It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Who will win: Lee Sedol or AlphaGo?
Lee Sedol crushing victory (5-0) 26%  26%  [ 29 ]
Lee Sedol comfortable victory (4-1) 31%  31%  [ 35 ]
Lee Sedol close victory (3-2) 14%  14%  [ 16 ]
Too close to call 9%  9%  [ 10 ]
AlphaGo close victory (2-3) 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
AlphaGo comfortable victory (1-4) 11%  11%  [ 12 ]
AlphaGo crushing victory (0-5) 5%  5%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 113
 Post subject: Re: AlphaGo vs Lee Sedol, who will win?
Post #81 Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:04 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
tj86430 wrote:
Kirby wrote:

CutFirstThinkLater, it surprises me that the result that you think has the highest probability differs from what you would bet money on.

Surely it depends on odds offered?

Oh, do you mean betting sites are offering more if you bet on AlphaGo? I didn't assume anything about odds from his post.

Post #82 Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:36 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 129
Kirby wrote:
tj86430 wrote:
Kirby wrote:

CutFirstThinkLater, it surprises me that the result that you think has the highest probability differs from what you would bet money on.

Surely it depends on odds offered?

Oh, do you mean betting sites are offering more if you bet on AlphaGo? I didn't assume anything about odds from his post.

I don't know which odds (if any) are offered. I just assumed that if someone is betting on other than favourite (in his mind), it must be because of the odds.

Post #83 Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:24 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 14
It looks like that bitbet site is offering evens odds. Given most people think 4/1 or 5/0 to Lee is the likely outcome this is a very good value bet.

Post #84 Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:42 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
longshanks wrote:
It looks like that bitbet site is offering evens odds. Given most people think 4/1 or 5/0 to Lee is the likely outcome this is a very good value bet.

My only issue with this bet is that there's a secondary bet involved, which is that you actually get your payout should you win. The reviews on bitbet are pretty shady, and it looks like currently they are suspending payouts because of a Chinese attack of some sort.

Post #85 Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:09 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
L19 users could always come to a personal arrangement for betting amongst themselves. I will offer a £10 bet that Lee will win the series at evens (so if you want to take me up on this bet and you think AlphaGo will win then the loser pays the winner £10 via Paypal or inter-bank transfer (I'm in the UK so would prefer not to give paypal their cut)). I reserve the right to accept or decline offers based on your L19 reputation.

Last edited by Uberdude on Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post #86 Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:11 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 11
Kirby wrote:

Because I feel both sides have basically similar chances of winning with Lee only slightly ahead, and despite this, the overwhelming majority of the Go community (and the general public at least in Korea, where I live) seems to think Lee will win easily. So if a bet goes up, and the majority bets for Lee, I thought betting against Lee would promise a bigger expected value.

However, it seems at least in the west, I underestimated the weight "Google" carries in the layperson's mind. I visited BitBet.com and it looks like a lot of people there who know nothing about Go (which probably is the majority) are showing their faith in the IT giant. If that's the case, surely I should re-think my betting strategy. :)

This post by CutFirstThinkLater was liked by: Kirby

Post #87 Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:28 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
GoRatings got five new games for Fan Hui, and they're all losses. Hope everyone has time to put the new ELO figures into their calculations before the first game starts.

Post #88 Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:49 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 318
Was liked: 345
hyperpape wrote:
GoRatings got five new games for Fan Hui, and they're all losses. Hope everyone has time to put the new ELO figures into their calculations before the first game starts.

Evil! :)

Post #89 Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:14 pm 
Judan

Here are the final poll results.

Attachment:
AlphaGo poll.png
AlphaGo poll.png [ 10.48 KiB | Viewed 10001 times ]

This post by Uberdude was liked by: emeraldemon

Post #90 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:32 am 
Judan

AlphaGo wins the first game by resignation! 28 people are already wrong, more than the 17 who voted for any margin of AlphaGo victory!

