It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: MTG?
Post #101 Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:43 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Yeah, I would second that it's not hard to get into. I wouldn't call myself that good of a player, but I think I'm probably at least as good as one of the guys I work with, who says he's been doing it since he was in the 4th grade of elementary school (though, he has more cards).

Post #102 Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:46 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 144
GD Posts: 720
I've only been playing for about two years, but just the other day, I picked up a friend's legacy(the possible card pool is every card in Magic, with a banlist) deck, and after about a 5 minute primer, I proceeded to use it to help him test some other decks for a legacy tournament.

Legacy is hard, though, play skill has an even higher impact on the game. I played BUG Aluren, and man is it fun! Pernicious Deed is just a horribly unfair card compared to anything in Standard right now.

Every single card in the Legacy deck(minus the basic lands) were cards that did not come out while I've been playing, but just learning the fundamentals of how to play and being a decent player in general let me perform as a decent test partner.

Post #103 Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:40 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Whew. What a lot of work!

I just finished putting all of my cards into excel. I made different columns for different attributes that a card might have (eg. trample, lifelink, infect, etc.), so that I can quickly query for cards that I have of a particular attribute. This didn't work for all cards, because some cards have unique abilities, but I tried to make as many categories as possible.

In any case, all of the cards I have are inputted, now. The only thing I wish I had done differently at this point is to be more specific with spell casting cost. I listed casting cost as a single number so that I could sort it easily, but I should have added columns for casting cost of different colors, so I could tell the difference between something that is two colorless and 1 blue mana, and something that is 1 colorless and 2 blue mana, for example.

Either way, it has worked out for organizing my cards so far. I made a deck yesterday pretty quickly, because I could query the types of cards I wanted.

I also put all of the cards of each color in alphabetical order, so that, when I find a card in excel, I can quickly find it in real life.

It took a lot of time, but I'm glad that I did it.

Post #104 Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:33 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 71
Was liked: 27
Been playing since Time Spiral block myself, though the rising price is putting the game on the backburner for me. Constructed and 1-v-1 guy all the way, though I can be bothered to play the occasional Cube draft. FFA multiplayer is a messenger of doom from hell and makes the game about politics instead of Magic.

Loved Time Spiral-Lorwyn Standard, nowadays I mostly play German Highlander and Pauper, as other formats are simply uninteresting. Would've perhaps gotten into Legacy, but of course the f**kers had to ban Survival. So much for that, then.

Violence wrote:
To those of you with old cards which are Legacy staples, like Wasteland, it's definitely a good time to get rid of them. Legacy Tournaments are getting more and more popular, and the prices for cards are skyrocketing.

Sword of Fire and Ice is now worth 60 dollars and still rising. What is this I don't even.

Tell me about it :'(
Any good new Constructed card is Rare or worse, Mythic and thus costs a million (hello, 12/15ths of a pack of Limited chaff)

Been contemplating selling my money cards (Wasteland, Swords (RU, GB), Force, Tropical Island etc.) and just proxying the stuff since I only go to like one Highlander tournament a year or something anyway.

Violence wrote:
And really, being a Go player makes Magic a lot easier. I make less mistakes, I can see mistakes more easily, and the path to improvement is really quite straightforward, imo.

I also just stare blankly whenever people tell me how hard Magic can be and how there are so many different possible plays at many different junctures.

Because I know better.

Heh. Yeah, after you reach a certain level the choice is usually obvious or between two clear lines of play (The evaluation may be hard, the plays themselves not really). At least unless you play something monstrous like Meandeck Tendrils (Vintage), Doomsday (Legacy) or Pattern-Rector (Highlander). Then you likely do have a fuckton of playlines to consider.

But yeah. Those decks are considered hard. For a reason. Certain old boardgame is like that. Every game.

Marcus wrote:
I have an urge to brush off my old MTGO account and see if I have more time to play online, since I only get out about once a month for FNM.

