It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Would You Be Interested in a Large International Tournament?
Post #1 Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:43 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Hello everyone! I represent a small group of people that have a dream to host the largest international Go Event in the U.S. in order to garner interest in the game here and in other countries. The idea is to do this through a crowdfunding campaign to raise a prize pool large enough to get players interested from all around the world. However, before we move forward with any thoughts of crowdfunding and finding support from national and/or international organizations, we would like to see if there is enough interest for this kind of tournament in the go community. So, I've created a simple straw poll to just get a general consensus of how many would be interested in this sort of event and to see if it's even worth starting. So please, answer the poll with honesty and if you have the ability, share it with others so that we may have a broad range of answers to know whether or not to move forward with this ambitious idea. Thanks for the read and here's the strawpoll!

https://strawpoll.com/4kaysyde

Post subject: Re: Would You Be Interested in a Large International Tournam
Post #2 Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:48 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
For what kind of players? Pros? Amateurs? Are we talking something like Ing/Samsung/Bailing cup with world top pros? Or something like a US Go Congress? Or WAGC/KPMC type thing with 1 player from each country, or maybe a student tournament like recent Ing-sponsored World Collegiate Weiqi Championship?

And after that I still don't know how to vote. Does "Are you interested ..." mean:
- "Would I watch the broadcast games and chat about them here?" Yes
- "Would I pay £10 to a crowdfunding effort?" Maybe, if I think you have a realistic hope of organising it and aren't just going to run away with my money.
- "Would I pay £500 because that's what we need to get Ke Jie and co. to turn up with big prizes, pay for flights, venue, organising costs etc?" No

This post by Uberdude was liked by: Charlie

Post #3 Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:11 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 126
I echo Uberdude's questions. Most significantly, would this be a tournament for amateurs, like a Go Congress? If not, I really wouldn't be interested at all. My interest would be in participation.

If it is a Go Congress, what will distinguish it from the existing EGC and USGC events, both of which can and are freely attended by players from other countries?

Also, would you plan to hold this in the USA? If so, that would rule out my participation in the current environment and probably rule out a significantly large portion of the world's nationalities on logistical issues alone. If you mean it to be "International", I'd suggest that you host it elsewhere. (I will resist the temptation to elaborate, further, because discussion of politics is banned on these forums.)

Post #4 Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:41 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
Wouldn't it be better to have a poll that says "Would you like to pay money into the prizepool of our tournament?"?

This post by Javaness2 was liked by: richardamullens