An update: 3,997 Hours to go before 10,000

This post by EdLee was liked by: SpongeBob

Post subject: Re: 3,997 Hours to go
Post #2 Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:38 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 163
Was liked: 24
KGS: 4kyu
I guess I heard about this story in "The Sports Gene". It's too bad that he has back problems, but it is also true that in most of the things I personally have worked really hard to improve on, at some point the accumulated fatigue of simply trying to put in the practice time becomes a real obstacle in itself. I was an avid golfer for a while and had a variety of overuse injuries because I wanted to work hard to get better.

This is also very true for me in Go--mental fatigue sort of sneaks up on me until my level drops really badly, and because I want to do a lot of Go to get better and I got a late start, I end up with a dilemma about whether to take a break for a while and (it feels at the time) progress even more slowly or keep grinding away even though I think it's probably not helping.

Being able to complete 10,000 hours of training focused on improvement in anything in less than a decade is really an accomplishment in itself imo whether you achieve mastery (whatever that means) or not.

An aside about how good pro golfers are, though obviously the same thing is true in Go: This guy is now at a 2.x handicap after 6,003 hours of deliberate practice. To a reasonable degree of approximation his chances of being good enough to play in a professional golf event have not changed since he started playing.

Post #3 Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:46 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 180
The whole 10,000 hours thing is confusion between "necessary" and "sufficient" conditions.

It may well be necessary to put in 10,000 hours to achieve mastery.

That does NOT mean that 10,000 hours are sufficient to achieve mastery.

It may also be necessary to have the innate talent.

In other words, talent plus practice => mastery. Just talent or just practice not enough.

Post #4 Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:08 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
It's still 10,000 hours of deliberate practice. And when I remember correctly innate talent was pretty much dismissed in the studies from Ericsson et al (http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/blo ... iew%29.pdf).

Post #5 Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:45 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 163
Was liked: 24
KGS: 4kyu
For example: http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... genes.html

Post #6 Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:04 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Mike Novack wrote:
The whole 10,000 hours thing is confusion between "necessary" and "sufficient" conditions.

It may well be necessary to put in 10,000 hours to achieve mastery.

That does NOT mean that 10,000 hours are sufficient to achieve mastery.

It may also be necessary to have the innate talent.

In other words, talent plus practice => mastery. Just talent or just practice not enough.

I agree that this 10,000 hours concept really must come with some caveats. Talent is not the only factor. There are many other qualities such as age, physique or mental toughness that might prove to be limitations. A short, stout, fifty year old won't become a great swimmer no matter how long he paddles about.

Post #7 Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:11 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
Ortho wrote:

Uh, a headline all dressed up but nowhere to go.

There is no source claiming you can't reach an expert status through deliberate practice. There is also no source claiming, that you can't reach an expert status because of your genes. There are a lot of studies that show that deliberate practice for around 10,000 hours is not all there is to reach an expert status and that within the expert group there can be quite the difference between experts.

The important bottom line regarding the expert status is - as far as I understand it: 10,000 hours of deliberate practice are no guarantee to reach expert status. On the other hand it's also not the minimum amount required, you can be faster, too. It's a rule of thumb, not a law. There is nothing preventing you to become an expert in any given field (except maybe sports where a specific body type is required), though you might not be the best expert there is.

Post #8 Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:56 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
I've not thought about or studied the field much, but do believe there is such a thing as innate talent which plays a significant role in your proficiency in various fields. The Polgar sisters are an interesting case though. Was it just by chance that girls with a huge talent for chess happened to be born to an educationalist who wanted to test the "geniuses are made not born" idea? For sure coming from an intelligent family means you'll get some decent genes and a supportive upbringing, but is just some general smarts plus their training enough to make Judit Polgar's chess strength. I wonder what would have happened if Laszlo Polgar had an adopted child too. Or a boy (when compared to men Susan and Sofia aren't so exceptional, but then Susan has apparently said Judit didn't have the most talent of the 3 but worked very hard).

Post #9 Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:31 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
Musicians know that good practice technique is necessary to get to a high level of skill. If you can't play a particular passage just repeating it over and over won't help, you have to think about it and figure out what it is about your playing that makes that passage difficult. In other words, mindful practice is necessary.

In go just memorizing the joseki dictionary or playing 10000 (mindless) blitz games won't get you to dan level.

Post #10 Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:01 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Uberdude wrote:
I've not thought about or studied the field much, but do believe there is such a thing as innate talent which plays a significant role in your proficiency in various fields. The Polgar sisters are an interesting case though. Was it just by chance that girls with a huge talent for chess happened to be born to an educationalist who wanted to test the "geniuses are made not born" idea? For sure coming from an intelligent family means you'll get some decent genes and a supportive upbringing, but is just some general smarts plus their training enough to make Judit Polgar's chess strength. I wonder what would have happened if Laszlo Polgar had an adopted child too. Or a boy (when compared to men Susan and Sofia aren't so exceptional, but then Susan has apparently said Judit didn't have the most talent of the 3 but worked very hard).

From what I've read and what I "feel" talentjust serves as a bootstrap: you enjoy it a little more, so practice more, so in the end are ahead in time devoted to it.

Post #11 Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:42 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Mozart gave a new student an assignment to write a short chorale. The student complained that Mozart had written a whole symphony at age 6. To which Mozart replied, "Yes, but nobody had to tell me how to do it."

:D

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #12 Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:46 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 252
Was liked: 251
GD Posts: 846
I think Dan is doing just fine with his 6,000 hours to be in the top 5% of golfers who have a handicap in a country where golf is very popular. Consider being in the top 5% of rated baduk players in Korea. Anyone able to do that---especially starting later in life than the elites did---that's not too shabby.