It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi everyone
Post #1 Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:32 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Hi,

My name is Galen and I've just joined your forum. I love Go and I play Go everyday (well at least I try to!). I hope I can get to know everyone on this forum and that I will be accepted. I don't know my skill level but if I can send you a list of my moves in a game against an opponent my level then I think we can figure it out. I plan to be an active member on this forum and will try to get on and post often. I play internet Go, but I've never actually held an actual stone, (which is something I've always wanted to do!). I'm so obsessed with Go I actually dream about it, and I end up practicing in my sleep! Anyways I'm really looking forward to my time on this forum!

Galen

Post subject: Re: Hi everyone
Post #2 Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:35 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 70
Was liked: 8
KGS: Sujisan 12 kyu
OGS: Sujisan 13 kyu
Welcome to the forums. :D

Post #3 Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:36 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
Howdy, and welcome! Where online do you normally play go? Most places will give you a ballpark rank estimate. Glad to have you around, you're certainly not alone in the go obsession. =D

Post #4 Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:26 pm 
Beginner

Chew Terr wrote:
Where online do you normally play go? Most places will give you a ballpark rank estimate.

I usually play on Yahoo Games and that is amazing that the computers nowadays can do that! So it'll establish an actual kyu-dan rank for me? Thanks for telling me, but I don't think Yahoo has that as a feature. Do you know any sites that do?

Post #5 Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:30 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 62
galen wrote:
Chew Terr wrote:
Where online do you normally play go? Most places will give you a ballpark rank estimate.

I usually play on Yahoo Games and that is amazing that the computers nowadays can do that! So it'll establish an actual kyu-dan rank for me? Thanks for telling me, but I don't think Yahoo has that as a feature. Do you know any sites that do?

Welcome welcome!

And I think we all just shuddered at Yahoo! games... :)

I would highly recommend http://www.gokgs.com

It's an awesome game server dedicated to Go and has a lot of people playing on it all the time. They are (usually) very friendly, and it is a great community. It's also where most of the people on this forum play.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:32 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
I use KGS for real-time games and OGS for turn-based games. The creators of both are on this forum, which is a nifty bit of 'man, it's a small world' trivia. Different servers (or countries) may rate you a bit different, but they're generally fairly close. Certainly close enough to get your first tentative rating. If you join KGS, there is a 'godiscussions' room that this forum uses.
edit: I'm too slow

Post #7 Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:34 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 62
Chew Terr wrote:
I use KGS for real-time games and OGS for turn-based games. The creators of both are on this forum, which is a nifty bit of 'man, it's a small world' trivia. Different servers (or countries) may rate you a bit different, but they're generally fairly close. Certainly close enough to get your first tentative rating. If you join KGS, there is a 'godiscussions' room that this forum uses.
edit: I'm too slow

Had to type fast, thought you might be on it already. ;)

Here's the link for OGS: http://www.online-go.com/
Another great option if you're looking for some thing you can extend over multiple days.

Post #8 Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:52 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
Welcome to the forums.

For how long have you been playing go? You mentioned that you dream about go. I had this when I was around 15 kyu. The dreams came about three to four months after I had started playing go, and have disappeared a few weeks later. Since then I've never dreamt again about go...

Post #9 Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:11 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 24
karaklis wrote:
Welcome to the forums.

For how long have you been playing go? You mentioned that you dream about go. I had this when I was around 15 kyu. The dreams came about three to four months after I had started playing go, and have disappeared a few weeks later. Since then I've never dreamt again about go...

From time to time I still have nightmares of dying groups, wrong played josekis and go stones talking to me ;-)

Post #10 Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:59 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 4
karaklis wrote:
The dreams came about three to four months after I had started playing go, and have disappeared a few weeks later. Since then I've never dreamt again about go...

I often dream about Go, I think that's only normal if you're really into it, after all most of your dreams are about what you recently experienced. I don't have too absurd dreams, though. Usually a (weird) game position playing onward by itself before my eyes.
I don't think this has anything to do with your rank.
A few years ago at a saturday morning before a tournament Hwang In-Seong 7d gave us a tsumego to think about. He claimed that he woke up in the early morning and the first thing he had on his mind was this (new) tsumego position.

Post #11 Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:19 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 171
GD Posts: 1104
KGS: fwiffo
If I have a dream about go, it's always completely abstract. It's not about players or a tournament or anything. I can't even recall having a dream about any of my go friends in a non-go context. Which is surprising, because my main meat-space rival is Canadian, and I have lots of dreams about Canadians and Canada.

Any dreams about go are just visualizations of positions. Usually they're nonsense positions that don't even make sense topologically.

Post #12 Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:35 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 14
Was liked: 3
GD Posts: 446
Welcome to the forums. :cool: As you've already seen its not gonna be a problem fo your to be accepted in this forum.

I cant remember if I had dreams about Go...but I still have Go daydreams in classes amd at work. (Thinking up tsumego, reviewing tesuji, reading ladders.) :oops:

Post #13 Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:29 pm 
Beginner

hi welcome :)

Post #14 Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:41 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 150
Universal go server handle: judicata
Welcome.

And to be balanced, another very popular real-time go server is IGS. I play on KGS almost exclusively, but I admit I prefer the aesthetics of some of the IGS clients. Also, an alternative "turn-based" server is DGS (Dragon Go Server). (As an aside, I never really got the "turn based" thing, as all go is turn-based, but it means there is usually only a few moves a day.)