It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Since I never introduced myself before...
Post #1 Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:18 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 124
Was liked: 46
What's up everyone? Almost done with my freshman year in college, and have been playing go seriously for about 20 months. I hope to play some at the New York Go Center over the summer, and my goal is to make shodan by winter break! I'm an english major interested in creative writing, so I'm obviously the odd man out on that account, although I have done my share of programming and physics even though I'm not pursuing it any further.
Other hobbies of mine are tennis, drums, starcraft and of course some good old DDR(me and a freind are each bringing a cobalt flux to our dorm next year, so fun times should ensue)

Post subject: Re: Since I never introduced myself before...
Post #2 Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:53 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 1562
Was liked: 140
GD Posts: 892
I've always been interested in creative writing, so now I've been attending a 20 hour workshop. The results have been interesting. :)

Thanks for the intro, and welcome!

Post #3 Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:44 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
Cool, good to see another college student on this forum :). Looks like we share similar interests - I used to play tennis a while ago, still an avid SC player (well, now mostly SC2), and I also have cobalt fluxes - I've had them for over 4 years and they still work great though I haven't played much on them these days, so they're quality pads. Here's an ancient video of me using them to play Stepmania, oh how I miss the days of high school :lol::

Post #4 Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:00 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 505
KGS: magicwand
Tygem: magicwand
Wbaduk: rlatkfkd
DGS: magicwand
OGS: magicwand
Araban wrote:
Cool, good to see another college student on this forum :). Looks like we share similar interests - I used to play tennis a while ago, still an avid SC player (well, now mostly SC2), and I also have cobalt fluxes - I've had them for over 4 years and they still work great though I haven't played much on them these days, so they're quality pads. Here's an ancient video of me using them to play Stepmania, oh how I miss the days of high school :lol::

that is simply amazing.. i guess it's close to 9d in go?

Words by neil peart, music by geddy lee and alex lifeson

Post #5 Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:18 pm 
Gosei

Magicwand wrote:
Araban wrote:

that is simply amazing.. i guess it's close to 9d in go?

Haha, thank you for the kind comment, but actually I would say it's more like 5k :lol:. If you want to see 9d level of this game, see the video below (warning: some expletives near the end of the video from a very exhausted player :D):

What's humorous about the chart for this song is that it was meant to be played on a keyboard, released in a pack for advanced keyboard players over 5 years ago. If you had asked me back then whether it was within the human body's limit to even pass this song on your feet, I would have laughed and said it was obvious that no one could do it on their feet. This person not only passes it, but gets a very high score.

Post #6 Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:31 pm 
Lives in gote

Ah stepmania. I hadn't played in a while, but I just started getting back into it recently. Nice job with that song Sol, and looks like a pretty sweet set up with the projector. I have to play on my 13" laptop, so not exactly ideal. However, I have managed to scrape through a few 12s recently so it's all good (not sure if you've ever played ITG though)

Post #7 Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:50 pm 
Gosei

Jedo wrote:
Ah stepmania. I hadn't played in a while, but I just started getting back into it recently. Nice job with that song Sol, and looks like a pretty sweet set up with the projector. I have to play on my 13" laptop, so not exactly ideal. However, I have managed to scrape through a few 12s recently so it's all good (not sure if you've ever played ITG though)

Thanks, I don't have the same setup anymore though after my parents wanted a karaoke machine there :(. And yeah, I was a big fan of the bemani games a few years ago, ITG1/2 included. At my peak (~'07) I could do most of the 12s but none of the 13s, think the only 12 I couldn't do was Bloodrush - terrible at crossovers, despite playing Afronova and exotic ethnic on a DDR machine over 9000 times to try and fix that. It was also just a straight up difficult chart, I still think it should have been a 13.

Post #8 Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:56 am 
Lives in gote

Yeah Bloodrush was always tough, I could never get past the slowdown part. Maybe if I stopped being an anti-bar snob I would have a chance :cool:

About making it a 13, it does seem on the same level as Determinator (which I can pass with a crappy score yay) or stuff like that, so maybe it deserves to be a hard 12?

Post #9 Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:49 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 2
GD Posts: 21
KGS: Rafa
Welcome Jedo.

Im was also an avid SC player for a while, now im resting a bit till SC2 arrives, i still play stepmania from time to time though