Don't. There's a free program called Cockatrice that works on 'doze/Mac/Linux and saves you from paying real-world prices for virtual stuff with the same horrid ripoff scheme. (I mean, 20 bucks for a virtual card? Seriously?

rubin427 wrote:
At the comic shop I played at, you were required to HATE Atogs (because of the infinite combo). If you opened a shiny new pack of cards and got an Atog, the owner would let you use his staple gun so you crucify this abomination of a card on the "wall of Atogs". There must have been 400 or so Atogs stapled into directly to the drywall.

Oh man. Memories.

Used to tear Brilliant/Clarion Ultimatums and Altar Golems to pieces myself. Certain Johnnies at the cardshop were crying in anguish at the just punishment meted out to craptastic cardboard. Said Johnny now aspires to play Smash competitively.

Tooveli wrote:
Anyone know what my best plan is for selling it?

Also, should I reinvest that money in a few packs for drafts from the current format or will it be a slippery slope even though I'm 7 years older, wiser but with the same fascination for games... ?

1. Sell collection to bot for tickets.
2. Sell tickets on eBay or something
3. ??? (Don't restart the game unless you plan on playing w/Cockatrice or similar)
4. Profit.

Tooveli wrote:
Aside from new mechanics, the main rule change seems to be instant resolution of combat damage... that makes me sad.

R.I.P. Momentary Blink, best common ever.

Chew Terr wrote:
It's almost sad how eager I am for the XBLA MTG game coming out in a week or so... It's easier to get your money's worth out of that game than a single real-card draft, though. And any game with local coop wins in my book.

Duels is horrible. Apart from the puzzles, which are brilliant. You just know something good is going to happen when you get an assignment of "Kill opponent. Now." and are given a Protean Hulk on the field.

@ Kirby:
I'm so screwed up my head handles the "what is in my collection" part :P
Congrats on starting on UB control and inventing RDW.
You might want to use either Gatherer or Magiccards.info for finding new cards for your decks and things like that. They have powerful filtering tools that make it really convenient to see if what you find exists.

Violence's explanations thus far have been good, but his terminology is a bit off. It's not card power, it's card advantage. THIS is card POWER.

Anyway, this post turned out to be somewhat of a monster, but that's what you get for making a six-page thread about my #1 hobby :P

This post by Zombie was liked by 2 people: Kirby, shapenaji

Post #105 Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:26 am 
Dies with sente

Whee! It's that time of the year again! What time of the year, you ask? The time when Finland's biggest PnP RPG/card game/tabletop wargaming/??? convention is held, and apart from Yomi, I've been playing a ton of Magic, almost exclusively German Highlander with Pattern-Rector as my weapon of choice. I've got to say, I doubt I've ever played a Magic deck that is so thoroughly enjoyable for so damn long. There have been decks that are as fun as Pattern-Rector, but they've all lost their luster eventually (just too easy, I guess).

So, ladies and gentlemen, the best deck in the game:
Warning: Contains a monster. A beautiful, beautiful monster, but a monster nonetheless.

(Think this is hard enough for you Violence? :D)

Apart from gushing over that one deck, I'd recommend anyone who's played the game a bit longer to try German Highlander. It's an amazing format:
1. Normal rules, none of this weird Commander bs.
2. The big singleton decks bring back a small bit of the feeling of the old times when decks were made out of singletons out of necessity. It also encourages trading within a Highlander community because no one really needs more than a copy or two of any one card.
3. Eternal format, but costly (mana-wise) cards are still actually relatively viable, unlike in Legacy.
4. The lack of any single card is rarely an obstacle to the deck functioning well (except in special cases like mine)

Post #106 Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:13 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 8
I just recently found my old MtG deck hehe. Half of it seems to be from VI and the other half has no set indicator, I guess they didn't use them before that? The older ones also use terms like Bury instead of Destroy and says "Summon Orc" instead of "Creature - Orc". Had already forgotten what old cards were like, been around 13-14 years since I played :)

I got the Duels of the Planeswalkers game on STEAM recently since it wasn't that expensive and it was a really nice way to re-learn the rules and test myself a little bit. Not being able to create your own decks kinda kills it for me in the longer run though. But fun for a while anyway.

