It is currently Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Zugzwang
Post #21 Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:54 pm 
Lives in gote

Posts: 328
Liked others: 4
Was liked: 18
Rank: 1er dan
Bill Spight wrote:
Gérard TAILLE wrote:
Is it the same problem in GO with area counting with position like the following?

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$B
$$ -----------------------
$$ | . O O X . . . . . . |
$$ | X . O X . . . . . . |
$$ | X X O X . . . . . . |
$$ | . . O X . . . . . . |
$$ | O O O X . . . . . . |
$$ | X X X X . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ -----------------------[/go]


Here again black should continue to move while white must pass.


Well, in CGT White cannot pass. ;) But there is no play at negative temperature with area scoring. OC, area rules could award Black two more points in the corner without requiring her to play there, After all, they allow removal of dead stones without play, so why not? I.e., Black could just place two stones in the corner for counting without actually playing them. I really don't know what, say, the Chinese rules say about that. {shrug}

----

Anyway, by my territory rules and Lasker-Maas rules Black has 2 points in this corner. :) Also by Berlekamp's rules. :)


Bill, do you have a link to understand in details how, in your rule, you play the last phase of the endgame and how you calculate the result of the game ?

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Zugzwang
Post #22 Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:22 pm 
Honinbo

Posts: 10625
Liked others: 3559
Was liked: 3332
Gérard TAILLE wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
Gérard TAILLE wrote:
Is it the same problem in GO with area counting with position like the following?

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$B
$$ -----------------------
$$ | . O O X . . . . . . |
$$ | X . O X . . . . . . |
$$ | X X O X . . . . . . |
$$ | . . O X . . . . . . |
$$ | O O O X . . . . . . |
$$ | X X X X . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ -----------------------[/go]


Here again black should continue to move while white must pass.


Well, in CGT White cannot pass. ;) But there is no play at negative temperature with area scoring. OC, area rules could award Black two more points in the corner without requiring her to play there, After all, they allow removal of dead stones without play, so why not? I.e., Black could just place two stones in the corner for counting without actually playing them. I really don't know what, say, the Chinese rules say about that. {shrug}

----

Anyway, by my territory rules and Lasker-Maas rules Black has 2 points in this corner. :) Also by Berlekamp's rules. :)


Bill, do you have a link to understand in details how, in your rule, you play the last phase of the endgame and how you calculate the result of the game ?


In my rules a pass lifts all ko and superko bans, so to stop play there is a three repetition rule, which usually means three consecutive passes. In the first phase of play passes are free. If the players cannot agree about scoring, e.g, about dead stones (which are removed and counted) or one way passes or whatever, or even if either player requests resumption of play, there is an encore that also ends with three repetitions, and passes cost one point (via pass stones). However, if the same player starts and begins the encore, the other player must hand over a prisoner. At the end of the encore all stones on the board are considered to be alive and all empty points surrounded by stones of one player are the territory of that player. :)

_________________
The Adkins Principle:
At some point, doesn't thinking have to go on?
— Winona Adkins

My two main guides in life:
My mother and my wife. :)

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Zugzwang
Post #23 Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:29 am 
Lives in gote

Posts: 328
Liked others: 4
Was liked: 18
Rank: 1er dan
Bill Spight wrote:
In my rules a pass lifts all ko and superko bans, so to stop play there is a three repetition rule, which usually means three consecutive passes. In the first phase of play passes are free. If the players cannot agree about scoring, e.g, about dead stones (which are removed and counted) or one way passes or whatever, or even if either player requests resumption of play, there is an encore that also ends with three repetitions, and passes cost one point (via pass stones). However, if the same player starts and begins the encore, the other player must hand over a prisoner. At the end of the encore all stones on the board are considered to be alive and all empty points surrounded by stones of one player are the territory of that player. :)


If I understand correctly that means that seki are counted more like area counting than territory counting. That means that your rule lies somewhere between chinese rule and japonese rule, doesn't it?
BTW it seems it is the same in the Lasker-Maas rule.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Zugzwang
Post #24 Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:26 am 
Honinbo

Posts: 10625
Liked others: 3559
Was liked: 3332
Gérard TAILLE wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
In my rules a pass lifts all ko and superko bans, so to stop play there is a three repetition rule, which usually means three consecutive passes. In the first phase of play passes are free. If the players cannot agree about scoring, e.g, about dead stones (which are removed and counted) or one way passes or whatever, or even if either player requests resumption of play, there is an encore that also ends with three repetitions, and passes cost one point (via pass stones). However, if the same player starts and begins the encore, the other player must hand over a prisoner. At the end of the encore all stones on the board are considered to be alive and all empty points surrounded by stones of one player are the territory of that player. :)


If I understand correctly that means that seki are counted more like area counting than territory counting. That means that your rule lies somewhere between chinese rule and japonese rule, doesn't it?
BTW it seems it is the same in the Lasker-Maas rule.


