It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Even game victory against a 2 kyu...
Post #1 Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:09 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 19
KGS: Revilo
IGS: Revilo
This is probably a beginner's wet dream but unfortunately it happened to me not in go but in shogi. I thought I'd share this story here anyway since I've also seen some shogi threads in the off topics on here.

So I went to a go night at a pub close to my old university to meet up with an old pal of mine. I was there a bit early and discovered two Japanese students playing shogi. After their game they asked me if I knew the game and I told them I started playing a year ago but was of master strength in chess. They told me they were 1 dan and 2 kyu, respectively, so I asked if they would play me. I was quite curios to see how I would do against players that strong - after all it is very diffucult to get a game like that in Germany at all.

To cut the long story short the 1 dan wiped the floor with me. First, in an even game, I allowed a bishop exchange which he immediately dropped back to bust me. Then I played him on a handicap of bishop and rook (which is probably 9 stones) and embarrassed myself when I lost a lot of material because I mixed up the kanji of two pieces...

So then I played the 2 kyu even. I don't know if he went easy on me but he played the joseki very quietly instead of trying some aggro stuff on me. So I managed to get into a normal middle game with a castled king. To my surprise I later managed to start a big attack. I sacrificed some more stuff to strip his king of defenders and checkmated him. While I thought that I played unsound, the 1 dan seemed to agree because he only showed us how I could have checkmated even more quickly :D

It's been quite an amazing experience for me. I only wish I could manage that in go as well. On the other hand, shogi is so close to chess that a lot of skills overlap, which is probably why I'm not an absolute beginner.

A very nice experience. Later on I lost against my 3 dan go pal on nine stones... :roll:

This post by Revilo was liked by 2 people: Anzu, skydyr

Post subject: Re: Even game victory against a 2 kyu...
Post #2 Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:58 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 95
Was liked: 56
When I was living in a homeless shelter, I played Chinese chess against my, also homeless, Chinese friend. I was a newbie at the time, but with sixteen years of chess experience, I was able to get the win.

Attachments:
images-550x366.jpg
images-550x366.jpg [ 44.04 KiB | Viewed 3855 times ]

Post #3 Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:33 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 5
^ win!

Post #4 Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:47 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 19
KGS: Revilo
IGS: Revilo
LifeIn9x9 wrote:
^ win!

Ah, the joys of xiangqi endgame theory... is this won for red? Assuming it's cannon, knight and pawn vs cannon and a full defense?

How to force an exchange of the defending cannon?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk