It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Amusing piece on Short
Post #1 Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:45 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
A former supporter of 'hot or not'-chess see http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/27/fashi ... ef=slogin& has this time gotten into hot water over some comments he made related to equality (can women play chess as well as men).

See http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/a ... yers-women

Nigel seems to have been commenting on this old article http://en.chessbase.com/post/explaining ... e-in-chess

Post subject: Re: Amusing piece on Short
Post #2 Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:35 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Talking of the lack of women excelling in science/maths, I'd actually say women have done better in that than in chess. Marie Curie, Emmy Noether, Ada Lovelace, Roasalind Franklin come to mind. And they faced rather higher social obstacles than women do now in chess, where Judit Polgar is the only example of a top women (and I'd say even her position in chess is way lower than Noether's in science).

Post #3 Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:45 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 704
Was liked: 288
KGS: greendemon
Tygem: greendemon
DGS: smaragdaemon
OGS: emeraldemon
Uberdude wrote:
Talking of the lack of women excelling in science/maths, I'd actually say women have done better in that than in chess. Marie Curie, Emmy Noether, Ada Lovelace, Roasalind Franklin come to mind. And they faced rather higher social obstacles than women do now in chess, where Judit Polgar is the only example of a top women (and I'd say even her position in chess is way lower than Noether's in science).

Off topic, but I've always thought Emmy Noether would be an amazing choice for a biopic. Got a phd at a time when women had to get explicit permission from each professor to even attend lectures, her work was recognized by some of the biggest mathematicians of the day, taught without pay for years, and then when she finally got a professorship she got fired by the Nazis for being Jewish and had to escape to the US... maybe I am too much of a math nerd but I would see that movie.

Post #4 Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:29 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 683
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: Splatted
This is actually very interesting and it seems a shame it can't be discussed without a knee-jerk backlash. I didn't know men and women had such different brain structures, or that men tend to diverge more from the norm, but I feel a strong urge to know more. I'm off to Google some neuroscience I won't understand. :salute:

Post #5 Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:36 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
emeraldemon wrote:

Off topic, but I've always thought Emmy Noether would be an amazing choice for a biopic. Got a phd at a time when women had to get explicit permission from each professor to even attend lectures, her work was recognized by some of the biggest mathematicians of the day, taught without pay for years, and then when she finally got a professorship she got fired by the Nazis for being Jewish and had to escape to the US... maybe I am too much of a math nerd but I would see that movie.

Problem is that Hollywood would want to have the character played by a glamorous blonde actress who probably wouldn't even be able to "add a C". (http://www.math.utah.edu/~cherk/mathjokes.html and search for "add a constant")

Post #6 Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:41 pm 
Oza

Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Splatted wrote:
This is actually very interesting and it seems a shame it can't be discussed without a knee-jerk backlash. I didn't know men and women had such different brain structures, or that men tend to diverge more from the norm, but I feel a strong urge to know more. I'm off to Google some neuroscience I won't understand. :salute:

I think it is common sense that evolution must have taken this course. My wife and I, for example, think very differently on many things. (Fortunately we think alike on even more things.) That does not mean one is better than the other, just that we each have different strengths and weaknesses.

I can understand that men may have evolved with a different spatial perspective than women, but that does not make them more intelligent. It merely means that they can apply the strengths they have to different things. How this all applies to chess and go I am not sure. I personally think that it is probably more of a cultural bias which results in fewer top female players.

Post #7 Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:48 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
I think part of the problem of discussing this is we're splitting hairs about differences in the top players but people interpret it as referring to the player base as a whole. Even the question "can women play chess as well as men?" is problematic as it can be interpreted more broadly than just referring to the very top level of play.

Post #8 Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:26 pm 
Lives in sente

DrStraw wrote:
Splatted wrote:

I think it is common sense that evolution must have taken this course. My wife and I, for example, think very differently on many things. (Fortunately we think alike on even more things.) That does not mean one is better than the other, just that we each have different strengths and weaknesses.

I can understand that men may have evolved with a different spatial perspective than women, but that does not make them more intelligent. It merely means that they can apply the strengths they have to different things. How this all applies to chess and go I am not sure. I personally think that it is probably more of a cultural bias which results in fewer top female players.

It's common sense that there would be some differences but I didn't realise there were such pronounced differences, nor did I think I could find specific information as to which parts were different, and in what ways, that could then be combined with research in to what each of those parts does to create baseless misguided theories of my own.

Boidhre wrote:
I think part of the problem of discussing this is we're splitting hairs about differences in the top players but people interpret it as referring to the player base as a whole. Even the question "can women play chess as well as men?" is problematic as it can be interpreted more broadly than just referring to the very top level of play.

I didn't interpret this as being just about the top players but rather a trend that runs throughout the entire chess community and manifests itself most clearly at the very top where there is a distinct lack of women. Of course the greater trends are irrelevant from a personal perspective as each individual could fall anywhere on the scale.

Post #9 Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:33 am 
Oza

Splatted wrote:
I didn't interpret this as being just about the top players but rather a trend that runs throughout the entire chess community and manifests itself most clearly at the very top where there is a distinct lack of women. Of course the greater trends are irrelevant from a personal perspective as each individual could fall anywhere on the scale.

The data in the article linked was on female players with over 350 FIDE rated games played. The effect may or may not exist in more casual players. I suspect it does, but I'm not sure offhand.

Post #10 Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:09 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4633

Which player was female and which male, and what were their pro grades? Don't peek yet!