Aside from one way dame, which rarely occur, the main difference is that territory is counted in seki. That makes my rules and Lasker-Maas rules a form of chilled go for area scoring. :)

A hybrid between area and territory scoring is Button Go. :) See https://senseis.xmp.net/?ButtonGo You can implement Button Go without a physical token with a simple alteration of AGA rules. Instead of requiring White to make the last pass say that if the last player to pass is the same as the first player to pass, then the last pass is free. And then, if play resumes, if the last player to pass in the resumption is the same as the first player in the resumption, that pass is free.

Edit: In CGT terms 6½ komi may be written {-7|-6}. A play in the komi loses ½ point and is equivalent to taking the button. OC, taking the button gains ½ point in area scoring.

_________________
The Adkins Principle:
At some point, doesn't thinking have to go on?
— Winona Adkins

My two main guides in life:
My mother and my wife. :)

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Zugzwang
Post #25 Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:26 am 
Lives in gote

Posts: 328
Liked others: 4
Was liked: 18
Rank: 1er dan
I tried to build a game with the proposed zugswang position.
Here it is.
The sequence is not optimal OC but I tried to avoid any stupid move in order to have a sequence which looks "natural".

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Zugzwang
Post #26 Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:16 am 
Lives in gote

Posts: 328
Liked others: 4
Was liked: 18
Rank: 1er dan
Gérard TAILLE wrote:
I tried to build a game with the proposed zugswang position.
Here it is.
The sequence is not optimal OC but I tried to avoid any stupid move in order to have a sequence which looks "natural".


How do you count the above game with buttonGo rule?
Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$ -----------------
$$ | . . X X O O . |
$$ | . X . X O O X |
$$ | . X . X X X O |
$$ | . X X X O O O |
$$ | . X O O O . . |
$$ | X . X O . O . |
$$ | . X B O . . . |
$$ -----------------[/go]

After the last black move white passes and takes the button
The game continue by
Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$ -----------------
$$ | . . X X O O 1 |
$$ | . X . X O O X |
$$ | . X . X X X O |
$$ | . X X X O O O |
$$ | . X O O O . . |
$$ | X . X O . O . |
$$ | . X X O . . . |
$$ -----------------[/go]

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$B
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . X X 4 3 X |
$$ | . X . X 5 2 X |
$$ | . X . X X X O |
$$ | . X X X O O O |
$$ | . X O O O . . |
$$ | X . X O . O . |
$$ | . X X O . . . |
$$ -----------------[/go]

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$Wcm6
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . X X W 2 3 |
$$ | . X . X X O 1 |
$$ | . X . X X X O |
$$ | . X X X O O O |
$$ | . X O O O . . |
$$ | X . X O . O . |
$$ | . X X O . . . |
$$ -----------------[/go]

:b9: at the left of :b7:

Assuming a 7,5 komi white wins in japonese rules by 0.5 point.

How do you define the komi in buttonGo? What is the result of the game?

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Zugzwang
Post #27 Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:28 am 
Honinbo

Posts: 10625
Liked others: 3559
Was liked: 3332
Gérard TAILLE wrote:
Gérard TAILLE wrote:
I tried to build a game with the proposed zugswang position.
Here it is.
The sequence is not optimal OC but I tried to avoid any stupid move in order to have a sequence which looks "natural".


How do you count the above game with buttonGo rule?

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$W
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . X X O O . |
$$ | . X . X O O X |
$$ | . X . X X X O |
$$ | . X X X O O O |
$$ | . X O O O . . |
$$ | X . X O . O . |
$$ | . X B O . . . |
$$ -----------------[/go]

By territory scoring (NOT Japanese) Black has 10 points of empty territory on the board + 3 points in the top right corner + 4 points for prisoners = 17 points.

White has 7 points on the board + 2 points for prisoners - ½ point for the button = 8½ points.

Black is ahead by 8½ points.

Quote:
The game continue by
Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$B
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . X X O O 1 |
$$ | . X . X O O X |
$$ | . X . X X X O |
$$ | . X X X O O O |
$$ | . X O O O . . |
$$ | X . X O . O . |
$$ | . X X O . . . |
$$ -----------------[/go]

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$B
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . X X 4 3 X |
$$ | . X . X 5 2 X |
$$ | . X . X X X O |
$$ | . X X X O O O |
$$ | . X O O O . . |
$$ | X . X O . O . |
$$ | . X X O . . . |
$$ -----------------[/go]

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$Wcm6
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . X X W 2 3 |
$$ | . X . X X O 1 |
$$ | . X . X X X O |
$$ | . X X X O O O |
$$ | . X O O O . . |
$$ | X . X O . O . |
$$ | . X X O . . . |
$$ -----------------[/go]

:b9: at the left of :b7:


In terms of area scoring Black has 29 points on the board and White has 20 points plus ½ point for the button. Black is ahead by 8½ points. :)

Quote:
How do you define the komi in buttonGo? What is the result of the game?


Normally the komi is an integer. If it is 9 points on the 7x7, then White wins by ½ point.

_________________
The Adkins Principle:
At some point, doesn't thinking have to go on?
— Winona Adkins

My two main guides in life:
My mother and my wife. :)

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Zugzwang
Post #28 Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:41 am 
Lives in gote

Posts: 328
Liked others: 4
Was liked: 18
Rank: 1er dan
Bill Spight wrote:
Gérard TAILLE wrote:
Gérard TAILLE wrote:
I tried to build a game with the proposed zugswang position.
Here it is.
The sequence is not optimal OC but I tried to avoid any stupid move in order to have a sequence which looks "natural".


How do you count the above game with buttonGo rule?

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$W
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . X X O O . |
$$ | . X . X O O X |
$$ | . X . X X X O |
$$ | . X X X O O O |
$$ | . X O O O . . |
$$ | X . X O . O . |
$$ | . X B O . . . |
$$ -----------------[/go]

By territory scoring (NOT Japanese) Black has 10 points of empty territory on the board + 3 points in the top right corner + 4 points for prisoners = 17 points.

White has 7 points on the board + 2 points for prisoners - ½ point for the button = 8½ points.

Black is ahead by 8½ points.

Quote:
The game continue by
Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$B
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . X X O O 1 |
$$ | . X . X O O X |
$$ | . X . X X X O |
$$ | . X X X O O O |
$$ | . X O O O . . |
$$ | X . X O . O . |
$$ | . X X O . . . |
$$ -----------------[/go]

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$B
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . X X 4 3 X |
$$ | . X . X 5 2 X |
$$ | . X . X X X O |
$$ | . X X X O O O |
$$ | . X O O O . . |
$$ | X . X O . O . |
$$ | . X X O . . . |
$$ -----------------[/go]

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$Wcm6
$$ -----------------
$$ | . . X X W 2 3 |
$$ | . X . X X O 1 |
$$ | . X . X X X O |
$$ | . X X X O O O |
$$ | . X O O O . . |
$$ | X . X O . O . |
$$ | . X X O . . . |
$$ -----------------[/go]

:b9: at the left of :b7:


In terms of area scoring Black has 29 points on the board and White has 20 points plus ½ point for the button. Black is ahead by 8½ points. :)

Quote:
How do you define the komi in buttonGo? What is the result of the game?


Normally the komi is an integer. If it is 9 points on the 7x7, then White wins by ½ point.


I understood that the komi for 7x7 game is 9 points only with area scoring. In territory scoring it seems the komi is 8 points.

If I understand correctly and I choose to play a 7x7 game with a komi of 7.5 in japonese rules, then this komi becomes 8 points for buttonGo game.
That means that in case of zugswang, buttonGo may fail to give the same result of japonese rule. Fortunatly these zugswang positions occured never in practice so it doesn't matter. It was just a theoritical question OC.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Zugzwang
Post #29 Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:21 am 
Honinbo

Posts: 10625
Liked others: 3559
Was liked: 3332
Gérard TAILLE wrote:
How do you define the komi in buttonGo? What is the result of the game?


Moi wrote:
Normally the komi is an integer. If it is 9 points on the 7x7, then White wins by ½ point.


Gérard TAILLE wrote:
I understood that the komi for 7x7 game is 9 points only with area scoring. In territory scoring it seems the komi is 8 points.

If I understand correctly and I choose to play a 7x7 game with a komi of 7.5 in japonese rules, then this komi becomes 8 points for buttonGo game.
That means that in case of zugswang, buttonGo may fail to give the same result of japonese rule. Fortunatly these zugswang positions occured never in practice so it doesn't matter. It was just a theoritical question OC.


Oh, that's not the only difference with Japanese rules. Button Go is a hybrid between area and territory scoring, and will count territory in seki.

As for the best komi on the 7x7 with Button Go, we could ask KataGo (lightvector).

_________________
The Adkins Principle:
At some point, doesn't thinking have to go on?
— Winona Adkins

My two main guides in life:
My mother and my wife. :)

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Zugzwang
Post #30 Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:19 pm 
Lives in gote

Posts: 624
Liked others: 102
Was liked: 731
Rank: maybe 2d
Bill Spight wrote:
As for the best komi on the 7x7 with Button Go, we could ask KataGo (lightvector).


Under Tromp-Taylor-like rules with a button (first pass earns 0.5 points and does not count for ending the game), KataGo says 50% black winrate at 8.5 komi, 98% with 8 komi, 3% with 9 komi. Feel free to explore the variations with KataGo with any appropriate analysis interface if you like.


This post by lightvector was liked by: Bill Spight
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group