It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are the fundamentals?
Post #61 Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:32 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 793
"How do I remember to apply what I already know?": This is insufficient. Although everybody knows much more than he recalls immediately, by far the most players do not have a comprehensive knowledge of the fundamentals. Acquiring it from scratch requires VERY much study. Nowadays (in contrast to 10 years ago), it is possible to acquire it from sources.

Minue's "stability": strength is a more appropriate word for what he describes.

"Lists": Again: I did not only use lists but also structure, methods, examples, comments etc. Formalised annotation of contents is related to density of information. A book conveying 10 major ideas can use one chapter per idea - a book containing 200 major ideas needs some kind of dense presentation. Alternatively, the contents would be distributed over 20 books. This is not about being or not being dry but about having thin or dense contents. Maybe you, John, consider texts with as little contents as possible the ideal. I prefer texts with enough contents to learn a lot about a topic so that one must not, after reading the text, read 19 further texts on the same topic. Of course, I do not go to your ideal.

Post #62 Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:36 am 
Judan

Pio2001 wrote:
If we add the 1500 pages of Elementary Go Series with

This series is not "the fundamentals above absolute beginner level". The series covers only a small part and overlooks most. Just a number of pages does not provide completeness.

Post #63 Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:27 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
RobertJasiek wrote:
"How do I remember to apply what I already know?": This is insufficient.

Yes. You also have to apply what you do not know. Consciously, that is. :D

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: Waylon

Post #64 Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:32 am 
Honinbo

John Fairbairn wrote:
Obviously I can strictly only offer my own view, but in journalism we have a saying, "Lists make bad journalism." Whenever a journalist got himself into a bind and up against a deadline to write a feature, if he resorted to an article of the type "Ten Reasons Why ..." or "Ten Best ..." laughter and scorn would ring round the newsroom all day long. The point there is that journalists have learned from very long experience that their readers don't really like lists.

The culture has changed, John. Those phrases are clickbait now. :(

Edit: I agree that it's bad journalism. But not because readers don't like it. :roll:

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #65 Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:09 am 
Judan

Bill Spight wrote:
Yes. You also have to apply what you do not know. Consciously

Exactly, and therefore you have to learn / discover this knowledge.

Post #66 Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:02 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4634
Quote:
The culture has changed, John. Those phrases are clickbait now.

Edit: I agree that it's bad journalism. But not because readers don't like it.

Well, if you want to talk about dumbing down, I suppose a thread on fundamentals might seem like one possible rubbish bin, but I hope for higher standards, not least among go players.

I know I'm a different generation from the inveterate clickers who can rotate their thumbs 360 degrees around the top knuckle (Darwinian evolution in action?), but actually, by staying away from social media (which is not journalism), I find the world still seems a decently sane place. I say that even with your presidential election looming. Being overseas last week, I was able to watch CNN, and see there are some American journalists still keeping standards up. Most with grey hair or crow's feet, admittedly...

Post #67 Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:43 am 
Honinbo

RobertJasiek wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
Yes. You also have to apply what you do not know. Consciously

Exactly, and therefore you have to learn / discover this knowledge.

Right. Books are good for conscious learning. To learn unconsciously, the tried and true way is to play against stronger players. :D

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #68 Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:48 am 
Honinbo

John Fairbairn wrote:
but actually, by staying away from social media (which is not journalism), I find the world still seems a decently sane place.

Projection, John, projection. ;)

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #69 Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:50 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:
I will here summarize the teachings of Minue, in a few posts. If that body of knowledge remains ignored, I will at least have attempted to bring it to the attention:

Since you seem perplexed at the lack of reaction, I will offer a view. Lists.

Obviously I can strictly only offer my own view, but in journalism we have a saying, "Lists make bad journalism."

Minue's list presentation offers a "tutorial". What we get is a reference list. If you went for a tutorial with a professor, would you really expect him to spend the time just giving you a list of things?

Did you read the article or only my summary of it? I think Minue's tutorial is far above the 'ten ways to ...' level you refer to. I at least found it extremely thorough piece of pedagogy (rather than journalism).

Quote:

The way to promote Minue's work, therefore, would be to rewrite it. Then it may get the attention you (probably rightly) believe it deserves.

That's just my opinion - not something to fight about.

Well, I still want to answer :) I think you're right: it deserves to be rewritten, if only for the fact that Minue is not a native English speaker. And though I disagree on it being list-centered (or perhaps disagree on the extent to which lists are detrimental) I do agree it is somewhat dry in its presentation.

Thanks for the answer!

Post #70 Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:02 pm 
Oza

In the second part of chapter 1, Minue highlights one fundamental principle.

