Post #21 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:24 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 2
KGS: mayweed
topazg wrote:
kirkmc wrote:
tj86430 wrote:
How is that done? I mean, how do they know if someone is from Japan or not? IP-address is not a reliable measure.

Yes, they are, actually.

Basically, and simplified for clarity, IP blocks are assigned to countries, whose ISPs assign blocks to residential and commercial use, of which at any point a user connects he will be given one. There are plenty of cases where you can't tell so easily whereabouts the user is precisely (even with trace routes, although you can normally track down the nearest ISP exchange), but I'm not aware of cases where the same IP can source from more than one country.

The main exception as always is proxy-ing, but I suspect there aren't many Japanese IGS players getting their games for free via this method.

If I follow you right, you're telling that IGS crew is filtering access to the IGS servers for japanese only? In that the case, may I ask you why only japanese are concerned? That strange a policy : it's free or not. So if it's free it is, if it's not everbody should pay to play...That a software company proposed a non-free software for Japanese why not but filtering IP is a bit tricky...

It could explain one thing in fact: I play quite often on IGS and recently I notice that a lot of japanese players are asking questions about KGS ("you EU so KGS???"). I haven't been banned for that (yet!).

Post subject: Re: Sharp rise in go popularity in Japan
Post #22 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:42 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 193
Was liked: 83
GD Posts: 56
KGS: hopjesvla
There is nothing intrinsically wrong about filtering IP addresses. It is common practice, for instance, in the case of internet broadcasts of sports events (ie. from the Netherlands, I cannot watch the footage from the BBC website). It is completely up to IGS/Pandanet to determine their business model. No law is being violated, and users are free to avoid their service if they want to. It also seems this business model has been making them plenty of money for a while, so why would they change it?

When in doubt, play the most aggressive move

Post #23 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:52 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 2
KGS: mayweed
gaius wrote:
There is nothing intrinsically wrong about filtering IP addresses. It is common practice, for instance, in the case of internet broadcasts of sports events (ie. from the Netherlands, I cannot watch the footage from the BBC website). It is completely up to IGS/Pandanet to determine their business model. No law is being violated, and users are free to avoid their service if they want to. It also seems this business model has been making them plenty of money for a while, so why would they change it?

I understand your point of view, I'm simply a little disappointed because I thought IGS was a free server, first, and second I do not find that fair for japanese ppl...If I take your example: you're dutch, I'm french; both of us cant watch BBC footage ( :cry: ).Whereas one of us could go free on a go server while a japanese couldn't...I just tought it's quite unfair and not thorough but this just my point :)

Post #24 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:02 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 204
gaius wrote:

I'm fine with IGS charging money, it's just sad how people pay it to play there instead of playing for free on a better server. And the actions of IGS admins, known for banning people for mentioning other servers, are dishonest and morally wrong. It's hard to approve of any business model that relies on the clients' ignorance and actively cultivates it.

This post by palapiku was liked by: tj86430

Post #25 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:21 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 13
KGS: ZeroKun
kirkmc wrote:
John Fairbairn wrote:

The increase is attributed to the internet, naturally enough. As to why there was a sudden increase in 2009, the methodology of the survey may play a factor but I suspect it was because that was the year when many Japanese discovered you could play go online for free - many in Korea, some in USA/Europe. There had been an effective monopoly before then.

Was it IGS that was a monopoly? I always understood that they were "big in Japan," but were they that big that free servers weren't known?

To be honest, though, I've noticed an increase in Japanese players on KGS in the past year or so.

Surprisingly enough IGS had nothing to do with this, but Yahoo Games of Japan recently stopped providing Go or games all together from what the japanese KGS admins have said. We did get quite a number of new people which is awesome.

Post #26 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:36 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 65
GD Posts: 29
I think there are dozens of go servers in Japan you never heard of. Pandanet is one of the go servers available there.

I guess you (the speculative minds) didn't look at the numbers too closely: How many million of Japanese go players have we got in KGS?

Cheers,
Vesa

Post #27 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:18 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 41
Vesa wrote:
I think there are dozens of go servers in Japan you never heard of. Pandanet is one of the go servers available there.

I guess you (the speculative minds) didn't look at the numbers too closely: How many million of Japanese go players have we got in KGS?

Cheers,
Vesa

5 million? :scratch:

Seriously though, going back to an earlier question was there any change in the counting method?

Post #28 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:49 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I cannot approve of banning people who mention other servers, but I'm agnostic on the decision to charge only Japanese players.

Their reasoning is that they presumably thought they must charge to stay in business. A debatable assumption of course, but not insane. In that case, what is really going on is that they are subsidizing Go outside of Asia (Japan?) by giving a special offer to people in Europe and so on. I am not 100% sure, but I seem to recall hearing that promoting Go was the rationale.

Note that when the Nihon Ki-in sends pros to non-Asian countries to lecture or compete, they are taking money out of the hands of their own players and giving us a benefit. Or again, colleges do much the same by providing financial aid for some at the expense of higher fees for others. Of course helping people of lesser means go to college seems more morally significant than letting people play Go for free.

P.S. I believe pandanet is IGS. senseis.xmp.net/?IGS

Post #29 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:02 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 23
How much do you need to pay for playing on IGS in Japan?

Post #30 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:26 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
Javaness wrote:

Seriously though, going back to an earlier question was there any change in the counting method?

They're using Chinese counting now.

This post by kirkmc was liked by: Javaness

Post #31 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:33 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
kokomi wrote:

Information is here.

https://sec.pandanet.co.jp/asp/panda/register.asp

Quick summary, by the game you can pay 262 yen. 2100 yen per month for unlimited. You can also pay by the year.

Post #32 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:39 pm 
Tengen

oren wrote:
kokomi wrote:

Information is here.

Quick summary, by the game you can pay 262 yen. 2100 yen per month for unlimited. You can also pay by the year.

:shock: I don't think that business model will last...

Post #33 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:44 pm 
Lives in gote

oren wrote:
kokomi wrote:

Information is here.

thanks, what can you buy with 2100 yen in Japan? say how many lunch bento boxes? A dinner at a restaurant?

Post #34 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:54 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 12
Between 6 and 10 big macs? :)

Last edited by schilds on Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #35 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:59 pm 
Lives in gote

:roll:
quite expensive. Maybe cheaper than playing in a local club, i guess. I would not pay 8 bigmacs per month for playing on line :lol:

Post #36 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:08 pm 
Lives in sente

I think it's more than just playing - I think they also have pro games simulcast on the server.

Post #37 Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:13 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 34
GD Posts: 24
kirkmc wrote:
I think it's more than just playing - I think they also have pro games simulcast on the server.

Very few.

"Those who calculate greatly will win; those who calculate only a little will lose, but what of those who don't make any calculations at all!? This is why everything must be calculated, in order to foresee victory and defeat."-The Art of War

Post #38 Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:39 am 
Lives in sente

nagano wrote:
kirkmc wrote:

Very few.

I know they used to have more; at least I recall seeing, in past years, mentions of pro games that were broadcast with comments. They no longer do that?

Post #39 Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:42 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
The Nihon Kiin used to have an arrangement with IGS to broadcast title matches in real time. That ended some years ago and now the Nihon Kiin uses a different server (Cyberoro?).

Post #40 Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:01 am 
Tengen

A majority of the top seven title matches are broadcast, but I recall no commentary. The website lists the Meijin, Honinbo, Kisei, Tengen and Judan. The Kansai Kiin are even more devoted--they seem to broadcast several preliminary rounds of the Kansai first place tournament.

As far as I'm aware, no international tournaments are ever relayed.