White was Ninomiya Hideko 1d and she was the first woman to take White and beat a 9-dan (Chino Tadahiko).

Ninomiya later became the wife a pro (Komatsu Hideo) and the mother of a pro (Komatsu Daiki) - two "career breaks."

Despite never remotely competing for top titles, Mrs Komatsu, now 4d, and several hundred other female pros are much stronger than something like 99.99999% of male go players.

There are of course female pros who have won titles against men in go: Kita Fumiko and Rui Naiwei. So women can "compete" as well, and in that sense better than maybe over 95% of male pros.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 2 people: gowan, tapir

Post #11 Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:02 am 
Lives in sente

Boidhre wrote:
Splatted wrote:

The data in the article linked was on female players with over 350 FIDE rated games played. The effect may or may not exist in more casual players. I suspect it does, but I'm not sure offhand.

Fair point. I misread one of the other graphs and my online player brain didn't automatically twig to the significance of 350 rated games.

Post #12 Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:17 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Splatted wrote:
[..] I didn't know men and women had such different brain structures [..]

Me neither. And it seems they haven’t.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science ... ntist.html

Quote:
Men and women do not have different brains, claims neuroscientist
Neuroscientist Prof Gina Rippon claims male and female brains only differ because of the relentless ‘drip, drip, drip’ of gender stereotyping

Post #13 Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:08 am 
Oza

Bonobo wrote:
Splatted wrote:

Quote:
Neuroscientist Prof Gina Rippon claims male and female brains only differ because of the relentless ‘drip, drip, drip’ of gender stereotyping

Another quote from that article states:

Quote:
She believes differences in male and female brains are due to similar cultural stimuli. A women’s brain may therefore become ‘wired’ for multi-tasking simply because society expects that of her and so she uses that part of her brain more often. The brain adapts in the same way as a muscle gets larger with extra use.

Couldn't this explain why chess is dominated by males? Basically, men are better at chess because they are expected to be.

Post #14 Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:25 am 
Oza

Bonobo wrote:
Splatted wrote:

Quote:

"It seems they haven't" & "Neuroscientist claims" are not a good mix. This is far from a settled question.

Post #15 Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:22 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 181
DrStraw wrote:
Problem is that Hollywood would want to have the character played by a glamorous blonde actress who probably wouldn't even be able to "add a C". .......

Except one of te Hollywood actresses of that time period was (secretly*) involved in serious science. Hedy Lammarr's "spread spectrum and frequency hopping" not only used in WW II but we still use it in our wifi's and bluetooth, etc.

Where I worked, every few years they used to bring in the late Grace Murray Hopper (admiral) for a talk. She was of course one of the female brains of that time period, cracking "Purple". Highlight of those talks being things like hearing about the first "bug" (where that term came from) or being handed a "nanosecond" (a bit or wire the length electrons would travel in that time).

* secretly, because of course considered unacceptable that a glamor "bombshell" might have a brain.

Post #16 Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:49 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 704
Was liked: 288
KGS: greendemon
Tygem: greendemon
DGS: smaragdaemon
OGS: emeraldemon
John, what title(s) did Kita Fumiko win? There isn't much on her SL page.

Post #17 Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:49 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4633
Quote:
John, what title(s) did Kita Fumiko win? There isn't much on her SL page.

There were virtually no tournaments of the KO or league type then, and the main type was the win & continue. The main variety of that was gonin-nuki where the aim was to win five games in a row, whereupon you got a prize and the tournament stopped, otherwise it just went on and on. These were newspaper-sponsored events and the one Kita won was sponsored by the Kokumin Shinbun. It brought her fame, but she continued to excel and had a big plus score against men in the Hoensha.

However, she left go for ten years to bring up a family, though seemed to lose no strength and when she came back she rose to 4d, the highest ever grade for a woman at that time. She later got to 6d, which would probably qualify as a 9d today.

Her 4d was marked by a huge ceremony which included a gift of silver sake cups from Prince Fushimi with his crest in gold. Men were not favoured like this. Pure sexism!

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: emeraldemon

Post #18 Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:37 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
John Fairbairn wrote:
There are of course female pros who have won titles against men in go: Kita Fumiko and Rui Naiwei. So women can "compete" as well, and in that sense better than maybe over 95% of male pros.

I was curious about this before.

ez4u recommended this rating site which I like.

World Ranking
http://sports.geocities.jp/mamumamu0413/total.html
Top female player is Rui Naiwei in 193rd place.

Japanese ranking
http://sports.geocities.jp/mamumamu0413 ... rate1.html
Top female player is Xie Yimin in 119th place.

This would seem to argue with the 95% of pros, but maybe there's some skewing happening here.

Post #19 Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:13 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
One intellectual game in which women are almost without question better than men in general is contract bridge. Still, the top bridge players are mostly men.

And one woman who has not been mentioned with regard to technical brilliance, but should be, is Hedy Lamarr, the movie star. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedy_Lamarr :D

Edit: Oops! I see that Mike did mention her. Well, she is worth mentioning again, I reckon. ;) And a major reason for the secrecy was that her invention was a war secret.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Last edited by Bill Spight on Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #20 Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:36 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Wrt brain structure.

Humans are born with relatively unstructured brains. During the first several years of our lives we literally sculpt our brains by the death of a large number of neurons. This process starts in the womb.

Also, all humans share the same basic body plan. Gender differences are partly genetic, partly environmental. But again, the environmental differences start in the womb, depending upon hormones released by the mother, which affect fetal development. Nothing about gender differences is simple.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.