All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Time Management Strategies
Post #1 Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:22 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
I guess this could be about studying go - or about anything else.

What are some strategies that you take to manage your time effectively?

Personally, I try to make daily schedules, with allocated amounts of time to do particular tasks. This is sometimes effective, but sometimes falls apart when I fail to do a scheduled task for the day. For example, if I miss what I had scheduled from 6PM to 6:30PM one day, it is hard for me to continue with what I had scheduled from 7:30PM to 8:30PM, since I've already "messed up" my schedule.

What are some ways that you like to manage your own time?

Post subject: Re: Time Management Strategies
Post #2 Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:25 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
That's a difficult one. It depends on my priorities. My time from 7:30am-8pm is automatically gone with immovable work / children duties, and the next hour and a half is really housework. So, when that finishes, I tend to just do whatever I want to until I go to bed. I normally have a plan for that evening and the next, and if I'm too tired I re-arrange them, if I'm not, I do them :P

This month there's quite a lot of Go in it because of the study group, next couple of months I'm going to start my hour runs again probably with the better light.

When other things crop up, I treat it as an "I'm too tired" night and re-arrange as normal.

Sorry, that's probably not very helpful I guess.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:35 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
I don't schedule blocks of time for things unless they are known duration events such as a movie or a flight or a class. And even then I add a buffer in case they are not on time.

Other than that, I simply have a priority list. I do it from top to bottom. ( Actually I have several lists, depending on where I am: one for home, one for work, one for business travel ) Some items on it have dates, and occasionally that requires re-arranging the list. The list(s) are the homepage on my laptop.

I don't judge whether I am done with something by whether or not I have spent a prescibed amount of time on it. I judge it to be finished when it is done and done well - or screwed up beyond hope of repair.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:31 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
I go into byo-yomi at noon. ;)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by 3 people: daniel_the_smith, robinz, topazg

Post #5 Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:45 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 36
Was liked: 63
KGS: Toge
If I have to do some kind of project, I divide it into accomplishable parts. Read 30 pages (or a chapter) of book per day for example, so that you will get it done at time. Minute schedules are too restricting in my opinion. It's also *much* better to use larger timeframe if you can help it. Some of my fellow students use the last week or even the last night before exams to study. Sleep is essential for learning, so it shouldn't be skipped.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:05 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 92
Was liked: 80
KGS: LocoRon
I usually go to whatever is hard scheduled (classes, etc), then get home and spend all my free time playing games, watching TV and movies...

Then, the day before any work is due (or sometimes the morning of the day it is due), I rush to complete it all... after playing more games, and watching more TV and movies, of course.

Post #7 Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:45 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 41
Was liked: 97
GD Posts: 351
I manage time and tasks exactly like Joaz described. Meetings aside, I don't have a precise schedule, but instead work with a priority/task list. This works better for me as it leaves more room for spontaneous activities and allows me to do what I feel most like doing at a time (within the limits of the priority list and stuff that needs to be done, e.g dishes). I try not to let the clock dictate too large parts of my daily life. (But I'm also fortunate that my job doesn't force me on specific time schedules most of the time, except for said meetings and events.)

Post #8 Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:57 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
GD Posts: 100
Turning it around, in my experience poor time management is not realising what is important. Hence I've seen guys waste weeks at work on minor tasks and miss important deadlines.. I'd say figure out what's important, set a time limit for doing dull tasks like tidying & don't turn the tv on or browse the internet.

Post #9 Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:53 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
If I knew how to manage my time, I might post here less~

This post by Chew Terr was liked by: ez4u