It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: gym
Post #1 Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:58 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 71
GD Posts: 175
Can there be anything more boring than that?
On a threadmill, cross trainer, a rowing machine, etc, I feel like a hamster turning in a wheel.

Post subject: Re: gym
Post #2 Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:02 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
entropi wrote:
On a threadmill, cross trainer, a rowing machine, etc, I feel like a hamster turning in a wheel.

Agreed, when I want to run, I enjoy a few miles of open off-road countryside.

Post #3 Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:32 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
entropi wrote:

Bring something to watch or listen to and take your mind off of it.

Post #4 Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:00 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 257
Was liked: 287
KGS: wms
I like going to the gym. It gives me time to think. I don't run in the gym though - I run outdoors.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:27 am 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
oren wrote:
entropi wrote:

Bring something to watch or listen to and take your mind off of it.

Agreed to this. If you use something like an elliptical you can read while you run - some people can read on the treadmill, but I've never been able to pull that off.

If you insist on enjoying your exercise, take up some sports.

Post #6 Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:58 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
GD Posts: 100
Well I like the gym & the treadmill is one of my favourites! - I guess running outside would be okay apart for rubbish on the path, poor weather, cars and pedestrians (okay some people might live in more pretty locations). It's a great way to switch off a racing mind, I just set myself a target - another 10 minutes at a speed I can't imagine completing and push myself until I do it. Anyone who can read on the treadmill is going too slow & is wasting their time, in my opinion. A hamster? I prefer machine.

Post #7 Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:35 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 16
Was liked: 83
GD Posts: 156
I've gotten the hand of reading on ellipticals and bike machines so that's helped , but I know what you mean. Lately I've been trying to ditch the cardio style workouts at the gym itself and replace them with biking to the gym itself and call that good so I can focus on machines and weights.

Now if I could just swim to the gym...

Bruce "Jim" Young

Post #8 Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:22 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 65
KGS: Numsgil
I had the opportunity to buy a nice treadmill for my place, so I actually set up my TV and XBox so I play Call of Duty online while I run. Definitely makes the running far less detestable.

Post #9 Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:59 am 
Lives in gote

The TV is always on in the sport club I go and I watch it but it is still boring.
Reading (or maybe even solving tsumego) would be ok but I cannot do it on a treadmill while running. And definitely not on a rowing machine :)

I also prefer to run or bike outside but my spring allergies are annoying these days. It will hopefully be over towards the end this month.

Post #10 Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:01 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
Wow! Guys, all I can say is take the time you spend reading and running simultaneously on the treadmill, cut it in half, and devote yourself fully to each action.

I won't go so far as to say that if you're not uncomfortable it's not exercise, but if you're not uncomfortable, it's barely exercise.

Post #11 Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:49 am 
Lives in gote

cdybeijing wrote:
Wow! Guys, all I can say is take the time you spend reading and running simultaneously on the treadmill, cut it in half, and devote yourself fully to each action.

I won't go so far as to say that if you're not uncomfortable it's not exercise, but if you're not uncomfortable, it's barely exercise.

I think it depends on your purpose. If you have a specific goal like losing that many kilos in a month, or getting fit to run a marathon (or something easier), etc then it is true that you must push your limits little by little.

But if the only purpose is feeling better and healthier, then I would say being comfortable (not uncomfortable) is ok.

Post #12 Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:17 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 193
Was liked: 83
GD Posts: 56
KGS: hopjesvla
cdybeijing wrote:

Nooo! I do not know a better feeling than that of being in excellent shape and pushing your limits on a 10k run! For me, if it's a good day without any annoying little pains, running often feels good from the start ("hmmm, nice pace, nice weather, how enjoyable") to the end ("woaahh, I can stand the pain... nobody will stop me... I must be Superman!!"). Injuries and beginner discomforts like annoying stings and such are "uncomfortable". Pushing your limits is not.

I have never liked gyms though. The environment is so ugly and devoid of the beauty and the elements. If you can, running through a forest just doubles to the enjoyment.

When in doubt, play the most aggressive move

Post #13 Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:13 am 
Oza

cdybeijing wrote:

The whole point is that when you sit in a chair reading, your legs are doing nothing, and when you use the elliptical, your eyes and brain are doing nothing. Combining the two is actually cost-free.

We may have different ideas of "uncomfortable" in mind, but if you're used to exercise, running the same distance at the same resistance that you've been doing for months, with appropriate stretches beforehand, should be pretty painless. Sure, if you suddenly decide that you want to turn the dial to 11, or run for twice as long, or something, you're going to have to focus on finishing the run ... but once you acclimate to that, you're golden. Is your idea that it's only "exercise" if it's getting continuously more intense?

