It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
Offline
 Post subject: Academia.edu
Post #1 Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:48 pm 
Judan

Posts: 6029
Liked others: 1404
Was liked: 2316
Does anybody know anything about academia.edu? I have received a couple of emails from them recently that appear to be stealth marketing, although it seems to be free at the moment. Thanks. :)

_________________
"Drooling Banjos"


Last edited by Bill Spight on Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Academia.edu
Post #2 Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:19 pm 
Lives in gote
User avatar

Posts: 337
Location: Riverside CA
Liked others: 227
Was liked: 68
Rank: KGS 7 kyu
KGS: Krill
OGS: Krill
From my experience, it is basically an academic Facebook. Just like Facebook, there's a slimy side (Big Data and all that), but it's also free and there are some definite uses (folks can post papers, invite people to an online session to discuss or comment on a paper, things like that).


This post by Monadology was liked by 2 people: Bill Spight, Bonobo
Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Academia.edu
Post #3 Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:38 pm 
Judan

Posts: 6029
Liked others: 1404
Was liked: 2316
Monadology wrote:
From my experience, it is basically an academic Facebook. Just like Facebook, there's a slimy side (Big Data and all that), but it's also free and there are some definite uses (folks can post papers, invite people to an online session to discuss or comment on a paper, things like that).


Many thanks. :)

_________________
"Drooling Banjos"

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Academia.edu
Post #4 Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:44 pm 
Gosei
User avatar

Posts: 1968
Location: Germany
Liked others: 7067
Was liked: 800
Rank: OGS + EGF DDK
OGS: trohde
FWIW, I have subscribed to one person’s publications there, never got any spam (unlike LinkedIn, which I have left meanwhile), I only get notifications of their new papers or updates to their papers.

_________________
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.” — Mark Twain ★ Come and play on OGS


This post by Bonobo was liked by: Bill Spight
Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Academia.edu
Post #5 Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:06 pm 
Judan

Posts: 6029
Liked others: 1404
Was liked: 2316
Bonobo wrote:
FWIW, I have subscribed to one person’s publications there, never got any spam (unlike LinkedIn, which I have left meanwhile), I only get notifications of their new papers or updates to their papers.


Many thanks. :)

_________________
"Drooling Banjos"

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Academia.edu
Post #6 Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:10 am 
Dies in gote

Posts: 24
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Liked others: 1
Was liked: 8
Rank: IGS 12 kyu
KGS: Revilo
IGS: Revilo
I think it's legit. I registered there for research while I was working on my thesis. The only mail I ever got from them since then are notifications about folks visiting my profile.


This post by Revilo was liked by: Bonobo
Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Academia.edu
Post #7 Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:53 am 
Lives with ko

Posts: 181
Location: Japan
Liked others: 34
Was liked: 52
Rank: KGS 3-5k
I have an account on there, but I think I only updated it like once. I have to keep my info on other places anyway, though this one is actually quite a common search result. So, if you are on the market, it might be worth keeping it updated because people might easily find your info there searching your name.


This post by Go_Japan was liked by: Bonobo
Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Academia.edu
Post #8 Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:59 am 
Judan

Posts: 6029
Liked others: 1404
Was liked: 2316
Revilo wrote:
I think it's legit. I registered there for research while I was working on my thesis. The only mail I ever got from them since then are notifications about folks visiting my profile.


Many thanks. :)

_________________
"Drooling Banjos"

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Academia.edu
Post #9 Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:00 am 
Judan

Posts: 6029
Liked others: 1404
Was liked: 2316
Go_Japan wrote:
I have an account on there, but I think I only updated it like once. I have to keep my info on other places anyway, though this one is actually quite a common search result. So, if you are on the market, it might be worth keeping it updated because people might easily find your info there searching your name.


Many thanks. :)

_________________
"Drooling Banjos"

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Academia.edu
Post #10 Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:01 am 
Judan

Posts: 6029
Liked others: 1404
Was liked: 2316
Thanks again to everyone. :) I think I have a pretty good picture now.

_________________
"Drooling Banjos"

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group