Post #21 Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:01 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
RBerenguel wrote:
illluck wrote:
One possible issue with the suggestion of finding pros and pro-aspirants is the language barrier - if they are fluent enough in English I doubt such retainers would be attractive (but I suspect that even if they aren't fluent the money would not be attractive - especially given the time that may be needed).

As a forum I think L19 is doing quite well, and I think saving the money/beer and pizza for the admins would be good :) Another possibility might be to use part of the money to buy, say, KGS plus subscriptions as prizes for some L19 tournaments.

Maybe we don't need to go that far: wouldn't you hang out in a Go forum and answer interesting questions without problems for 50$ a month? It's like getting paid for reading forums and doing what you enjoy. I would, I enjoy Go and I assume ex-inseis do, too. If the point is getting him to answer everything and everywhere, yes, we need more dedication than someone in passing could give.

I'm not expecting someone to answer everything, maybe only those that some 3D+ member asks him to. And 50 USD per month doesn't sound like much to most of us, but in rural China there are lots of people living on 500 USD per month. That is a 10% increase in pay for them. Think of it as a 10% raise for something that you can do in your bathrobe on your own schedule.

Post subject: Re: Spending/investing the excess
Post #22 Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:23 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
I was trying to imply that even in the west, 50$ is after all, 50$. With it you can buy books, a dinner, coffee. It may be a 2% raise for some, but it's almost effort free money as long as it's something fun to do :)

In short: Why not try to find someone ;)?

Post #23 Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:04 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 171
GD Posts: 1104
KGS: fwiffo
I wonder if countsheep would be interested. He's a little self-concious of his English, and I've helped him with some of the scripts for his videos, but his written English is actually pretty good, certainly clear enough for anyone who's had any communication with Asian go players in the past. I don't know his exact strength, but he's definitely strong, probably a former insei (or whatever the Chinese equiavlent is).

Post #24 Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:38 pm 
Judan

RBerenguel wrote:
...can't you add a "donate" (or contribute, if Paypal gets picky) button beside the logo here in the forums ...

That's a great idea. We just got the code from Paypal, and someone ( probably Fwiffo ) will be trying to install it soon.

RBerenguel wrote:
...In short: Why not try to find someone ;)?

I intend to.

fwiffo wrote:
I wonder if countsheep would be interested...

Sound like a good candidate. Please PM me any contact info.

Post #25 Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:46 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
I don't think you should exaggerate what you can buy in China with $50. And further, I doubt that many professional Go players moonlight as rice farmers/ assembly line workers.

Post #26 Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:57 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
jts wrote:
I don't think you should exaggerate what you can buy in China with $50. And further, I doubt that many professional Go players moonlight as rice farmers/ assembly line workers.
True, but it does quite well compared to the hourly wage. I know in South Korea, many go professionals make below the average income.

Post #27 Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:01 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
welcome back fwiffo :salute:

Post #28 Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:33 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
I'd just save it for next year.

Post #29 Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:34 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
Use it what it was donated for. It's as simple as that.

Last edited by karaklis on Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #30 Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:40 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
and are we not having bandwidth issues? viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5400

Post #31 Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:27 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
karaklis wrote:
Use it what is was donated for. It's as simple as that.

I agree that this makes the most sense, and avoids the problem of people donating for one thing and getting another. Nonetheless a few interesting suggestions have been made, and the speedy and generous responses to Joaz' request indicates that a) L19 is already doing a good job serving the needs of it's users, and b) there is a willingness to invest in the site.

Perhaps instead of discussing what to do with a few excess dollars, we should think more specifically how we might want to enhance the site. Some of you may not know, but in addition to offering the forum, L19 also already streams go videos (http://www.lifein19x19.com/L19TV.php ) and has a pro-games database (http://www.lifein19x19.com/gogames/database1.htm ).

What else do we want? It occurred to me this morning that I would enjoy a fb style popup chat window - but I imagine that if people are interested in that, it probably wouldn't cost much. As for something worth raising money for, I think paying a high level player to play a Malkovitch game is a fantastic idea, and one that would make sense for L19 - the creators of Malkovitch - to sponsor.

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to collect a few more ideas and then put up a poll asking which ideas people would be willing to sponsor/ do the work to make happen.

Post #32 Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:49 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 21
Please value my comments relative to my contribution (I missed the window). There is a clarity that is very helpful to L19 to use the funds raised for the stated purpose.

I would enjoy a pro-am malkovich as well. I would be happy to contribute to a professional fund (and try not to miss the window).

For the administrators, once you start paying pros, difficulties arise. Finding someone. Aligning their interests with ours. Getting a pro to play in the spirit of a Malkovich game might be difficult, especially with an amateur. Pros often charge about $500 per day for clinics - I think a well done Malkovich would be about that amount. There are also IP rights to consider once you pay for content.

Post #33 Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:15 am 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
daal wrote:
What else do we want? It occurred to me this morning that I would enjoy a fb style popup chat window - but I imagine that if people are interested in that, it probably wouldn't cost much.

I would really, really hate that. Facebook is so slow these days.

Post #34 Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:54 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
jts wrote:
daal wrote:
What else do we want? It occurred to me this morning that I would enjoy a fb style popup chat window - but I imagine that if people are interested in that, it probably wouldn't cost much.

I would really, really hate that. Facebook is so slow these days.

Is it the chat that makes FB so slow? I doubt it. While I certainly wouldn't want to bog down the L19 forum with unwanted fluff, I personally quite enjoy the occasional chat with friends on KGS and I don't see what's to really really hate about it. Some of the people I'd like to chat with are either rarely on KGS or I don't know their handle. I think if you don't want to be chatted at, it would probably be easy to set your status to off-line.

Post #35 Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:57 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
There must be plenty of chat widgets for phpBB that aren't too resource demanding?

Post #36 Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:26 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 124
Was liked: 46
Chat window would be cool, so would pro malk.

Post #37 Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:45 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 42
Was liked: 49
You could try starting a separate fundraiser for a pro Malkovich game and see how much interest you get. Maybe you should have a caveat going in that if you raise less than $300 or so you would just put it into the general fund for ongoing expenses.

Post #38 Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:17 am 
Judan

Joaz Banbeck wrote:
RBerenguel wrote:
...can't you add a "donate" (or contribute, if Paypal gets picky) button beside the logo here in the forums ...

That's a great idea. We just got the code from Paypal, and someone ( probably Fwiffo ) will be trying to install it soon...

It is done. If you like this feature, remember to thank Fwiffo.

Post #39 Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:20 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
One or two weeks ago, L19 had database problems. Since when that has been fixed, every second time I call L19, the board index's graphical elements load very slowly, then clicking on Login does not produce an immediate reaction but takes about 5 to 15 seconds for the login dialog to appear Only as soon as I am logged in, everything is fine.

Therefore money and / or effort needs to be invested on the pre-login connection state.

Post #40 Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:18 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 15
Numbered red stones and hex boards? :)