It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why do some people never reach shodan
Post #41 Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:29 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
Fedya wrote:
I wouldn't have come up with:

:w12: I would have played at :w22: instead.
:w28: I don't see the point behind this move, and don't know which part of the board I'd play in. I'd probably extend from Q4.
:w46: I would have tried to connect Q4 and Q8, by playing something like R6.
I don't get the point of the sequence starting with :w52:

W12 - my direction is correct but I think it should have been low. Black has tenuki'd here and must be punished for that.
W28 - it's a forcing move to prevent Black making shape, in sente. It's probably incidental
W46 - I think it's important to focus on lower left here. Connecting would result in a low territory or central influence, which is not the focus here.
W52 - it's a questionable sequence, mostly pointless I think

Post #42 Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:29 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Knotwilg wrote:
John Fairbairn wrote:
The other glitch follows from that. If your goal is to become shodan (or pro, or whatever) you have a wrong, meaningless goal.

I want to come back on this one. I disagree: if your goal is to become KGS shodan, then this is a perfectly reasonable goal. We should not question your goals because it's these goals that motivate you.

What I question (and agree with most) is that you will become shodan just by following the classical path of improvement. You might or might not, and might go fast or slow. Instead of convincing you to replace your goal of becoming shodan with a more vague goal of becoming better at Go in a different way than measuring your results (but by pats on the back, or by self consciousness of your mastery of topics ...), I encourage you to achieve your goal and really pursue it by changing those things that matter most to get better results.

So you want to beat shodans 50% of the time. Why do you currently lose more often? What are the determining factors? Change those.

(I have my answer ready, as you know: it's fighting spirit, time management & concentration. But please develop an answer for yourself.)

First of all, I never said that my goal was to reach shodan. What I think is that given my experience, it is very improbable that I could become strong enough to reach shodan (for example on KGS). Why? I make elementary reading mistakes, I lose concentration and I can't judge correctly what is a good outcome of a sequence. I have tried and tried to correct these problems. I do tsumego regularly. I don't dislike it, but I am very bad at it, and I don't feel that I am getting any better at it. I meditate to improve my concentration and frame of mind, and while it helps me accept my errors, it doesn't stop me from blundering. (yes, I guess time management is an element of blundering - not taking the time to count liberties and see if a cut is threatened has lost me many a game.) As to judgement of outcomes, I could probably use a teacher to tell me this is good and that is not. I don't seem to have been able to learn from the countless books I've read. It happens fairly often to me that I start out wanting outside influence, and wind up giving it to my opponent. So what I see is a bunch of deficits that I have not been able to correct. I suspect that getting a teacher could help with determining outcomes of sequences, but not with reading and not with concentration. I appreciate your confidence that fixing these errors is within my reach, but I don't share it, and one reason is that again, this is not just about me. I see countless other players in a similar situation. People who have started go later in life (mid 40's for me), are autodidactics, read poorly, and despite continued effort, hit a boundary well below shodan that they can't figure out how to overcome.

Post #43 Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:41 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4633
Quote:
I want to come back on this one. I disagree:

Eh? You seem to be agreeing completely.

Quote:
So you want to beat shodans 50% of the time. Why do you currently lose more often? What are the determining factors? Change those.

Shodan/pro (at least for those still distant from such status) is a wrong or meaningless target because it is nebulous, too large. It is a dream. It may motivate you but it's still a dream that doesn't tell you how to get there. Proper goals are clearly defined, small steps - incrementally changing the "determining factors" in your favour.

Quote:
fighting spirit, time management & concentration

But these are nor proper goals either. They may be determining factors but they say nothing about how to improve them. Holding your breath for a long time is a determining factor in free diving, but holding your breath for a long time is not a proper goal. Proper goals are holding your breath for 30 seconds, then 1 minute, then 2 minutes.

And a succession of small wins like that is quite possibly an even bigger motivator than a dream.

Post #44 Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:48 am 
Oza

daal wrote:
First of all, I never said that my goal was to reach shodan.

I thought it was: it seems like you'd want to have 1d next to your avatar, while discussing Go. Mind you, I don't loathe such goal at all.

daal wrote:
What I think is that given my experience, it is very improbable that I could become strong enough to reach shodan (for example on KGS). Why? I make elementary reading mistakes, I lose concentration and I can't judge correctly what is a good outcome of a sequence. I have tried and tried to correct these problems.

