Post #1 Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:04 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 30
KGS: cdpruitt
Tygem: TurkeyClub
Kaya handle: TurkeyClub
Hi 19x19ers,

This is Cole Pruitt from The Surrounding Game documentary - I wanted to make another general community announcement about the film to any folks interested.

First: we've hired an editor, Richard Miron, to start working full-time on the first rough cut of the film! This is one of the biggest steps we've taken so far, and will have a really big impact on the final product. He'll be working directly with Will in NYC into next year to iron out the 'first draft', at which point we'll screen the work-in-progress to get feedback from people all throughout the Go and non-Go communities.

Also, based on feedback from you, we've consolidated our web offerings and information into a monthly newsletter, complete with new footage, stills, a game commentary of the collaborative game on our site (courtesy of KGS 8dan zyoda), and other goodies. You can subscribe to the newsletter on the website (and get updates on the status of the film as we march forward).

And lastly, we wanted to reach out again to the lifein19x19 community just to hear any thoughts/questions/concerns/suggestions you have related to the project - this is a film by and for the Go community so we want to be as transparent and inclusive as possible.

Thanks for your input and support!

Cole (and the Surrounding Game team)

This post by cdpruitt was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, TheBigH

Post subject: Re: PSA about the Surrounding Game documentary
Post #2 Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:44 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 142
Was liked: 437
GD Posts: 9
I'd like a tight cut aimed at the general and non-go player audience. Then I'd like an extended cut aimed more at the go fans. And finally a 'making of' video, and as much additional/full interviews and footage that will fit into the bonus sections.

This post by logan was liked by 5 people: Boidhre, Bonobo, DalekSnare, Kanin, Monadology

Post #3 Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:35 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 199
Was liked: 76
Nice to see the project continuing at a good pace. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Post #4 Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:23 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 246
Was liked: 79
KGS: Krill
OGS: Krill
logan wrote:
I'd like a tight cut aimed at the general and non-go player audience. Then I'd like an extended cut aimed more at the go fans. And finally a 'making of' video, and as much additional/full interviews and footage that will fit into the bonus sections.

While recognizing that this may not be feasible as a suggestion, I'd like to second this.

This post by Monadology was liked by: Bonobo

Post #5 Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:30 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Monadology wrote:
logan wrote:

While recognizing that this may not be feasible as a suggestion, I'd like to second this.

Thirded again ;-)

Post #6 Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:52 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 81
KGS: FanXiping
OGS: slashpine
I saw the extended trailer and loved it! The documentary cannot be released sooner. However, this is only a beginning.

I think a Hollywood film, or something like it, that presents Go as a profound game to which everyone can relate - as opposed to presenting it as just another intellectual pursuit or a cameo - would do more to help popularize the game, at least in the States. I was thinking of a film with a plot where, let's say, a Japanese drug chemist running from the Yakuza has to go into hiding in an inner city neighborhood in a major US city. His experience with Go not only helps him survive in such a place, but also helps other characters along the way. How it ends? I'll leave it up to your imagination.

Or, to touch upon something more relevant, we can revisit Christian Duguay's film The Art of War. Go is a game in which Sun Tzu's strategies are demonstrated on a regular basis. I don't think it's a good time for a remake of that film, but one can draw inspiration from it to create another film which uses Go to expose the principles mentioned in the 兵法 . The possibility of a military conflict - however remote - between China and Japan is a hot topic in 2013 and beyond, so this might be a good theme for the film in question. The plot can center on a a US diplomat working to protect US interests in the Far East before a China-Japan conflict compromises them. During the crisis, he comes to understand the underlying causes of the conflict through the prism of Go. I have a feeling that such a film might end up looking something like Stephen Gaghan's Syriana.

This topic can go on for days.

Although the budget does not exist at the moment for a Go-themed Hollywood film or the like, this might be one of the catalysts for wider public awareness of Go in North America.

------------------------------
Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win.
- Ō-sensei Ueshiba

Post #7 Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:32 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 38
Was liked: 35
Another documentary on a nerdy topic was recently released: It is called I Dream of Wires and is about modular synthesizers.

They released a 'Hardcore Edition' for the real fans, 4 hours long, purchased through Kickstarter I believe. Then they released a tighter cut for the more general viewer.

Maybe of interest.

Post #8 Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:27 pm 
Lives in gote

Koroviev wrote:
Another documentary on a nerdy topic was recently released: It is called I Dream of Wires and is about modular synthesizers.

They released a 'Hardcore Edition' for the real fans, 4 hours long, purchased through Kickstarter I believe. Then they released a tighter cut for the more general viewer.

Maybe of interest.
The team can get some production ideas from that. Produce something deep and informative for hardcore Go fans and something "superficial", yet catchy for casual observers. In the latter, the casual observer's interest in the game will be stimulated. The extended cut should not be too difficult to produce, but the tight cut has to be able to convey a lot of undeniably relevant information in a short length of time. Since Go is not yet widely known in North American or Western culture, this may be somewhat challenging.

In any trailer meant for casual observers Go will have to be linked with other things already present in these. Anyone care for a link between Go and martial arts? Or Go and business? It might even be possible to draw parallels between - wait for it - Go and love!

Post #9 Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:02 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
I would prefer the filmmakers to exercise their own artistic judgment and produce the film they envisioned all along.

Special features and extended cuts can be released at any time, as a later supplement.

Post #10 Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:48 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 41
cdybeijing wrote:
I would prefer the filmmakers to exercise their own artistic judgment and produce the film they envisioned all along.

Agreed.

Post #11 Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:00 pm 
Lives in gote

cdybeijing wrote:

Special features and extended cuts can be released at any time, as a later supplement.
It is possible for their final product to be a source of inspiration to other filmmakers seeking to include Go in their own films.

Will it be released on Blu-Ray :mrgreen: