It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Funny Tournament
Post #1 Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:01 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 239
Was liked: 56
Two players, one male and one female, from Korea, China, Japan, Taiwan, North America and Europe.

One player each from South America, Africa, Oceania Asia excluding the aforementioned countries.

Set up a four-round swiss tournament, and it will replicate a single elimination for the winning players complete with a bronze medal game (matched correctly).

Call it the Milky Way Wide Ultimate Go Championships because if there are any sentient or non-sentient beings in the galaxy who play go we will surely invite them.

Two commentating pairs will be based on a jet orbiting earth, assigned to four games each.

Post subject: Re: Funny Tournament
Post #2 Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:53 pm 
Lives in gote

Another of my nightmare ideas from 2014/2015.

A win-and-continue tournament of three players each from European, American, and female Taiwanese professionals.

Now mentioning it, I think President Stiassny did imply openness to the idea of a match between the AGA and EGF professionals, but cited travel costs as being an issue. Would this be tried online?

Post #3 Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:03 am 
Lives in gote

It may be interesting to run a strength-oriented tournament with places for extra players from a combined preliminary.

For example, running the Samsung Cup but combining the female, seniors and world brackets to a single bracket with five places. Hmm, I don't think I can make this topic more insufferable at this point...

Post #4 Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:38 pm 
Lives in gote

I've thought about this for a while, and think it may be more sensible to arrange the four-round swiss tournament as follows:

Two players each, one male and one female,
China, S. Korea, Japan, Taiwan

Two players each,
Rest of Asia, N. America, Europe

One player each,
S. America, Africa&Oceania

The win-and-continue idea between EGF, AGA and female Taiwanese professionals is quite a bit older as it's always made sense to me, but maybe giving a 'one player' handicap of-sorts, the EGF and AGA professionals competing with four players and Taiwanese three, is more even.

Post #5 Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:45 am 
Lives in gote

Swiss:

1.1 16 player swiss.
1.2 4 Rounds (enough to determine a single winner)

2.1 (3 players (1 Male, 1 Female, 1 Youth) * S. Korea, China, Taiwan, Japan) = 12 players
2.2 (1 player * N.America; Europe; S.America; Asia, Oceania and other territories) = 4 players