Quote:
In Go, all stones want to develop along straight lines if possible. When they are aligned in straight lines, they are stronger and more powerful than stones aligned in diagonal lines.

(...)

This is a very fundamental and important principle in haeng-ma, so I will provide more specific explanations and examples about this principle over and over again in later chapters.

Then comes the second chapter, about "positions of single stones", which is a step up towards haengma. He starts by restating the goal of the game:

Quote:
Go is not a game of making territory, but a game of survival of stones

For me this is the most important fundamental, which we amateurs should repeat over and over to ourselves in order to get rid of the flawed mental immage of "making territory" as "surrounding empty space".

After that paragraph, Minue comes up with two more principles

Quote:
To build territory, wider areas are better than small ones

He somewhat jestingly suggests that the centre would hence come before the sides and the corners. But since the game is about survival of stones, it is the other way around:

Quote:
For survival, corners are better than sides, sides are better than the center

This throws a surprising light on the well known principle "corners, sides, centre": it is not because territory is more easily surrounded, but because life (eyes) are more easily secured. Deep down it's the same thing but the perspective is different.

This post by Knotwilg was liked by: Bonobo

Post #71 Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:21 pm 
Oza

Quote:
Did you read the article or only my summary of it? I think Minue's tutorial is far above the 'ten ways to ...' level you refer to. I at least found it extremely thorough piece of pedagogy (rather than journalism).

I have tried to read it in the past, but anything that includes a structure like 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 .. makes my eyes glaze over. You have to capture your audience before you can educate them.

It may be a "thorough piece of pedagogy" but that means precisely that it is a reference work. It may be great as something to mine for presenting the jewels in a tutorial, but it is not a tutorial as it stands (unless you are likewise a 1.2, 1.3 kind of person, perhaps).

Go is an elective hobby, not a compulsory school subject. People with choice will mostly choose entertainment (good writing) over "pedagogy" (lists).

I'm not sure that pedagogy is the appropriate word here anyway. It's not a subject I'm really familiar with, but I would imagine it covers the practice of teaching, and that must surely include the best ways of getting information from teacher to pupil.

People like Robert may prefer massive data dumps but I for one have never come across many people like that. And in any case, just because he wants that doesn't mean everyone else does. More importantly, I even think that pedagogically data dumps/list/etc can be dangerous. It like sucking up snot. You can't stop in the middle and digest bits of it. That means that what is at the start of the list (the fundamentals) gets passed over quickly and soon gets submerged and forgotten. The traditional method of going over just a few things at a time from various angles with lots of examples is universal for good reason. Reference books stay on the library shelves for good reason - people mostly borrow less dense text books. Both types of books are valuable, but which is best for pupils learning the fundamentals?

Post #72 Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:25 pm 
Honinbo

In This 'n' that I have been exploring the idea of a base, one of the oldest opening concepts in go, and certainly one of the fundamentals of the opening. See viewtopic.php?p=211817#p211817 and following notes. :) I am responding to Knotwilg with that in mind.

Knotwilg wrote:
Then comes the second chapter, about "positions of single stones", which is a step up towards haengma. {Minue} starts by restating the goal of the game:

Minue wrote:
Go is not a game of making territory, but a game of survival of stones

For me this is the most important fundamental, which we amateurs should repeat over and over to ourselves in order to get rid of the flawed mental immage of "making territory" as "surrounding empty space".

A base is mainly about the survival of stones, but is a bit more general, as a player may allow a base to be divided, or even sacrificed.

Knotwilg wrote:

Minue wrote:
For survival, corners are better than sides, sides are better than the center

This throws a surprising light on the well known principle "corners, sides, centre": it is not because territory is more easily surrounded, but because life (eyes) are more easily secured. Deep down it's the same thing but the perspective is different.

Takagawa makes the point that corners, sides, center is about making a base. :D

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #73 Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:56 pm 
Judan

John Fairbairn wrote:
People like Robert may prefer massive data dumps [...]

These days I am too busy with teaching and writing to reply to every data dump meta-discussion.

This post by RobertJasiek was liked by: Knotwilg

Post #74 Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:02 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
I would think that journalism has various rhetoric, and preferred style depends on the audience. If I don't have time to read a long article, I like lists - they quickly establish key points. On the other hand, if I'm looking to just enjoy reading a long article, I can see how lists might come off as too dry.

Either way, I don't think Minue is that active in maintaining his tutorial now, so we'll have to make due with what's out there to get value from it. Maybe someone could rewrite it if they'd like. I don't personally see it as that hard to read, though, the content is a little boring to me.

Knotwilg wrote:
After that paragraph, Minue comes up with two more principles

Quote:

He somewhat jestingly suggests that the centre would hence come before the sides and the corners.

