Review my own games more (& more carefully - not just clicking through it after a game)

2.1 Look out for my weaknesses while reviewing

3. Try to follow the basic's (Thanks to dwyrin and clossius for this!)

4. Put work into the fields I find weaknesses of my own (Comments for this will come along the way)

5. Maybe finally work through my copy of 'Invincible']

I'll do this thread mainly for myself, but I'll appreciate comments, too, so feel free to tell me what you think.

Well. That's it for now. I think I'll upload a game or two I played (both "old" and "new" games).

Post subject: Re: Getting back into the game
Post #2 Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:45 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 319
Was liked: 287
Universal go server handle: jeromie
Best of luck on your go journey!

Post subject: Re: Getting back into the game
Post #3 Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:53 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Universal go server handle: Andoril
So here is a game I played today. We didn't finish the game, because my opponent left, but I learned one thing about myself: My reading got a lot worse, but by trying to stick to the basics seems to balance this quite nicely.

Some of my own comments:

19 to 30: I'm not sure if I should have defended my upper right group, but I wanted to stick to the basics and play the last open corner first. And actually I'm really fine with how it played out. A lot of potential in the upper right and sente.

43 to 52: Yeah. So F9 and C8 were a misread. 51 was a missclick but it became a quite good stone later on in the game. 52 irritated me a bit, because I had lost the chance to attack white's right hand side group.

53: While playing I wasn't sure if white's cut at D9 works (it does not) but I didn't really know what to do at this point of the game, so I tried to settle my right hand side.

54 to 83: When white played 54 I thought to myself "Finally something to attack" while securing my top right. I didn't expect white to play 60 but thought either I can kill this or surround this. I tried to imagine a wall that is connected to the corner and the center potential I would get with this wall and I liked it. So I forced white to live (and did so in sente!) and tried to build the center.

Well. That's pretty much it. Here is the game (comments are appreciated):