Post #91 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:39 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 9
KGS: HandA
Tygem: NhaTrang11
IGS: Nagi
Wbaduk: handa711
OGS: hoanganh2357
The robots are taking over!!! everyone evacuate to the Moon!

Post #92 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:42 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 38
Nouuuu!!!

It was a fascinating game!

Post #93 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:58 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 126
That was great!

I wish they'd put up separate streams in addition to the official one. It would be nice to get one stream for the game-room and one for the demo board so that we could choose how much screen real-estate to give to each and also have the option to watch other commentaries, instead of the official one. The official broadcast seemed to be constantly showing the wrong one at the wrong time and showing far too little of the game-room and the players themselves.

I watched a bit of the AGA broadcast because it had more detailed commentary and they seemed to have a stream from the game-room in the top-left corner. Does anyone know where to get that feed?

(Yeah, I have a 27-inch monitor and all-the-Internets, I can stream more than one thing and YouTube certainly has the bandwidth for it.)

Post #94 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:03 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 14
Was liked: 23
I was expecting AlphaGo to win, but Lee really seemed to believe in himself. It was really bad watching him for the last ~15 minutes, you could see the pain and sadness on his face whenever the camera went to him. Pretty damn rough, really emotive. His hands were shaking too, and also the computer's move relayer's hands were shaking quite a bit earlier (around when the lower right area was being completed). I wonder if it was 'obvious' to the computer (if it shows its winrate) that it had won at that point, and the relayer could see it. And the move towards the top right, where the computer played the wrong atari - that was the point I figured it knew for sure it was going to win as it was such a 'basic' mistake. That must have been so damn intimidating for Lee, almost like it was mocking him.

Intense, can't wait for tomorrow. I hope Lee doesn't get too down if he loses 5-0.

This post by Simba was liked by 2 people: Charlie, Kirby

Post #95 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:30 am 
Judan

One of the key moments for me was Lee's bad timing of the s13 atari. If there's one thing bots are good at it is deciding if your move is really sente or a bluff and playing something else more important first. I hope he can put this loss behind him and not be so careless in the next game. He needs to maintain concentration for every move, the bot is merciless at punishing fake sentes.

Post #96 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:37 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Simba wrote:
It was really bad watching him for the last ~15 minutes, you could see the pain and sadness on his face whenever the camera went to him.

Yes.

Post #97 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:39 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Kirby wrote:
I lost a little bit of respect for them, though, when I saw the nature video clip where one of the lead programmers on the team mentioned their upcoming challenge against "Lee See-dol".

It's a small mistake, and has nothing to do with the development of their AI - but at least it gives me the idea that he might not understand the magnitude of difference between a pro and top pro if he doesn't even know how to pronounce the name of the person they are challenging.

Even Michael Redmond 9p admitted during the broadcast that he didn't know how to pronounce Lee Sedol's name correctly. Apparently this is more of a matter of whether one knows Korean.

Post #98 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:44 am 
Lives in sente

Simba wrote:
I was expecting AlphaGo to win, but Lee really seemed to believe in himself. It was really bad watching him for the last ~15 minutes, you could see the pain and sadness on his face whenever the camera went to him. Pretty damn rough, really emotive. His hands were shaking too,
I am not certain, but I thought Lee Sedol's hand-shaking was counting.

Post #99 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:46 am 
Lives in sente

Uberdude wrote:
AlphaGo wins the first game by resignation! 28 people are already wrong, more than the 17 who voted for any margin of AlphaGo victory!

I am one of the 28. Glad I didn't find a site that let me bet on that outcome. I might have lost a good chunk of change.

Post #100 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:26 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 11
wineandgolover wrote:
Simba wrote:
I was expecting AlphaGo to win, but Lee really seemed to believe in himself. It was really bad watching him for the last ~15 minutes, you could see the pain and sadness on his face whenever the camera went to him. Pretty damn rough, really emotive. His hands were shaking too,
I am not certain, but I thought Lee Sedol's hand-shaking was counting.

I'm pretty sure that was counting rather tha shaking. But his face did look painful at the end. :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next