It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why do some people never reach shodan
Post #21 Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:20 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:
Daal, it seems like you're implicitly assuming you can compare competence in go to competence in other activities.

I agree there's a glitch there. Even limiting things just to go, you may be improving in the opening and middle game but still losing all your games because your endgame is awful. So you are no nearer shodan - yet you are improving.
For me this is probably the case. I often play stronger than my rank, but stay there because my blunder rate remains high.

Quote:
And that highlights two bigger glitches. One is the assumption that shodan measures competence. Even if there is a vague, indirect correlation, it really measures nothing other than your results against players who use the same rating system.

The other glitch follows from that. If your goal is to become shodan (or pro, or whatever) you have a wrong, meaningless goal. The goal should to become competent, or more competent.

How do you know whether you are competent? Ask obvious questions:

Do I know how to live with the tripod group, the J group, the L groups, etc? Do I know how far to extend? Do I check whether I am connected? Can I count that boundary play? Do I sense there is aji there? (And so on and so forth for all the items that come up in virtually every game.) If not, I am not competent and know what I have to work on. If yes, I have achieved a level of competence in that I can cope with most of the things that occur in most of my games. Great. Now I can work on becoming more competent.

For example, I know the L group is dead, but how many liberties does it have in a semeai? I am good at staying connected but can I be more efficient with my connections (bigger leaps or doing it in sente)? I understand common kos, but do I know about yose-kos? I can count territories slowly, but can I estimate them reliably at a glance? Etc, etc.

This seems to be an excellent way of understand go competence, and putting it this way makes it clear to me why I don't expect to reach shodan. I don't know most of these things, and despite having tried to learn them, I still don't know them. I have gone over the life and death issues of the L-group for example many times, playing it out, thinking about it, comparing variations...and still I forget.

Quote:
Are you studying the right things? If you are studying tesujis or life and death and learn something that comes up only once every few hundred games (e.g. ishinoshita) you are becoming more learned, but you are not really becoming more competent. Competence means being able to handle the bulk of what is thrown at you.

So the first step is to identify what really constitutes the bulk. Playing or looking at a lot of games is one way to do this.

The second step is to apply competence to becoming competent. You handle the bulk of a new concept by first being able to identify it reliably. You then become more competent by handling it in the commonest ways. Only then do you learn how to handle the rarer uses. Eventually you may go on to learn the very rare uses and exceptions. Take aji. Step 1 is to learn to sense when it exists. When you are happy with that, go to step 2 and use your knowledge to handle it in the commonest cases. This may just mean avoiding it yourself - adding an extra stone for safety or, better, learn to make hontes. In Step 3 you may start using aji actively, probably by adding stones nearby as forcing moves. In Step 4 you may learn to use aji internally without help from forcing stones.

If you keep taking baby steps like this, shodan or pro status may suddenly creep up on you unawares. Boo!
This does seem like the right way to progress for those that are able to.

Post #22 Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:40 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4633
daal

Quote:
I could work harder at Go, but I don't feel confident that doing so would enable me to reach shodan.

I don't know you or anything significant about you, so I can't say anything trustworthy, and what I do say also risks being impertinent, but FWIW there is something that is coming over strongly: you do like validation by means of grades. Apart from shodan, you made extensive mention of grades in learning languages. As you know, my background is as a linguist and so I have dealt with very many linguists, almost daily over 50 years. I don't think I have ever come across anyone in that field so keen on grades. Instead, I know people who have targets such as being able to listen to a film in a foreign language, or learning all the dirty words. The nearest people I know to your kind of target-seekers are those who try to learn, say, 1,000 words for vegetables. You obviously know yourself best, but I'd say that more functional targets like these make sustained learning easier than abstract grades such as shodan. The immigrants you mention who get by without reaching A3 or C1 or whatever seem like successes rather than failures to me - they have achieved sufficient competence for their needs and are now getting on with other things.

Unless it is specifically having the label shodan next to your name that motivates you, I'd say that simply improving at go and so appreciating go better is sufficient reward for working harder at it. If you can learn to enjoy that, you may be motivated to study even more, and, as I've said, shodan may creep up behind you.

To pick up on one particular point, you say you've studied the L group in depth, variations and all, and have forgotten everything. I don't think the aim ever should have been to remember these details. All you need for shodan is a clear understanding that the L group is dead, plus the reassurance that you have seen (not necessarily remembered) the reasons why. Knowing all the variations is a matter for higher dans.