Okay, I can't argue with that. It's itching but I resist.

daal wrote:
I do tsumego regularly. I don't dislike it, but I am very bad at it, and I don't feel that I am getting any better at it.

Again, I'm convinced it should not be that way. There are fundamentals to even tsumego. If you apply the fundamentals, it will become easier because you have a structure to follow and will develop intuition in the process.

daal wrote:
I meditate to improve my concentration and frame of mind, and while it helps me accept my errors, it doesn't stop me from blundering.

I appreciate your confidence that fixing these errors is within my reach, but I don't share it, and one reason is that again, this is not just about me. I see countless other players in a similar situation. People who have started go later in life (mid 40's for me), are autodidactics, read poorly, and despite continued effort, hit a boundary well below shodan that they can't figure out how to overcome.

Surely starting late is a handicap. I'm experiencing such handicap in my current activity of table tennis. The youth is blasting past me because they have been properly trained when their brain was still malliable. When I get back after the holidays, it seems I'm back to square 1 and they magically progressed to square 100. It's frustrating. But I still think it is possible to reach "table tennis shodan".

One thing we elderly need to do is to consciously stop doing things and replace them with better habits, while the youth have the luxury of a blank canvas. The problem is that we cling to our bad habits, being afraid to let go of what has given us comfort. I had to change my grip on the bat. I can tell you, not easy to let go of that!

I'll leave it here for now. I do think you could use a coach. And I think concentration/reading is the first thing to fix (you say so yourself). It will require work (again) but it will pay off. Unless you accept that it won't be for you anymore and can live with your current rank. That's fine too.

Post #45 Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:52 am 
Oza

I will however show you my most recent game. It seems not untypical, and shows what kind of gaps we're dealing with.

Attachments:
example game1.sgf [5.35 KiB]
Downloaded 1482 times

Post #46 Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:52 am 
Oza

John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:
I want to come back on this one. I disagree:

Eh? You seem to be agreeing completely.

I thought you advocate we should have a topical goal, not a rank goal. I think a rank goal is very measurable, therefor very clear and motivating. There has been a consensus that people shouldn't care about rank but we all see people do, so perhaps we should accept that this is a goal.

John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:
fighting spirit, time management & concentration

But these are nor proper goals either. They may be determining factors but they say nothing about how to improve them. Holding your breath for a long time is a determining factor in free diving, but holding your breath for a long time is not a proper goal. Proper goals are holding your breath for 30 seconds, then 1 minute, then 2 minutes.

These are areas of improvement. I do have a program to train for those, but didn't want to go in that much detail.
They are usually underestimated compared to topical goals and I believe they determine whether your playing level is close to your level of understanding.

Thanks John!

Post #47 Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:22 am 
Oza

Correspond to my "dan instinct"

34: direction of play
46-62: consistent sequence, sacrifice
64: direction of play
84: boshi to attack
96-98: timing/sente (very nice!!!)

Do not correspond to my "dan instinct"

26: cuts that don't work (read/know)
40: greed / automatic play of double approach (?)
44: hurried/worried sabaki / greed
66: hurried/worried invasion / greed
68: wishful thinking of connection
72: standard is to sacrifice 2
104: empty triangle
118: weak connection
124: empty triangle

Missed opportunities that I see
(during analysis, but in the game?)

100: endgame starts or ... where's the weakest group

Outright blunders:

176: I see that this kind of move makes all the above irrelevant. If you make blunders like these regularly, then there is no point indeed in improving your knowledge.

I'd say: play the next 10 games with the SPECIFIC SINGLE goal of not making such blunders

1. generate awareness that we're beyond move 100 and liberties become scarce, and connections fragile.
2. count liberties of your chains regularly, especially those where a stone has been played
3. inspect connections regularly. Look at diagonal connections in particular, or other non-straight connections.

See how many of those games you could end without losing big chains/groups. Every such game is a success, regardless of end score. Give yourself a score, like 8/10. Then you know that you will continue to lose 20% of your games due to blunders. Unacceptable? Repeat.

Full review with variations

This post by Knotwilg was liked by 2 people: daal, dfan

Post #48 Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:34 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 94
Was liked: 53
GD Posts: 54
I was also looking at your game this morning but did not have a chance to post. As your game ended, white was behind by a lot (20+ points).