Post #14 Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:55 am 
Lives in gote

jts wrote:
cdybeijing wrote:

The whole point is that when you sit in a chair reading, your legs are doing nothing, and when you use the elliptical, your eyes and brain are doing nothing. Combining the two is actually cost-free.

We may have different ideas of "uncomfortable" in mind, but if you're used to exercise, running the same distance at the same resistance that you've been doing for months, with appropriate stretches beforehand, should be pretty painless. Sure, if you suddenly decide that you want to turn the dial to 11, or run for twice as long, or something, you're going to have to focus on finishing the run ... but once you acclimate to that, you're golden. Is your idea that it's only "exercise" if it's getting continuously more intense?

Uncomfortable does not mean pain. I'm not talking about training to be a UFC fighter or bust. It is a point of moderate discomfort where you have reached and sustained an elevated heart rate for a significant period of time. Of course, that will depend on personal limitations and fitness levels. But, running the same distance at the same resistance month after month is not going to do very much for your health and fitness, especially if that pace and distance is one that is allowing you to read simultaneously, or play video games, or whatever.

The cost free argument is a case of outsmarting yourself. If one runs at a pace that allows them to read, they are most certainly sacrificing on the quality of their reading, at the very least. While the running is no doubt better from a health standpoint than sitting and reading, it is nevertheless a waste of time (again from a health standpoint) compared to dropping the reading and focusing on running intensively to a state of moderate discomfort.

Few would seriously argue that curling the remote control while watching television is a cost-free activity benefiting your health, but it is not an absurd analogy.

Post #15 Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:02 am 
Lives in gote

gaius wrote:
cdybeijing wrote:

Nooo! I do not know a better feeling than that of being in excellent shape and pushing your limits on a 10k run! For me, if it's a good day without any annoying little pains, running often feels good from the start ("hmmm, nice pace, nice weather, how enjoyable") to the end ("woaahh, I can stand the pain... nobody will stop me... I must be Superman!!"). Injuries and beginner discomforts like annoying stings and such are "uncomfortable". Pushing your limits is not.

I have never liked gyms though. The environment is so ugly and devoid of the beauty and the elements. If you can, running through a forest just doubles to the enjoyment.

You don't seem to be disagreeing with me despite your cry of "Nooo!", except maybe you interpret my word uncomfortable as injuries or beginner overuse discomforts. Injuries and pains are bad. The feeling: "I can stand the pain, I am Superman" comes long after being somewhat uncomfortable and certainly counts as exercise.

Post #16 Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:41 am 
Oza

cdybeijing wrote:
But, running the same distance at the same resistance month after month is not going to do very much for your health and fitness, especially if that pace and distance is one that is allowing you to read simultaneously, or play video games, or whatever.

I don't follow. Running six miles in an hour at high resistance is good exercise, regardless of whatever else it is you're doing. Reading 30 pages in an hour is good intellectual stimulation, regardless of whatever else it is your doing. Could I run harder if I weren't reading? Maybe. Or, I could just get bored and run less frequently. Likewise, could I read more, or more thoroughly, if I weren't running? Maybe. Or, maybe I would lose track of time and spend too much time on each article, and end up reading less.

cdybeijing wrote:

The cost free argument is a case of outsmarting yourself. If one runs at a pace that allows them to read, they are most certainly sacrificing on the quality of their reading, at the very least. While the running is no doubt better from a health standpoint than sitting and reading, it is nevertheless a waste of time (again from a health standpoint) compared to dropping the reading and focusing on running intensively to a state of moderate discomfort.

Few would seriously argue that curling the remote control while watching television is a cost-free activity benefiting your health, but it is not an absurd analogy.

Okay, but as a complex being with multiple interests, I take multiple standpoints simultaneously; I am interested in health and in reading. Perhaps an hour doing both is less intense than an hour doing just one, but if I am spending some time reading and some time exercising, and an hour doing both is equivalent to at least 31 minutes of each activity, then I'm better off spending two hours reading and running, rather than one hour reading and one hour running. Cost-free. I whip up two extra minutes out of nowhere.

As it is, I would estimate that an hour of doing both is worth 50 minutes of running and 40 minutes of reading. But that understates the gain by a bit, because when I'm able to read and exercise at the same time I actually spend less time doing pointless things like posting on forums, since I can squeeze 90 minutes into an hour if I go to the gym.

Post #17 Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:43 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 124
Was liked: 46
If DDR counts I guess I work out regularly :mrgreen:

Post #18 Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:23 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 103
Was liked: 39
Most of my gym time is spent trying different types of cartwheels. :cool: MUCH more fun.