Also bought a 2012 Core Set Fat Pack a few days ago for fun. It was still a bit exciting to open boosters. Only got 1 mythic rare(Sorin Markov, I'm building a vampire monoblack deck), but it the one I actually most wanted so it works out good. Too bad I can't get a nocturnus without dipping into 2010.. Such a moneysink :razz:

Post #107 Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:41 am 
Dies with sente

Nice to hear that you still enjoy the game Mike (even if it's become more of a chore money-wise nowadays).
I don't like Duels much myself (so annoying that you have to ask for permission to stop the action and do stuff when normal Magic is founded on the principle of GIVING the game permission to continue).
The puzzles on the harder end are genuinely amazing, though. They could've made some more so it would've been a better value for money (the rest of the game is bad), but yeah. Good stuff anyway.

Since someone once said that God kills a kitten every time a booster is opened without using it for Limited, I present two ways to use single boosters with a friend:

1. Minimaster / Pack Wars
Needed: 2 boosters, 2 players, 6 of each basic land.
Setup: Both players open their booster (cards face down so that you don't see any), remove the token, shuffle booster contents and 3 of each basic land together.
Play a game of Magic! It'll most likely be hilarious and weird. The occasional Minimaster never gets old. It's a good way to save kittens' lives and make drawing those bad rares a little less painful (since they're often completely bonkers in Minimaster)

2. Danish Minimaster.
Danish is a format where:
1. Mana is infinite
2. X costs can be 3 at most.
3. All lands have Cycling and "When this enters the battlefield, return it to it's owner's hand".
4. Players have no starting hands and draw one card per turn.

Danish Minimaster saves you the fuss of having basic lands with you. Just remove the token from the booster and start the madness.
Note: Danish doesn't have centrally defined rules, so some players may play it so that lands can never enter the field at all, that everything you can do must be done (ie. pay kicker costs, play everything ASAP and so on), etc, but these rules are the ones I like most. They preserve the madness and original spirit of the format but do give room for some personal choice in when to play cards and whether to cycle lands with special abilities.

I also mentioned Pauper previously. It's a format where decks are built entirely out of commons, and every card that has ever been Common (according to Gatherer) is allowed (except for two banned cards: Cranial Plating and Frantic Search).

The format is ridiculously cheap compared to other Constructed formats: the most expensive cards are Lotus Petal and Daze at about 3-4 $/€ a pop and Sinkhole at 20-30 $/€. Of those, Sinkhole is largely a sideboard card and easily substituted by much cheaper, if a bit weaker options.

Some might think that the format is rather dull, but nothing could be further from the truth. The format is surprisingly one of the fastest in Magic (Only Vintage and Legacy top it at the moment), enjoying a decent variety of different decks from mana-ramping control to green decks focused on Giant Growthing Infect creatures for blazing fast wins to monoblack discard to red burn to Tortured Existence-based graveyard shenanigans.
To see what's hot in tournament Pauper can easily be seen here ("Event Coverage" box in lower right, check the Pauper Dailies).

Here's two tournament listings that demonstrate the diversity in a format that makes it easy to check cards you don't know yet:
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Digital/Ma ... rn/2608839
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Digital/Ma ... rn/2608845

EDIT: Incidentally, Pauper is also the one legit reason for using Magic Online. The commons are generally ridiculously cheap to buy from bots, and the Pauper tournament community active enough to fire about 2-3 twenty-man tournaments a day. Whatever rares you pull from prize packs (or, more often, the unopened packs themselves) can be sold to fund more tournaments, keeping your costs very low if you're good.

Post #108 Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:27 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 139
Was liked: 111
GD Posts: 209
KGS: Marcus316
Wow, I've killed literally thousands of kittens over the years, then.

Post #109 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:09 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
GD Posts: 50
It was a pretty long time since I last played magic the gathering. I think the last champion I heard of was Daniel Zink, who made use of a combination of Mirari cards.

I am not that familiar with the cards now and the other add-ons but I am still pretty interested over playing it. Probably start getting a box of booster packs again. That is how I got most of my rare cards before because there was no solid fan base near my area.