I have some ideas about why 176 happened. Correct me if I am wrong here :salute:

174 is an understandable error because the natural read here is that black will peep at J14. The cut that B used here (attach at H15 and push down) is a good tesuji for cutting and sometimes shows up in games so it's worth learning. With this in mind, W should probably play a bit more conservatively but still, losing a single stone is not a huge deal here.

However, the shining moment here is 176. As Knotwilg pointed out, it's a big blunder, but I suspect that it was probably fueled by strict adherence to whatever your original plan was in playing H16. I was watching a Meungwan-Kim lecture last night and he point out that all amateurs have this problem; we are unwilling to be flexible and abandon our plans when they go sour.

Instead of 176, if you connect below and let black cut the one stone, you get sente (make sure you don't lose it). With a string of endgame moves the game may become much closer (6-10 point difference?). Here's an example sequence:
1) making a triangle at S3 to threaten attack on the whole black group while taking the corner territory
2) the capture at E17
3) the push at R19 and
4) taking gote to block at B9

You might be able to pull off a win this way. At least, it explains why you are 20+ points behind in the actual game. Once you have sente in the endgame, try hard not to let it go until you get all of the big points.

Visit >>>Koosh's Study Journal<<<

This post by Koosh was liked by 2 people: daal, Knotwilg

Post #49 Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:37 pm 
Oza

Knotwilg wrote:
176: I see that this kind of move makes all the above irrelevant. If you make blunders like these regularly, then there is no point indeed in improving your knowledge.

I'd say: play the next 10 games with the SPECIFIC SINGLE goal of not making such blunders

1. generate awareness that we're beyond move 100 and liberties become scarce, and connections fragile.
2. count liberties of your chains regularly, especially those where a stone has been played
3. inspect connections regularly. Look at diagonal connections in particular, or other non-straight connections.
Sounds like a plan. Thanks for that detailed review.

Koosh wrote:
However, the shining moment here is 176. As Knotwilg pointed out, it's a big blunder, but I suspect that it was probably fueled by strict adherence to whatever your original plan was in playing H16. I was watching a Meungwan-Kim lecture last night and he point out that all amateurs have this problem; we are unwilling to be flexible and abandon our plans when they go sour.
Yes, this is pretty much what happened.
Quote:
Instead of 176, if you connect below and let black cut the one stone, you get sente (make sure you don't lose it). With a string of endgame moves the game may become much closer (6-10 point difference?). Here's an example sequence:
1) making a triangle at S3 to threaten attack on the whole black group while taking the corner territory
2) the capture at E17
3) the push at R19 and
4) taking gote to block at B9

You might be able to pull off a win this way. At least, it explains why you are 20+ points behind in the actual game. Once you have sente in the endgame, try hard not to let it go until you get all of the big points.
Thinking about sente and trying to keep it is something I don't do enough. Thanks for mentioning it and showing the example sequence.

Post #50 Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:50 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
It seems to me that your play demonstrates competence. :)

A few comments on your last game.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: daal

Post #51 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:10 am 
Oza

As I've said before, one of the major assets of a dan player is fighting spirit.

I'm posting a Tygem 3d game of mine, which shows fighting spirit by both.

I believe I came back from a somewhat unfavorable opening to a situation where I had more territory. In the middle game, Black played poor shapes but I got overly confident and he counterattacked well. I managed to live with all groups but the opponent slowly converted his thickness into territory, almost equalling mine. During the endgame there was a lot of fighting spirit, answering sente by sente. In the end, I kept focus and killed a group, thanks to my improved life & death skills, but mostly because I kept trying to win the game.

Here it is (particularly look at 196 - 205):

Post #52 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:51 am 
Oza

Quote:
During the endgame there was a lot of fighting spirit, answering sente by sente.

I'm guessing you may be using 'fighting spirit' for kiai. If that's the case, not entirely sure from this sentence that you've grasped what it means. In go, if you have some weak but key stones and your opponent puts them in atari and you sink into thought about connecting, you can say you have bad kiai. Good kiai would involve answering sente with gote at once, i.e. showing you are prepared to tough it out.

Although kiai means a yell, ultimately it's from martial arts and is about matching your opponent's ki (spirit; Chinese qi) with your own. In both martial arts and go that often means matching a strong attack with a tenacious or stubborn defence. It simply means you don't let your opponent overwhelm you, physically or psychologically. It's not necessarily about showing aggression. Western go is too uncontrolledly aggressive already without encouraging it more.

