It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Motorola Xoom
Post #1 Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:27 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 92
Was liked: 80
KGS: LocoRon
I just purchased a Motorola Xoom today, and since there was such a lively discussion about tablets in general in the iPad2 thread, I decided I'd start a thread to answer any questions anyone might have concerning this tablet (and Honeycomb, in general).

Depending on how inspired I am at any particular moment, I would be willing to install some apps to test them (and even, possibly, purchase some), if you're curious about how well they work. I might also create some YouTube videos, or pictures to showcase Xoom operations, etc.

Anyway. Ask away. :)

Post subject: Re: Motorola Xoom
Post #2 Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:37 pm 
Lives with ko

This being a Go forum, I thought it might be a good idea to kick things off by showing a picture of the KGS client in action. :D

(I also decided to put the Xoom on top of a standard sized college text book, just to give a proper sense of size and proportion)

IMG_20110411_183249 by Loco Ron, on Flickr

Edit:

Hosting on flickr instead, since the full image was displayed, rather than just a thumbnail...

Post #3 Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:38 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 123
GD Posts: 292
KGS: RedBeard
DGS: Akahige
Could you do a review of anDGS on the Zoom? Also, how does a Go World PDF look on the screen? (you can download a sample issue from Kisedo if you don't have one).

Thanks.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:17 pm 
Lives with ko

Will do. :)

I just installed anDGS, but I'm pretty tired right now and still have some homework to do. :S I'll try to make a video review for this one tomorrow after school.

As for Go World, I don't think I have the sample issue, and my few Google searches have only been turning up dead links. I'll try some more searches for this tomorrow. I have tried some general book PDFs though, and they look fine. Although, it does come down to the specific reader, for how they behave. I was already going to do some more thorough investigation of PDF readers tomorrow, to find one that behaves the way I want, so I will also report back on this. :)

Post #5 Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:55 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
LocoRon wrote:
As for Go World, I don't think I have the sample issue, and my few Google searches have only been turning up dead links. I'll try some more searches for this tomorrow. I have tried some general book PDFs though, and they look fine. Although, it does come down to the specific reader, for how they behave. I was already going to do some more thorough investigation of PDF readers tomorrow, to find one that behaves the way I want, so I will also report back on this. :)

http://www.kiseidodigital.com/GW045.pdf

This should help.

Also let me know how gobandroid looks. I need to really spend the time for features.

Post #6 Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:13 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 257
Was liked: 287
KGS: wms
Glad to see the KGS client works. :) When the Xoom was announced, I made the code changes to put game chat on the same screen as the board (on a phone the game chat is accessible through a button that opens a popup window in front of the game instead). But the emulator runs unbearably slow so I wasn't able to do anything more, so the GUI looks pretty awkward as you can see.

I'm hoping to buy a tablet soon (probably an Asus eee transformer if the reviews are positive), and I'll probably make more tablet-only tweaks to the android client when that happens.

Edit: Wait...where is the text input field to enter your own chat? I think I may have forgotten that on the tablet GUI. Oops. :oops:

Post #7 Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:13 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 43
Was liked: 139
wms wrote:
Quote:
so the GUI looks pretty awkward as you can see

To be honest, I was trying to figure out where White should play. ;-)

Post #8 Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:52 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 65
GD Posts: 29
Fedya wrote:
wms wrote:
Quote:
so the GUI looks pretty awkward as you can see

To be honest, I was trying to figure out where White should play. ;-)

This must be the best off topic comment in the off topic thread. I just love it.

Cheers,
Vesa

Post #9 Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:49 pm 
Lives with ko

oren wrote:
http://www.kiseidodigital.com/GW045.pdf

This should help.

Also let me know how gobandroid looks. I need to really spend the time for features.

Thanks for the link (that's actually what I kept turning up last night, but it wasn't working--luckily it finally was today).

Here's just a basic shot of a new board on gobandroid. Was there anything in particular you would want to see?
IMG_20110412_160503 by Loco Ron, on Flickr

(Oh man, I just installed the skin packs... should have done that before taking the picture :D )

Redbeard:

Here's a shot of the cover of the sample issue of Go World.

IMG_20110412_162441 by Loco Ron, on Flickr

Personally, I think it looks really good. The diagrams and text in the issue were also very readable. I'm loving using the Xoom as an ereader (I was reading comics on during transit to and from school).

wms wrote:
Glad to see the KGS client works. :) When the Xoom was announced, I made the code changes to put game chat on the same screen as the board (on a phone the game chat is accessible through a button that opens a popup window in front of the game instead). But the emulator runs unbearably slow so I wasn't able to do anything more, so the GUI looks pretty awkward as you can see.

Edit: Wait...where is the text input field to enter your own chat? I think I may have forgotten that on the tablet GUI. Oops. :oops:

From the picture I posted, I think the layout is pretty good. The board is large enough that coordinates can easily be selected easily and accurately without weird workarounds (and this holds true for all the Go apps I've tried so far), and the chat box is a nice size. The awkward part is when I press the chat button. Then, a chat overlay opens above the board (the same as when used on a phone), but then the virtual keyboard pops up, thus pushing the top half of the chat window off the screen. Other than that, it's a lot closer to the desktop client, which I think is a huge bonus.

Post #10 Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:56 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
The text area is probably ridiculous big there but not quite large enough on a phone. :)

Try loading up some commented games from http://gogameworld.com and see how you like going through those. That's the main use I have. I'm waiting for the next release which fixes an issue I have with stone placement. Then I just need to get tsumego working decently.