As for blunders, they seem to increase with age, but not because of dead brain cells. More a matter of "can't be bothered to focus properly" with so many other things I want to do. That is how it is with me, at any rate. I normally play go only when I'm too tired or lazy to do the other things. As I've spent so much time on go over the years, I can go onto auto-pilot - usually crashing in the end but I can often have a long enough flight to let my brain have a snooze. There are books in the chess world on how to avoid blunders but I haven't bothered with them. Fortunately, my proclivity for blunders does not interfere with my ability to understand and appreciate and enjoy something of what is going in pro games, nor does it stop me learning more and increasing my enjoyment. That's my target.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 3 people: Bonobo, globulon, tapir

Post #23 Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:47 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 55
Universal go server handle: swannod
daal wrote:
swannod wrote:
Hrm half of the attendees to the US Go Congress 2017 were of dan level. I generally think of talent, if such a thing even exists, as something available to maybe 10% of a population, not

What percentage of the population were the attendees of the Go congress?

A question more relevant to your theory is - how accurately does the US Go Congress represent a sample of the wider population? I personally find it hard to believe that a tournament with little in the way of monetary reward (which in fact requires significant expense) would draw a sample such that every other person has some innate ability that I do not.

Post #24 Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:53 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 528
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
If half of the people so excited about go (and have the time, money, etc.) that they make it to the Congress are dan-level, to me that's a pretty positive statement about the accessibility of 1d. Compare to chess, where my 1d-ish 2000 rating puts me at the 95th percentile of US tournament chess players. Granted, that includes lots of young kids and occasional players, but it's probably at least the 80th percentile of people who would attend a Chess Congress if there were one.

Disclaimer: I have been 4k for years :)

Post #25 Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:54 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
daal wrote:
For me this is probably the case. I often play stronger than my rank, but stay there because my blunder rate remains high.

Basically every player has two levels: your level of understanding and your level of play. The gap between those two is called frustration. It is caused by losses that are due to other things than your level of understanding.

What other ways to lose a game are there than have a worse understanding than the opponent?

1. Resigning too early, too often, for the wrong reasons
2. Running out of time
3. Making blunders

This can be trained: you can develop fighting spirit, time management and concentration. When you have developed those mental assets, which are circumstancial to the game, the only remaining reason why you'll lose is because the opponent has better understanding (or sheer statistics). Then you can work on your understanding.

Many students of the game work very hard on strategy, tactics and technique, to be frustrated the wins don't follow. Often this is because their level of play remains restricted by lack of fighting spirit, time management or concentration. While it is perfectly possible to train those aspects, somehow it is not taken very seriously. Sometimes I even feel that people inflict stupid losses on themselves, in order to keep a self image of a much higher level of understanding than they actually have, which is unfortunately destroyed by their perennial blundering.

So, first bring your level of play closer to your level of understanding. The positive feedback will be plenty. Then improve your understanding and the play will follow.

This post by Knotwilg was liked by 4 people: Bonobo, daal, dfan, Joaz Banbeck

Post #26 Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:00 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
dfan wrote:
If half of the people so excited about go (and have the time, money, etc.) that they make it to the Congress are dan-level, to me that's a pretty positive statement about the accessibility of 1d. Compare to chess, where my 1d-ish 2000 rating puts me at the 95th percentile of US tournament chess players. Granted, that includes lots of young kids and occasional players, but it's probably at least the 80th percentile of people who would attend a Chess Congress if there were one.

Disclaimer: I have been 4k for years :)

The data here might interest you, I can't vouch for its accuracy though: http://senseis.xmp.net/?RatingHistogramComparisons

This post by Boidhre was liked by: dfan

Post #27 Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:44 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 789
The following refers to German 1d.

The minimum investment is ca. 1500h playing plus 1500h study.

Talent helps but limited talent can be compensated by greater effort. A minimum talent is necessary. E.g. somebody without the ability to think one move ahead never becomes 10k, let alone 1d. I know such people who simply lack such abstract thinking ability entirely.

There are lots of topics of go theory but a 1d does not need to be strong at all of them. He should have a solid knowledge of the basics of most of them so that he can compensate or hide his weak topics. A 6d must be reasonably strong at all topics incl. those still missing in the literature. A 1d can postpone them.

There are topics and related skills that each 1d has:
- he does not make any DDK mistakes (2k still occasionally make such mistakes)
- his reading is good
- he has at least basic LD knowledge, although he does not get all LD right
- the blunder rate is ca. 2 per game
- he applies basic endgame theory, although he still makes mistakes but not in large numbers any more
- he has a good representative knowledge of many (but not very many yet) details of various fundamentals of various kinds; it does not matter which details, but the selection must be broad enough to be representative for various aspects of go knowledge

I can recommend quite a few very helpful, additional topics but they are not shared by all 1d.

