All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for guinea pigs for new site theme
Post #1 Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:06 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 171
GD Posts: 1104
KGS: fwiffo
The current default theme "subsilver2" is no longer developed or supported, so there has been a discussion among the moderators and admins about switching over to the new custom theme that was started quite a while back and has been sitting idle.

To move development forward, I'm looking for some volunteers to switch over to the new theme and give comments. It's still a work in progress, and only a few screens are completed, but I'd like to start getting some feedback so that if there's major issues, they can be resolved before it's too hard to go back.

To switch themes, go to your user control panel, and select "board preferences". There should be an option on that screen to switch themes.

The theme is based on the more modern prosilver theme, so the functionality is going to be more consistent with that than the current default theme.

If you see a problem, let me know what browser, version and operating system you're using. If the whole screen looks screwed up or clunky, it may be one that I haven't really worked on extensively yet (there will be lots of these). Just noting which screen is broken is sufficient in those cases. If the screen looks mostly OK but has a few problems, you can be more specific. Screenshots are helpful if you're using a less common platform (that means you, Mac users).

The new theme will NOT support IE6, so you'll just have to join the 21st century if you're in that camp.

Post subject: Re: Looking for guinea pigs for new site theme
Post #2 Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:09 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Looks neat in Safari in iPad. There's a float rendering problem in the UCP, but not a critical problem at all, just a slight misplacement. Will keep looking ;)

Post #3 Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:14 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 129
First comments with FF 3.6.27 on Snow Leopard
- looks ok, the subtle graphics on upper right and lower left corners could be used more
- why is the area used so narrow? Now 2/3 of my display contains nothing.

Post #4 Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:23 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
I'm seeing

Quote:
GD Posts: 0
L19 user ID: 0

As "default data" for any user (everyone has 0, too). Also I'd rather have View unread posts in the far left than unanswered, for quicker access. View your posts moved around, too, but can get used to that.

Post #5 Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:58 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
No likes? Don't like that.

Still "View active topics" instead of "view recent posts?" Time for a change :)

Post #6 Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:12 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I think I like it alright (though I'm less sold on the whatever color that is background). Hidden sections no longer have a little box that sets them off from their surroundings, which I find a bit disorienting.

I definitely like that announcements are set off from regular posts.

Post #7 Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:25 pm 
Gosei

- pm window is a bit misaligned
- sending pm is with "submit" and not with "send" (I don't remember how it was in subsilver2)

Post #8 Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:30 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Up to date Chrome on Windows 7: the User Control Panel has overlapping elements and layout problems.

Post #9 Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:37 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
It's okay... not my favorite.

The first thing that hits me is that it's corny. Just something about how boxy and cartoonish everything looks. I think there's some other forum that it reminds me of: one that I don't like.

The second thing that hits me is that the colors don't go together well. Culprit one: the salmon-pinkish background and the yellow-brown banner. They just don't match. Culprit two: subsilver has subtly different shades of blue in alternating posts, which makes threads easy to read. Our new custom themes is just an unbroken sea of white posts.

But no bugs or anything, so far. Would you like us to keep using it and report as you tweak it, or can we switch back now?

(Oh, and I also don't like that you can't see who has liked a post.)

(Xubuntu O, Chrome 18.0.1025.100.14159)

Post #10 Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:40 pm 
Gosei

Among the major screens that are not really done or only partially done:

Posting threads/replies
User control panel
PM Screens

Mostly the only parts I've done are the header/footer areas, the forum list, the thread list and viewing threads. The "hide" boxes are kinda broken too.

If you don't like it, or don't want to use it in it's half implemented state, feel free to switch back for now. It will eventually be the default, which I know won't make everyone happy, but it's not practical to support multiple themes and subsilver2 is very dated and will become increasingly broken. However, I don't have vast acres of time to work on it, so the switch-over won't be all that soon.

Post #11 Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:42 pm 
Gosei

jts wrote:
the salmon-pinkish background and the yellow-brown banner.

