All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Introductory Chess Books
Post #1 Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:41 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 4
KGS: Thoas
Hi everyone,

it's kind of embarrassing that I as a European actively play Go, but when it comes to chess I know not more than the rules :)
Are there any introductory (English/German) Chess books similar to "A complete introduction" or "The second book of Go" you could recommend?
Not that I intend to actively play chess now, but I'd like to learn some basics at least...

Post subject: Re: Introductory Chess Books
Post #2 Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:44 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
I am curious as to why you say it is embarrassing. I cannot answer your question as I know the rules of chess and nothing else about it. Actually that is not even true, as all I know are how the pieces move, I am sure there must be some other rules.

Post #3 Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:53 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
"Schach - Zug um Zug" is a very good beginner book. At least until the Königsdiplom.

This post by SoDesuNe was liked by: Tomoe

Post #4 Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:16 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 4
KGS: Thoas
Well you're right, it's not really embarrassing. I'm just interested in learning it, as chess is historically closer to our culture. Consequently, in Germany and other western countries you often meet people who play it.
There actually was a time when I played chess regularly with a friend. We both didn't have any strategic nor tactical knowledge though and eventually stopped playing. I just wonder if I had fun playing chess, once I knew some basic strategic concepts. It surely never will be as great fun as Go is, once the latter just immediately mesmerized me.

Quote:
I am sure there must be some other rules.

The only other rule I know is "castling" (had to look it up, in German it's "Rochade").

Quote:
"Schach - Zug um Zug" is a very good beginner book. At least until the Königsdiplom.

Danke ;)

Post #5 Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:19 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
This is an "old book" but still good:

E. A. Znosko-Borovsky How to Play the Chess Openings

This book was first published in 1935 but it is still one of the best ones to learn how to think about the opening in chess. Most modern books are just about memorizing a zillion variations. This one is one of the few old or new that helps you to think for yourself.

This post by gowan was liked by: Tomoe

Post #6 Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:49 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 71
gowan wrote:
This is an "old book" but still good:

E. A. Znosko-Borovsky How to Play the Chess Openings

This book was first published in 1935 but it is still one of the best ones to learn how to think about the opening in chess. Most modern books are just about memorizing a zillion variations. This one is one of the few old or new that helps you to think for yourself.

A lot of modern books use computer analysis and the authors get carried away in explaining all of the variations under the iceberg that a normal player isn't interested in.

That being said, there are a lot of wonderful chess books that have come out in the last few years.

After you have purchased your introductory book and are ready for something challenging, you basically need one strategy book, one tactics book, one endgame book, and a structured learning course. These books I'm going to list here will take you to the level of a decent club player.

Chess Strategy for Club Players - Herman Grooten
Chess Tactics from Scratch - Martin Weteschnick
Silman's Complete Endgame Course - Jeremy Silman
Build Up your Chess / Boost your Chess / Chess Evolution - Artur Yusupov (series of 9 books)

This post by Jujube was liked by: Tomoe

Post #7 Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:21 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 75
Was liked: 58
There is also an "1001 life and death problems" book in chess from John Emms, which I can recommend. Its called "The Ultimate chess puzzle book" or "1001 Schachaufgaben".

Post #8 Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:39 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
GD Posts: 100
I like "The Right Way to Play Chess" by David Pritchard.

After that, a series of books called "Winning Chess Series" by Yasser Seirawan.

As for chess problems, "Chess: 5334 Problems, Combinations and Games" by Laszlo Polga

but you might be better checking out the online chess trainer on the www.chess.com website.