It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What's your favorite board game other than Go?
Post #41 Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:26 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 24
OGS: Saint Ravitt
I've recently been playing a lot of Checkers and Backgammon; both games I've been very impressed with. Firstly because they're both a lot of fun but also because I had never realized how complex they both are and the reading skill required to play them. Obviously, they don't quite compare with the complexity of Go but I've had fun branching out.

This post by Joelnelsonb was liked by: Anzu

Post #42 Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:07 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Joelnelsonb wrote:
I've recently been playing a lot of Checkers and Backgammon; both games I've been very impressed with. Firstly because they're both a lot of fun but also because I had never realized how complex they both are and the reading skill required to play them. Obviously, they don't quite compare with the complexity of Go but I've had fun branching out.

Do you play backgammon online? Re: checkers, have you read about Marion Tinsley?

Post #43 Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:08 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 95
Was liked: 56
Joelnelsonb wrote:

Apparently, some people spend two or three hours on a single game of checkers. I was very surprised when I heard of that.

Post #44 Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:27 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 42
Was liked: 19
KGS: virre
DGS: virre
OGS: virre
AVAVT wrote:
Before playing Go I used to play this game a lot Ô ăn quan. It's an old traditional game in my country, very easy to learn and popular among children because it focus on counting. I think it's spread out of Vietnam by now though, last time I went to Germany there was a copy sold in the board game section :D

I checked it out on Boardgame Geek https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/157507/o-quan, it is possible that the game you saw in Germany was another related game in the Mancala family
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/9/mancala

Post #45 Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:50 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 81
KGS: FanXiping
OGS: slashpine
AVAVT wrote:
Before playing Go I used to play this game a lot Ô ăn quan. It's an old traditional game in my country, very easy to learn and popular among children because it focus on counting. I think it's spread out of Vietnam by now though, last time I went to Germany there was a copy sold in the board game section :D
This game is a lot like congkak in Malaysia or toguz kumalak in the Central Asian republics. These games come from an African game known in West Africa as oware. This game was first played 3000 years ago in East Africa and during the 8th century A.D. Arab traders learned the game there, after which they took it with them to different parts of Asia. A version of this game is played on some islands of the Caribbean and is known as warri. It was brought to the Caribbean by enslaved West Africans working on the big plantations of the European colonies. In contrast to congkak boards, warri boards are nothing more than a piece of pine wood with 12 hemispherical holes, 6 holes in 2 rows. This is because the slaves had to be able to hide the boards from their masters and overseers, who had prohibited the enslaved Africans from practicing their mother culture.

A game similar to Ô ăn quan is sold in many countries, including the US and Canada, under the name "mancala".

Post #46 Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:42 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
GD Posts: 100
oo yes I like Mancala. Mancala and Labyrinth https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinth_(board_game) are popular child friendly games in our house.

Post #47 Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:02 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 24
OGS: Saint Ravitt
RBerenguel wrote:

Do you play backgammon online? Re: checkers, have you read about Marion Tinsley?

I have yet to play either online and have read nothing. It's kinda fun being at the very beginning of an elaborate game.

Post #48 Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:03 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Joelnelsonb wrote:
RBerenguel wrote:

I have yet to play either online and have read nothing. It's kinda fun being at the very beginning of an elaborate game.

Indeed! If you get any backgammon book, Paul Magriel's Backgammon is gold (and silver). As for Tinsley, well, he was the best checkers player ever.

Post #49 Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:58 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 37
Was liked: 20
KGS: 5k
IGS: 10K
OGS: 7k
Joelnelsonb wrote:
Abalone looks fun but the rules look a little confusing. Is it pretty simple to pick up?

I think that it the rules are easy. You must expell 6 ball of you oponent to win and the moves are simples. I have to confess that this movement is problematic because it does not use only one finger to move them all:

You can check it in wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abalone_%28board_game%29

Post #50 Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:16 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 17
Was liked: 5
KGS: aatos
Das Schwarze Auge (German pen&paper rpg)
rarely chess

Post #51 Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:51 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 47
Universal go server handle: djllap
For those of you who like European strategy games, try Terra Mystica. I have been playing it a lot recently and I think it is my favorite modern board game. It is has elements of Settlers of Catan, Puerto Rico, Agricola, and Small World, but is also a completely fresh gaming experience.

Post #52 Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:35 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Definitely othello/reversi as I had devoted many years into it, but I am into Go at the moment :)

Post #53 Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:43 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 1
KGS: 3d
Do card games count? I mean, in a way, they're card-board games. :ugeek:
Try "Grave Robbers from Outer Space". Hilarious.