This post by RobertJasiek was liked by 2 people: daal, EdLee

Post #28 Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:01 am 
Oza

John Fairbairn wrote:
I don't know you or anything significant about you, so I can't say anything trustworthy, and what I do say also risks being impertinent, but FWIW there is something that is coming over strongly: you do like validation by means of grades.

It's perfectly reasonable to make inferences based on what I said - no offense taken, though I don't think this applies to me. I brought up grades so much because I thought many people might not be aware that a system for assessing language achievement exists, and that it can be compared to go levels. Not grades, but the pleasure of learning is what motivates me most.

Quote:
Unless it is specifically having the label shodan next to your name that motivates you, I'd say that simply improving at go and so appreciating go better is sufficient reward for working harder at it. If you can learn to enjoy that, you may be motivated to study even more, and, as I've said, shodan may creep up behind you.

I'm not concerned personally with reaching shodan. Although there is room to disagree, what I've noticed is that working harder brings results only up to a point, and I find it curious that this point is below the level at which one is considered competent at go. Despite the fact that I am not improving, I still enjoy studying. Indeed, I may not be diligent enough, or not put in enough effort, but my feeling is that with the diligence and effort I have put in, I ought to be competent by now. One of the reasons I say this is that I know what amount of work and diligence is necessary to become competent in other areas, such as language.

Quote:
Fortunately, my proclivity for blunders does not interfere with my ability to understand and appreciate and enjoy something of what is going in pro games, nor does it stop me learning more and increasing my enjoyment. That's my target.

Same here. While much of the focus of this discussion has been my abilities or lack of them, that was not really the intent of my question. Rather, it is to question why it is that some people cannot manage to achieve a level that some call "competent." If anything, I am more interested in words such as "competent," "proficient," and "skilled" than I am in the word "shodan" which is indeed somewhat arbitrary. I do however find it irritating that the rank after my name indicates that I only have a vague idea of what I'm talking about when it comes to go. I suppose that this has some justification, but as I said, it's not just about me. Lots of people try and fail to improve and find themselves stuck at a point often well below shodan, and I wonder why it is that they (we) can't seem to get a better handle on the game.

This post by daal was liked by: dfan

Post #29 Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:09 am 
Oza

Quote:
I do however find it irritating that the rank after my name indicates that I only have a vague idea of what I'm talking about when it comes to go. I suppose that this has some justification, but as I said, it's not just about me. Lots of people try and fail to improve and find themselves stuck at a point often well below shodan, and I wonder why it is that they (we) can't seem to get a better handle on the game.

I've long accepted you as a worthy co-commentator of the game, so don't worry about that kind of impact of your rank. As for your playing level, see my previous post.

If you still want to make a concerted effort to get there in a reasonable amount of time, you can count on us. I for one still am sure it is possible.

Post #30 Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:13 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 43
Was liked: 139
Quote:
Often this is because their level of play remains restricted by lack of fighting spirit

Except that there are people who fight when they shouldn't: unwarranted invasions and the like.

Post #31 Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:51 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 75
Was liked: 58
Fedya wrote:
Except that there are people who fight when they shouldn't: unwarranted invasions and the like.

When I play unwarranted invasions - as far as I can speak for me - it's not because of "too much fighting spirit". It is rather a sign of impatience and lazyness, i.e. I want getting a certain situation resolved as quickly as possible. Instead of seriously counting and thoroughly estimating the overall situation I play a do-or-die move and hope my opponent will play some sub-optimal continuation.

It feels similar to trying out a "good-looking" move in a Tsumego without having it fully read out.

I can see both symptoms in my play, they may be an important part of the reason why I'm still around 3-4k and not 1d...

This post by schawipp was liked by: daal

Post #32 Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:04 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
Knotwilg wrote:
Basically every player has two levels: your level of understanding and your level of play. The gap between those two is called frustration...

The gap gets bigger as we get older. This is why old men are grumpy.

This post by Joaz Banbeck was liked by 5 people: Bonobo, Marcus, mlund, Nyanjilla, Waylon

Post #33 Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:14 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 269
Was liked: 129
KGS: captslow
Online playing schedule: irregular and by appointment
Interesting question, interesting discussion.
May I give you a view from the bottom? I am a 'mere' 8k, far from shodan. I am not dan or shodan. I am not even sure I aspire to become one. I don't consider myself to be competent. In fact I have already accepted that I will never reach such a level. I just enjoy the game, the company of other players, the atmosphere at the club, etc.
Yet, in my area, go is not very well known and not much played. So, friends (yes, I have some, and go players can be friends with non go players) consider me to be an experienced or even competent go player (haha).
What I want to say is: like many things, (also) competence is relative.
I am less competent than others, but more competent than some.

Post #34 Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:39 pm 
Oza

Hi Daal

This is my latest game. Can you review it and tell me what moves you would never come up with if you had played this game?

Knotwilg

Post #35 Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:20 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I would not think of
The slide at :b13:. Looks passive, but it's probably good.
The knight's move at :w20:
The cut at :w52:, accepting being disconnected.
The descent at :w92:.
The attach at :w140:. What does this do?

Post #36 Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:08 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 16
Cool exercise! Hope you don't mind that I jump on it. I didn't apply much reading, but just noted some stuff that popped up for me in terms of "I'd not think about this" - so it isn't much of a review.

What strikes me the most is that you are much better at playing elsewhere and not stubbornly trying to save things you can instead give up for profit elsewhere (in addition to sharper and more accurate reading heh).

As for the question? I have pondered it myself - especially seeing those players with 1000+ games played and still DDK or high SDK. I think it relates to why you play? To me Go is the competition and the struggle to improve. But for several of those players I believe Go is relaxing after work, or just playing something during your commute - with rank improvement as a happy byproduct but by no means a thing to work actively towards.

Also I don't think Shodan is some lofty goal only a few can reach due to talent - but I do think it represents a rather high investment in time and effort to get there (certainly has for me and I'm nowhere close). Getting there is work, especially if you're not young and plastic (brainwise), so not everyone has the passion or the dedication to get there, even if they claim it as a goal.

Attachments:
testing.sgf [3.63 KiB]
Downloaded 843 times

Post #37 Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:58 pm 
Oza

I wouldn't have thought of any of the black moves from :b11: through :b17: I would have extended from the group at :b11: and jumped into the center at :b13: All of this crawling I wouldn't have considered. The effect however is something that makes sense - w doesn't have a base, so b will have something to attack. :b31: - I don't think I would have realized that the attack was over for now and would have jumped from those 2 black stones to prevent them from being captured in a net. :w32: I would have captured the two stones - but on second thought, it would have been unwise to leave r14 all alone up there. :w46: I wouldn't have thought of the leaning attack. :b64: I would have played at o14, trying to build something on the top. :b71: looks tempting, but I try to shy away from moves that only make territory - though it might revive the attack... :w72: looks big, but I would have taken the opportunity to capture the e11 stones. :w76: I wouldn't have though of. I would have haned on the other side. I wouldn't have thought of :w88: - I would be worried about weakening my already weak group on the side. :w90: not on my radar.

There is a lot more, but I'm tired now.

Post #38 Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:03 pm 
Oza

Hi guys, nice to see so many responses.

Most of your comments are absolutely right, which means your level of analysis is higher than my level of play.

- you all saw that my harrassing of the black group at the bottom was not severe enough and lost tempo, so that black could form a good moyo at the top
- while attempting to make a good invasion, I neglected my left side group, which came under severe attack and almost died

Three concepts or attitudes stand out as marking the gap (if any)

- leaning maneuvers
- assessing which stones are (not) important and should (not) be saved/attacked
- (shying away of) ko

Here's a more specific self review, addressing your questions

But first: what to learn from this exercise? I think that you all have dan level analysis but either lack the confidence or some more local prowess to live up to it in your games. I still advocate a diet of fighting spirit / time management / concentration to bring your playing level closer to your level of understanding, but definitely doing lots of tsumego increases confidence in your local power and the local power itself.

This post by Knotwilg was liked by: daal

Post #39 Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:44 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 43
Was liked: 139
I wouldn't have come up with:

:w12: I would have played at :w22: instead.
:w28: I don't see the point behind this move, and don't know which part of the board I'd play in. I'd probably extend from Q4.
:w46: I would have tried to connect Q4 and Q8, by playing something like R6.
I don't get the point of the sequence starting with :w52:

Post #40 Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:02 am 
Oza

John Fairbairn wrote:
The other glitch follows from that. If your goal is to become shodan (or pro, or whatever) you have a wrong, meaningless goal.

I want to come back on this one. I disagree: if your goal is to become KGS shodan, then this is a perfectly reasonable goal. We should not question your goals because it's these goals that motivate you.

What I question (and agree with most) is that you will become shodan just by following the classical path of improvement. You might or might not, and might go fast or slow. Instead of convincing you to replace your goal of becoming shodan with a more vague goal of becoming better at Go in a different way than measuring your results (but by pats on the back, or by self consciousness of your mastery of topics ...), I encourage you to achieve your goal and really pursue it by changing those things that matter most to get better results.

So you want to beat shodans 50% of the time. Why do you currently lose more often? What are the determining factors? Change those.

(I have my answer ready, as you know: it's fighting spirit, time management & concentration. But please develop an answer for yourself.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next