Quote:
In the end, I kept focus and killed a group

Focus might be a more appropriate word than 'fighting spirit'. Athletes seem to use it a lot. Myself, I like tenacity. Either way, even if it's not entirely accurate as a translation, I think focus or tenacity is a much more useful attribute than fighting spirit.

Having said that, I infer from your other comments that you have grasped the most important elements anyway.

Post #53 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:22 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:
During the endgame there was a lot of fighting spirit, answering sente by sente.

I'm guessing you may be using 'fighting spirit' for kiai. If that's the case, not entirely sure from this sentence that you've grasped what it means. In go, if you have some weak but key stones and your opponent puts them in atari and you sink into thought about connecting, you can say you have bad kiai. Good kiai would involve answering sente with gote at once, i.e. showing you are prepared to tough it out.

Are you trying to say that answering your opponent's moves in the endgame rather than considering tenuki is "good kiai"?

Post #54 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:30 am 
Oza

Kirby wrote:
John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:

Are you trying to say that answering your opponent's moves in the endgame rather than considering tenuki is "good kiai"?

Obviously not. What are you trying to say?

Post #55 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:44 am 
Oza

Quote:
if you have some weak but key stones

You assume I'm referring to the endgame? Really?

I'm not sure what knowilg meant which is why I said "not entirely sure". And I'm not sure either that I'd class the endgame plays he refers to as kiai (too trivial?).

My point is that too many people assume kiai is all flailing arms and naked aggression, which in go manifests itself often as tenuki and ignoring sente. Instead it should be about not allowing yourself to be overwhelmed - focus. That may end up with a decision to tenuki, but it should be for the reason of matching the opponent's ki appropriately, not just to show machismo.

Post #56 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:02 am 
Honinbo

daal wrote:

Obviously not. What are you trying to say?

I'm trying to say that the quote was in reference to the endgame, so we should take it in that context:

Quote:

Post #57 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:03 am 
Honinbo

John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:
if you have some weak but key stones

You assume I'm referring to the endgame? Really?

No, I thought *he* was referring to the endgame:

Quote:

So why criticize his use of the term "fighting spirit", if your point about answering the opponent is not related to the context of his comment?

FWIW, he didn't even mention "kiai", specifically, and I see no problem in saying that tenuki to play sente during the endgame is good "fighting spirit".

I guess your point is that one shouldn't ignore sente just to take sente and be macho, but I didn't get that from his comment. Amateurs often have the opposite problem in the endgame and just answer everywhere. So ignoring a local endgame threat to take another big point can very well be fighting spirit in many cases.

Seems to me that this is all he was trying to express.

Post #58 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:41 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 94
Was liked: 53
GD Posts: 54
A relevant quote from a 5d youtuber:
Quote:
Actively follow the game by asking yourself the following: Is my opponent's move a bad move? Is it even sente?

Here's another relevant quote from a 1d board member (me - full disclosure):
Quote:
When you reach dan level, more often than not your opponent's moves are aiming at something. Try not to dismiss any move as being meaningless unless you are 100% sure that it was a mistake and even so proceed with caution.

Navigating the differences between the two ideas is tough. Your decisions certainly depend on whether or not you are relying on the definition of kiai, or on the western definition of fighting spirit.

They don't appear to be synonymous (John's point), which is allowed (Kirby's point), and both can be seen in abundance in dan player games (Knotwilg's point), implying that both are key skills that one needs to reach shodan (returning to daal's topic).

I still think its a pointed topic. :mrgreen:

Visit >>>Koosh's Study Journal<<<

This post by Koosh was liked by 2 people: daal, Kirby

Post #59 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:47 am 
Oza

Quote:
FWIW, he didn't even mention "kiai", specifically...

Which is whey I said:
Quote:
I'm guessing you may be using 'fighting spirit' for kiai
. Reading is very important in go, in more ways than one.

Quote:
...I see no problem in saying that tenuki to play sente during the endgame is good "fighting spirit".

But from long experience (much longer than yours) I do see a problem. I was trying to address it, in the same way I have tediously tried (with others) to refine perceptions of things like thickness, aji, honte, etc over the years. Refine is the operative word, incidentally. Seems like it's not worth the effort, though, if you end up as troll bait.

Post subject:
Post #60 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:51 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Quote:
Actively follow the game by asking yourself the following: Is my opponent's move a bad move? Is it even sente?
Robert has a very nice and IMO powerful mnemonic for all this, and he captured the essence in just one verb.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next