Interestingly, on my screen the banner is yellow-brownish (more to the brown), but so is the background, only lighter (i.e. more yellow than brown). There is absolutely nothing pinkish about the background on my screen.

Post #12 Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:52 pm 
Gosei

The background is neither salmon nor pink. I'm working from a calibrated monitor, so if you're seeing colors like that, your monitor is WAY off. The banner is a photo of a go board, and its colors should be approximately true-to-life.

Post #13 Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:02 pm 
Gosei

Also, If your general thought is that it's going in completely the wrong direction and that we should start from scratch, please suggest some sites or forums whose layout you like.

Post #14 Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:14 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
First, thanks to Fwiffo for doing this. ( It is no fun to do something when you know that the people who don't like it will speak up, but most of the people who do like it will say nothing. )
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I find the contrast WAY too harsh. Dark-blue-almost-black against a tan/salmon background is difficult for me, and remains so even when I turn down the contrast on my monitor. The black and white stones indicating which forums have new threads are also too high contrast. They could be made smaller to minimize their distacting effect

The middle 70% of my screen is used. There is a 15% border on either side.

I see pinkish/salmon too.

@Fwiffo: are you perhaps a bit red/green colorblind? If so, you would tend to see reds as shades of yellow.

FWIW, I'm using Hardy Heron and Firefox.

Post #15 Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:35 pm 
Gosei

Joaz Banbeck wrote:

The middle 70% of my screen is uded. There is a 15% border on either side.

Assuming uded = used, for me its roughly 32% - 36% - 32% or so. I have 2560 pixels horizontally, with taskbar taking some on the left, so roughly 2500 pixels for browser. I'd guess the area used is about 900pixels or so.

Post #16 Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:38 pm 
Gosei

fwiffo wrote:
please suggest some sites or forums whose layout you like.

I do like this, but I don't know which theme it uses: http://www.pokeritieto.com/keskustelu/

Post #17 Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:58 pm 
Gosei

The fixed width of the layout is intentional, though not necessarily permanent. Fluid-width layouts are a bear to develop, and there are many good reasons why so few sites use them. Even in this day and age, 1024 is still pretty much the standard. Long lines of text are hard to read, so if we want to use more horizontal space than that, probably we should add more columns with other functionality or information in them.

Regardless, I know that a lot of people would prefer a fluid layout that fills the screen, so I'm keeping that in mind. However, because of the technical complications, it'll be fixed width for most of the development process and then adapted to a fluid layout if we decide to go with that. I'm keeping that option open during development so I don't make any decisions that are completely incompatible with a fluid layout.

And injecting my opinion, I have no idea how you browse the web with a maximized browser on a 30 inch monitor. I have my browser in a ~1200 pixel wide window side by side with other applications, and that's still too wide on many sites.

As far as the background color, my color perception is good. The background is tan, not pink. Not sure how dark blue on tan can be too-high contrast when most of the web is black on white... Do you have your monitor on some sort of vivid or game mode or something?

@tj86430: That site uses a prosilver based theme, which is what the new theme is based on (you may notice it shares many of the same icons/graphics).

Post #18 Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:59 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Windows 7 with Firefox

With Highcontrast 2 theme in Windows (black background and lightgreen text) the PM, quote and report buttons are invisible.

Edit: So are the delete and edit post buttons.

Post #19 Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:26 pm 
Judan

jts wrote:
...subsilver has subtly different shades of blue in alternating posts, which makes threads easy to read. Our new custom themes is just an unbroken sea of white posts...

Ahhh, yes. I didn't know what I was missing until it was named. I just knew that the posts blurred into one another. We do need some vertical delimiters. The different shades of blue were so unobtrusive that I didn't notice them until they were gone.

Post #20 Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:03 pm 
Judan

tj86430 wrote:
fwiffo wrote:
please suggest some sites or forums whose layout you like.

I do like this, but I don't know which theme it uses: http://www.pokeritieto.com/keskustelu/

I like that one, mostly. The layout appears uncluttered, and in that respect, is a lot better than ours. The only problem with it is the bi-shading of the posts is too different in color, and is distracting.