It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Takemiya Cosmic Go Test
Post #1 Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:39 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 34
Was liked: 52
When I first started playing go, I read Cosmic Go about 4 stone handicap go and I also played a bit of San-ren-sei openings. Today, I don't play it, and I try to play a more balanced game. However, I still like Takemiya's style of play. I was just playing around and found this test that Dinerchtein created to see if San-ren-sei is a good choice for you.

I actually took the test not looking for what I thought was the best move, but what I thought was the best Cosmic Go move. I ended up doing pretty well, though not perfect.

Anyway, I thought it was a fun little test of whether one might understand the principles of Cosmic Go and San-ren-sei fuseki.
http://sanrensei.info/test.php
Your score is 240 from 300

San-ren-sei is a perfect choice for you!
We cannot promise that you will win all of your games when you use it, but we are sure that every game you play where san-ren-sei appears will be very exciting and enjoyable for you!

Post subject: Re: Takemiya Cosmic Go Test
Post #2 Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:55 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 159
Was liked: 36
Quote:
Your score is 210 from 300

You know a lot about using influence, but you don't like to play all-or-nothing games or games where you must kill your opponent's group inside of your moyo.
We might recommend that you use other influence-oriented fusekis, such as the Chinese family of fusekis (Low, High, Mini), takamoku-based openings, or tengen.
All of these openings are more flexible than san-ren-sei and it's usually possible to switch from influence to territory if the position requires it.

Heh, I'm pretty terrible at using influence. Everything lives, and I have no territory by the end of the game. Fun quiz.

Post subject: Re: Takemiya Cosmic Go Test
Post #3 Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:37 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Well, knowing it was a Takemiya-style test I knew what answers were expect, but it is not my style and I would not have actually played many of those I chose.

Your score is 275 from 300

San-ren-sei is a perfect choice for you!
We cannot promise that you will win all of your games when you use it, but we are sure that every game you play where san-ren-sei appears will be very exciting and enjoyable for you!

So then I redid it with the moves I would have played and got a different score.

Your score is 210 from 300

You know a lot about using influence, but you don't like to play all-or-nothing games or games where you must kill your opponent's group inside of your moyo.
We might recommend that you use other influence-oriented fusekis, such as the Chinese family of fusekis (Low, High, Mini), takamoku-based openings, or tengen.
All of these openings are more flexible than san-ren-sei and it's usually possible to switch from influence to territory if the position requires it.

And finally, I went back and looked at the positions again and tried to decide how many of them I would ever be likely to play in a game.

Zero. I have never liked hoshi very much and almost never play nirensei, nevermind sanrensie.