It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hey :)
Post #1 Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:05 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 1
So, I'm new here. I started playing Go last year, but gave up after a few weeks (not because I didn't enjoy it, but because I didn't have any friends to play with and playing online didn't seem like enough incentive to me). Played a few random matches over the year, but that's all. I'm from Brazil, but living in Seattle (WA, USA) for the next 2 months before going back to my country.

I decided to start playing again, but have no idea what's the best way to improve (books, playing games, watching videos, ...?). Any suggestions?

I'm 16k on OGS, but I got to that level quite quickly and never improved after that (probably one other reason as to why I stopped).

Thanks for you time :D

This post by rafaelclp was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject: Re: Hey :)
Post #2 Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:41 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 319
Was liked: 287
Universal go server handle: jeromie
Welcome!

The most important thing you can do as a beginner is to play more games, but I also found a book very helpful when I was getting started. I liked Learn to Play Go II: The Way of the Moving Horse, but there are lots of good options. Have you checked out the Seattle Go Center yet?

This post by jeromie was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, rafaelclp

Post #3 Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:26 pm 
Beginner

I only found out there is a Seattle Go Center today :P, thinking of going there next weekend. Never been to a Go center before, so what should I expect from it?

I read the first volume of Learn to Play Go some time ago, and it was a very pleasant reading (I probably read it in less than 2 hours rushing through the chapters, though, since other players had already taught me mostly everything I saw in the book, so I'm not sure if that even counts). Will try the second volume then, thanks for the suggestion!

Edit:
jeromie wrote:
... The most important thing you can do as a beginner is to play more games ...

I don't think that is completely true. Unless I really spend the time reviewing the games, it doesn't seem to help me improve at all! I didn't play even 100 games to go from OGS 25k to OGS 16k. Most of my time I'd spend reading books and reviewing (and re-reviewing) these games. I'd also solve problems and watch better players' games and try to understand their moves. Then after returning recently, I've probably already played more games than I had done in the past and I can't leave the 16k level. The main difference I can see is I'm too lazy to review my own games. So maybe that's the problem? Or maybe that's because I'm not reading any books at all. Or solving problems. I don't know, but I just can't go beyond 16k. That's why I need suggestions actually. Playing games is fun, but doesn't work for me :-|

Post subject:
Post #4 Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:40 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Welcome.

This post by EdLee was liked by: rafaelclp

Post #5 Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:21 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 19
Was liked: 16
KGS: lowlykyu
DGS: cornucopia
OGS: cornucopia
Welcome

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This post by cornucopia was liked by: rafaelclp

Post #6 Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:50 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 55
Universal go server handle: swannod
Welcome!

rafaelclp wrote:
I only found out there is a Seattle Go Center today :P, thinking of going there next weekend. Never been to a Go center before, so what should I expect from it?

Expect to learn a lot :) In my experience learning from other players (and teachers) is a significantly more efficient way to improve than just reading books.

rafaelclp wrote:
I read the first volume of Learn to Play Go some time ago, and it was a very pleasant reading (I probably read it in less than 2 hours rushing through the chapters, though, since other players had already taught me mostly everything I saw in the book, so I'm not sure if that even counts). Will try the second volume then, thanks for the suggestion!

I highly recommend all the books in the series. I think this series plus Graded Go Problems Volume 1-3 can easily take you to 10 kyu. I also really like the Jump Level Up! series after 10 kyu. Some players buy as many books as they can. However I've found that getting several solid books and simply re-reading them is very effective.

rafaelclp wrote:
I don't think that is completely true. Unless I really spend the time reviewing the games, it doesn't seem to help me improve at all! I didn't play even 100 games to go from OGS 25k to OGS 16k. Most of my time I'd spend reading books and reviewing (and re-reviewing) these games. I'd also solve problems and watch better players' games and try to understand their moves. Then after returning recently, I've probably already played more games than I had done in the past and I can't leave the 16k level. The main difference I can see is I'm too lazy to review my own games. So maybe that's the problem? Or maybe that's because I'm not reading any books at all. Or solving problems. I don't know, but I just can't go beyond 16k. That's why I need suggestions actually. Playing games is fun, but doesn't work for me :-|

I never bothered much with reviews until after 10 kyu. Some people get by with just playing games, but I think doing tsumego is probably a more efficient way to improve. So I agree with jeromie here, get some good books, read them several times, goto the Seattle Go Center, and play more games.