Wider areas are better than small ones, but they take more moves to complete. Maybe I'm missing the point, but I'm not completely bought on this principle.

Post #75 Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:26 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 83
KGS: Pio2001
Knotwilg wrote:

Quote:

He somewhat jestingly suggests that the centre would hence come before the sides and the corners.

...Don't forget that the centre is smaller that the sides and corners (169 intersections only vs 192).

Post #76 Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:46 am 
Judan

But what does this tell us? Center strategies are possible. One just should not play all moves 5th line and higher. All this box counting is trivia of people not knowing how to teach fundamentals well. The relevant fundamental concept is: make positional judgements. Then judge whether to build a center moyo.

Post #77 Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:44 pm 
Oza

In his 3rd installment, Minue discusses 4 basic moves:

- the iron pillar or stretch (nobi)
Quote:
An iron pillar move makes solid and unconditional connection of stones. So there are no ways for white to cut them. Solidness is its merit.
The demerits of "iron pillar" are its slow speed for advancing, and lack of flexibility.

- the one space jump (ikken tobi)
Quote:
Compared to an iron pillar move, the one space jump has its own (obvious) merit. It is faster than the iron pillar for development of stones. Analogically speaking, if this one space move is like "walking", then the iron pillar move can be said to be like "crawling".

This comparison preludes a later elaboration about efficiciency of stones (good shape) or its antipode, overconcentration (bad shape). In isolation, the one space jump is obviously more efficent than the iron pillar.

- the diagonal move (kosumi)

Quote:
A little exaggerating and oversimplifying, it can be said that "stones which flow on diagonal lines are against the nature of their world".

Therefore, Minue states that diagonal moves are mostly used in specific circumstances:
Quote:
- Diagonal moves are often used in "knight's position of 2 colors" and very useful in obtaining a higher position in that case.
- Diagonal moves are closely related to "knight's move", and they are often used together in local positions.

- the knight's move (keima)

Quote:
- With respect to "development of stones" this is the most efficient way among all 4 basic Haeng-Ma tools.
- But, for stability of stones, Knight's move is the worst tool for us. (Connectivity of stones is one of the main factors, which is relevant to stability of stones)

Overall, he discusses their virtues and weaknesses in terms of development and stability, using the foundations he laid out in the first installments.

http://senseis.xmp.net/?HaengmaTutorial ... gPositions

Post #78 Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:53 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 39
Was liked: 30
OGS: Wulfenia
Knotwilg wrote:
So far, nobody has replied to my post about Minue's "Haengma tutorial for beginners",

I didn't reply, but due to your post, I have read the tutorial in its entirety, found it useful, but not extremely useful due to the already known status of some of the information and the lack of more examples "in later chapters" which are not forthcoming.

I like it a lot, and I think that the list-objection is really silly. The numbers just label the different sections. I am certainly against someone rewriting it who just dislikes the style on principle. I think that it is rather depressing that the discussion here is whether numbering the sections of a tutorial is a bad "list-style" and whether "stability" should be called "strength".

One thing is clear: This tutorial does not cover the fundamentals in any meaningful way that are referred to by people who say in reviews "just learn the fundamentals". Knowing the things in Minue's tutorial will not help a lot. If the tutorial had be continued, this might be different.

I also think that Joe has a good point: In the instruction "just learn the fundamentals", it is not only the word "fundamentals" which is problematic. Yes, I know that it is a bad idea to self-atari, have I learned it?

Post #79 Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:26 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 39
Was liked: 30
OGS: Wulfenia
Pio2001 wrote:
Knotwilg wrote:

Quote:

...Don't forget that the centre is smaller that the sides and corners (169 intersections only vs 192).

That is not really true if a player consistently cedes the center (because the side player cannot truly get what you count for sides and corners).

Point in case:
http://www.lifein19x19.com/forum/viewto ... =18&t=3024

in particular, see the game in
http://www.lifein19x19.com/forum/viewto ... 904#p49904

Post #80 Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:37 am 
Oza

Quote:
- the iron pillar or stretch (nobi)

Quote:

An iron pillar move makes solid and unconditional connection of stones. So there are no ways for white to cut them. Solidness is its merit.
The demerits of "iron pillar" are its slow speed for advancing, and lack of flexibility.

This seems bad/wrong for a reference site. An iron pillar is not a nobi and vice versa. An iron pillar is not played with any intention of advancing or being flexible. Its purpose is precisely to close down the action, so the demerits mentioned can hardly be called demerits.

The merits/demerits can, however, be applied to nobi, but then you also have to distinguish narabi, sagari and other variants.

The differences between the named forms are actually at the heart of understanding the fundamentals of shape.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next