It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SL & GTL problems // data loss
Post #1 Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:41 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 21
Hi,

I was about to move SL & GTL to a new server this weekend. In the middle of migration disaster struck.

For reasons beyond my control our contract with the old server was terminated today 0:00 CET, and not several days later, as I was made to believe. That means that the old server and its FTP backup are gone and data has been lost.

The current status:
  • GTL: all reviews are here, but member list, current review queue etc. has been lost, last known data is 7 months old, from 2012-08-30
  • SL:
    • wiki pages: last known version March 2nd, 1 month old
    • user profiles, recentchanges entries, discussions (talk pages): last known version 7 months old, from 2012-08-30
    • archive of wiki pages: lost 40 months of data, last known version from 2009-11-01

The data in between is lost, completely, with no hope of getting it back.

I know that I'm the one to blame and I will take full responsibility. I'm terribly sorry for the mess.
The data was backed up daily to an FTP backup area (same hosting company, same contract), because I was prepared for a server failure. I was not prepared, however, for an organizational failure. Apparently the hosting company has a process whereas they wipe the server discs and the FTP backup within some minutes/hours of the end of the contract due to "privacy policies" - there is no way in getting the information back. As I said, I was unaware that the contract was ending today otherwise this would not have happened.

Currently SL & GTL are unavailable and will remain so for at least the next 2-3 days.
By then I should have the sites back running on the new server.

I'm deeply sorry & still in a state of shock.
I keep you informed about any updates.

regards,
/Arno

ps: if you cannot reach me at my ahollosi@xmp.net address, try ahollosi@gmail.com.
pps: if you have sent me an email between 15.00 CET yesterday and 12.00 CET today, it may have been lost too.

This post by arnoh was liked by: Kirby

Post subject: Re: SL & GTL problems // data loss
Post #2 Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:08 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 704
Was liked: 288
KGS: greendemon
Tygem: greendemon
DGS: smaragdaemon
OGS: emeraldemon
Whatever happens, thanks for running Sensei's Library. It's been the best Go resource online for a long time.

This post by emeraldemon was liked by 7 people: anoek, Bonobo, Dusk Eagle, gasana, Kirby, Phelan, xiangz

Post #3 Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:15 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 58
Wow that's rough, what an awful policy they have. I call BS on their "privacy policies" excuse, that's just a horrible thing to do.

Post #4 Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:21 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 683
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: Splatted
+1 to what emeraldemon said. I doubt that in the whole of the internet there is a single English speaking go player that doesn't make use of those sites. Organisational failures are just a reminder that these things require organising, and that we should all be incredibly greatful for the work you've put in. :bow:

Post #5 Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:23 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 142
Was liked: 437
GD Posts: 9
There goes the 500+ pages I added : (

Post #6 Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:58 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Terribly sorry to hear that, and thanks for all of your work running SL.

I don't have time to think about this right now, but the first couple of thoughts that went through my head are the internet archive, the google cache, and local caches. I wonder if there's any way to retrieve the changed pages.

Post #7 Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:31 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 12
KGS: peppernut
Google will have a lot of those pages in its cache. It may be possible to retrieve the cached verions with some clever scripting.

Post #8 Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:43 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Hello Arno,

many thanks also from me for all the work you’ve done. And please don’t feel bad because all of this—to whom could such things happen if not to those who actually build something?

Does SL have a PayPal account where one could contribute some $€¥?

Greetings, Tom

Post #9 Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:51 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 42
Was liked: 52
I have been trying to access the Google caches, but unfortunately the images (that are so helpful) do not seem to be accessible. Also, in many cases, the last Google crawl date is not much better than your last backup.

I find it difficult to believe that the old server company really cannot offer anything. Could you name them, so that we (and the whole world) can see their terms and conditions?

Peter

Post #10 Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:18 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 19
KGS: Mages
Tygem: Mages
IGS: Mage
Online playing schedule: Weekends.
Sorry to hear about this. Hope things get better soon and thank you for SL :bow:

Post #11 Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:53 pm 
Oza

Archive.org has a snapshot from Feb 16 http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://senseis.xmp.net/

Don’t know how much they’ve stored, though, but I’ve been able to load a few pages there.