This post by swannod was liked by: rafaelclp

Post #7 Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:14 pm 
Beginner

Thanks swannod! I bought the Elementary Go Series, but found the first book (In the Beginning) soo boring that I quit reading after less than 30 pages. May try again in the future. I've solved all the problems in the Graded Go Problems Volume 1 last year, they were all extremely easy for my level at the time. The Volume 2 seems to be for 25-20 kyu players. Do you think I should move to Volume 3 or Volume 2 still has a lot to offer for my current level? I'm OGS 16k (don't know how that translates to the rating system in sensei's lib though).

I live in Brazil, where books are extremely expensive. That is, if you can even find them to buy, which usually you can't when it comes to Go books. So most of the time I just have to download the PDFs (legal or illegal, it's the only way :). I'm using this opportunity in the USA to buy as many books as I can, but my luggage is pretty full already, so I should start filtering what I buy a little. I want books to help me get to OGS 5 kyu by the end of 2017 (assuming I will keep playing and studying).

Post #8 Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:00 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 55
Universal go server handle: swannod
rafaelclp wrote:
Thanks swannod! I bought the Elementary Go Series, but found the first book (In the Beginning) soo boring that I quit reading after less than 30 pages. May try again in the future. I've solved all the problems in the Graded Go Problems Volume 1 last year, they were all extremely easy for my level at the time. The Volume 2 seems to be for 25-20 kyu players. Do you think I should move to Volume 3 or Volume 2 still has a lot to offer for my current level? I'm OGS 16k (don't know how that translates to the rating system in sensei's lib though).

I know that many players have learned a lot from the Elementary Go Series but I don't like them that much. Graded Go Problems Volume 1-4 will probably remain relevant to you all the way up to dan. Even though at your level you may be able to work fairly quickly through Graded Go Problems Volume 2 that doesn't mean it's not still useful. I don't think I really understood the value of doing many easy tsumego problems until very recently. Of course harder tsumego problems are also very useful, but the truth is you'll likely lose your games over easy tsumego problems not hard ones :)

Post #9 Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:42 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
rafaelclp wrote:
[..]

I live in Brazil, where books are extremely expensive. That is, if you can even find them to buy, which usually you can't when it comes to Go books. So most of the time I just have to download the PDFs (legal or illegal, it's the only way :). [..]

I’d recommend taking look at Robert Jasiek’s books http://home.snafu.de/jasiek/books.html, esp. “First Fundamentals” and “Fighting Fundamentals”. You can buy the PDF alone, or you buy the book (whereby you also get the PDF).

Post #10 Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:25 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
We have a limited number of books and equipment available for sale at the Seattle Go Center.

There are classes available on Monday and Thursday nights, and more advanced classes on Wednesday nights.

Players of all levels on Tuesday nights and Saturdays.

Post #11 Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:04 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
rafaelclp wrote:

The listed grades for the Graded Go Problems For Beginners books are famously ridiculously wrong. Volume 2 is perfect for you right now. Do not skip to volume 3.

Post #12 Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:10 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 159
Was liked: 36
To echo what others have said, with problem books, you'll repeat them many times. I've done volume 2 of Graded Go Problems 3-4 times now. Highly recommend that series, though I'd wait on volume 4 until you're closer to 5k. There is a jump in difficulty between volume 3 and 4.

Post #13 Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:55 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
I live in the Seattle area. Let me know if you want to meet up to play a game or just chat.

Post #14 Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:54 pm 
Beginner

I'm at work right now, so I will just quickly answer the comments :P.

swannod wrote:
Yeap, guess you are right :). When I'm playing I always miss simple things when these problems appear in my games and end up losing because of that.

Bonobo wrote:
Nice, thanks.

xed_over wrote:
Will probably visit this Saturday (unless something happen).

dfan wrote:
sparky314 wrote:
Alright, I think I will just get the 4 volumes and solve them multiple times over time (or whenever I'm prepared, for vol. 4).

Kirby wrote:
Sure! Although I think a match against me wouldn't be any fun for you, since my level is so low.

Post #15 Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:01 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
rafaelclp wrote:
Kirby wrote:
Sure! Although I think a match against me wouldn't be any fun for you, since my level is so low.

I used to think that when I was your level, but I've learned that if a stronger player offers to play a game with you, you should take them up on it :)

Many stronger players really enjoy helping others get stronger too.

This post by xed_over was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, dfan

Post #16 Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:33 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 60
KGS: gotony
OGS: nghtstalker
A most warm welcome to you, both for GO and the US!

I have never been to the Seattle GO Center but would love to go someday.

If u do any travelling in WA state, and make it to the SE corner come on by to our little GO club. Beer is on me. We are famous for our wine and onions also.....

If u would like an online game just let me know.

We play because we enjoy the beauty of the game, the snap and feel of real stones, and meeting interesting people. Hope to see ya there! お願いします!

Anthony