Post #110 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:36 am 
Dies with sente

Right now, some of the best ways to start Magic are the Deckbuilder's Toolkit that has tons of decent (and bad) cards you can build a deck out of. Gives you good staples, a decent amount of land (4 Terramorphic Expanses and 20 of each basic), plus a few boosters to spice things up. The decks end up being strong Limited decks (of 60 cards), pretty much. Good stuff all around.

The other good starting point are Event Decks. Why? Well, they're Wizards-made preconstructed decks. Which surprisingly do not suck all that much. They're not the best, but you do get tournament staples in good numbers with those.

The other WotC starter products I really dislike. The precons (now called Intro Packs) just suck, as usual. Stay away from them.

Post #111 Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:03 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 408
Was liked: 422
GD Posts: 952
Zombie wrote:
Right now, some of the best ways to start Magic are the Deckbuilder's Toolkit that has tons of decent (and bad) cards you can build a deck out of. Gives you good staples, a decent amount of land (4 Terramorphic Expanses and 20 of each basic), plus a few boosters to spice things up. The decks end up being strong Limited decks (of 60 cards), pretty much. Good stuff all around.

The other good starting point are Event Decks. Why? Well, they're Wizards-made preconstructed decks. Which surprisingly do not suck all that much. They're not the best, but you do get tournament staples in good numbers with those.

The other WotC starter products I really dislike. The precons (now called Intro Packs) just suck, as usual. Stay away from them.

Caveat, if folks would like to play with the event decks, I'd avoid the equipment one... you can technically use it in tournament play, but the best two cards in it (stone-forge mystics) are technically banned. (They made an exception for that one deck, as long as you make NO changes to it... most mtg players are experimental folk, and that probably won't fly) you'll get better value out of one of the others, which have great cards that you can use in other decks as well...

Post #112 Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:26 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 408
Was liked: 422
GD Posts: 952
Found this fun little random mtg card generator, some of the stuff that comes out is really neat:

http://www.toothycat.net/wiki/bnf.pl?pa ... dGenerator

on the other hand, sometimes you get stuff like this :P

Quote:
Creature - Beast (3/2, green)
your opponents may cast instant spells as though they had flash

Post #113 Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:14 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
I like the idea that it's not so much an ability as a warning. "Careful! Opponents may cast instants at any time. Be vigilant!"

Post #114 Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:32 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 114
Was liked: 916
I love some of the abilities.

Quote:
All permanents gain ''Discard a land card: put a warp counter on target land'' and ''3G: regenerate target enchantment with a warp counter on it''

Quote:
If a creature damaged this way would be put into a graveyard this turn, exile it instead and tap that creature

Quote:
Tap an untapped enchantment you control, remove any number of charge counters from ~this~: that many multicoloured enchantments gain ''Sacrifice ~this~: two target Soldiers gain flying until end of turn and those creatures gain protection from Soldiers until end of turn'' until end of turn

Quote:
Gain control of target library until end of turn

And this hilarious land:

Quote:
Land
~this~ enters the battlefield tapped.
T: add U to your mana pool. Spend this mana only on activated abilities from a Goblin source.
When ~this~ leaves the battlefield, up to three target artifact creatures are colourless until end of turn
Whenever an opponent casts a sorcery spell, flip ~this~.
All artifact creatures can't be blocked except by artifact creatures
~this~ enters the battlefield with a charge counter on it for each spell cast this turn
Whenever a artifact is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may pay X, where X is the number of cards in your hand. If you do, put a charge counter on ~this~
Remove a charge counter from ~this~: return up to three target Merfolk to their owner's hand
All artifact creatures get -4/-0
All untapped creatures with exalted can't be blocked
U, T: attach target Equipment to target artifact creature. (Control of that Equipment doesn't change.) and untap that Equipment and gain control of it until end of turn. It gains haste until end of turn.
- - - - -
Legendary Land
At the beginning of your upkeep, the next time a artifact creature would be dealt damage this turn, target opponent may pay 2. If that player doesn't, prevent 2 of that damage

Post #115 Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:29 pm 
Dies with sente

Found a better introduction to the Pauper format than anything I could ever come up with.
http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/misc ... auper.html

Read it, folks, and save your wallets from the cardboard crack!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6