It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello from San Francisco!
Post #1 Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:33 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
KGS: Ispheria
Hey guys, whatsup? I am Eric, and I am an art student.

Learned to play Go when I was like, in middle school, but didn't do much with it then, cause I honestly had no idea what I was doing. But then I started reading Hikaru No Go and got back into it in High School, and got myself a Go board. Taught my friends how to play, and rewarded them if they beat me. Problem was that they really couldn't beat me, so I kind of got a big head. Then I played one of the seniors and got put into my place.

Decided to play online at that point, on the KGS servers under the name Ispheria (which is my name on like, everything. League of Legends, Blacklight Retribution, etc. That, or a variant of the name, like, my deviantart is ProjectIspheria. Doesn't mean anything, just a word I came up with and liked.) Didn't play online for a while because I lost my internet, and the only person I could play was me because the seniors graduated (and whenever I played with myself there'd end up being situations where there would be eyes inside of eyes and stuff) so when I did get my internet back I was pretty trash at the game, went from like 14k to 30k. That was a bummer -.-

Now I'm in art school studying Game Art and Design, so don't really have much time to play now either. But it doesn't look like I'll have too much work next term, so I'm hoping to get back into the game and playing online again.

Guess that's the end of my introduction. Hope I don't cause anyone any trouble here and that I can learn a lot from you guys.

This post by Ispheria was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject:
Post #2 Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:05 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi Eric, welcome. There are some nice Go clubs and venues in the Bay Area! Good luck! :)

Post subject: Re: Hello from San Francisco!
Post #3 Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:24 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 60
KGS: gotony
OGS: nghtstalker
Welcome!

A great city to live in for an artist. I find the simplicity of the materials and rules make GO a beautiful game.

Have fun!

We play because we enjoy the beauty of the game, the snap and feel of real stones, and meeting interesting people. Hope to see ya there! お願いします!

Anthony

Post subject: Re:
Post #4 Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:45 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
KGS: Ispheria
EdLee wrote:
Hi Eric, welcome. There are some nice Go clubs and venues in the Bay Area! Good luck! :)

Really? That doesn't seem to be what I've heard. I remember reading a few people saying that The SF Go club isn't really the most welcoming place and there aren't a lot of people.

goTony wrote:
Welcome!

A great city to live in for an artist. I find the simplicity of the materials and rules make GO a beautiful game.

Have fun!

Thanks bro, I feel the same. I also feel that Go is one of the best strategy games because it's more about creating (in my opinion) where as chess and other games is more about memorizing situations and stuff and just replaying old overplayed games once you get near the end.

Post subject: Re: Hello from San Francisco!
Post #5 Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:01 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 14
Welcome to the forum!