Post #12 Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:01 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
This hurts, and I'm really sorry both for you and for those whose contributions have been lost. As you can see, nobody is particularly interested in placing any blame (though ISPs are not exactly famous for being helpful to users leaving their server), so as others have said, my appreciation for what you have accomplished is in no way diminished by the cruelty of this mishap. I am reminded of my first experiences with computers and learning the value of "save" the hard way. I've viewed these machines with suspicion ever since, though it's surprising how often they've gotten me to let my guard down.

This post by daal was liked by: Bonobo

Post #13 Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:35 am 
Beginner

SL is online again.
If you find any problems apart from the ones mentioned in WikiNews please drop me a line (ahollosi@xmp.net).

Thanks for all the nice comments. I hope I will not disappoint you again.
I am deeply sorry for my mistakes and the data loss.

/Arno

ps: next up: working on GTL, then my private sites.

This post by arnoh was liked by 4 people: aokun, Bill Spight, Bonobo, Dusk Eagle

Post #14 Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:25 am 
Oza

Thank you, Arno Image

I see that you created an SL Page with information about this event.

And again, please don’t chasten yourself, it doesn’t make things any better, and after all things could have come a LOT worse. The sun prematurely going nova, asteroids hitting Vienna, GF/BF leaving, North Korea launching nuclear missiles …

Let’s be happy that we’re alive and well. I believe this may be like a forest fire after which new green sprouts everywhere, and we find what looked like dead wood ain’t that dead after all.

You’ve created a wonderful thing, this “Sensei’s Library”. And I for one will download your snapshots regularly from now on.

BTW I also enjoyed reading your somewhat olden “Thoughts about SL”, especially the part about hugs …

…and although hugs seem to have gotten a bit out of fashion I propose a big group hug now.

Choose yours (mine’s got the “X”):

[X]

[ ]

[ ]

Greetings, Tom

Post #15 Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:50 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 63
GD Posts: 150
KGS: aokun
Arno,

Sorry to hear about the snafu. Let me know if there's any way we can help.

Andy

Post #16 Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:34 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Arno,

Thanks for all you have done and are doing for us. :)

Not to blame yourself. Act of God. Or the Devil, as the case may be. ;)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: Bonobo

Post #17 Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:43 pm 
Beginner

Was liked: 1
Kaya handle: yuuki
Hi Arno,

thanks for dealing with the issue transparently.

Did you contact archive.org? They may be able to send you their dump.

Also, you could try to have an "advertisment" on, say, KGS, asking for user snapshots. There's a fair chance WMS would be willing to cooperate (broadcast?).

In case there are costs involved, I'm sure many people would be willing to donate a certain amount ;)

This post by mafu was liked by: Bonobo

Post #18 Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:54 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 19
Was liked: 16
KGS: lowlykyu
DGS: cornucopia
OGS: cornucopia
Thank you Arno for all the work!

mafu wrote:
In case there are costs involved, I'm sure many people would be willing to donate a certain amount ;)

+1!

This post by cornucopia was liked by: Bonobo

Post #19 Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:00 pm 
Beginner

I'm not sure that archive.org can help: it is uncertain if/how many pages they have after March 2nd, and the rest (SL archive etc.) is off-limit to bots & crawlers, so archive.org won't have any other data. Right now it looks like that Bing has the most recent versions. If you have a page that was edited in March and which you really care about, compare Bing's cache with SL's version.

Donations: SL is not that expensive to run. With added backup space it is now about $100/month, which I can afford. Even if I could raise several thousand dollars, it would not change SL - unless I'd raise so much that I could quit my job and focus my attention on SL exclusively ;-) That is highly unlikely. On second thought: if you're a millionaire looking for a good cause, talk to me! :D

If you would like to help out, then why not do some LibraryWork? I know that SL is no longer the cool kid on the block, but it still gets 1mio pageviews/month (not counting any robots.) So: help the community at large, contribute and feel good :tmbup:

Time to catch some sleep - I had a busy weekend...

This post by arnoh was liked by 5 people: Bonobo, cornucopia, ez4u, gasana, tapir