All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Deletion of Tchan's recent post
Post #41 Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:26 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
I feel like it might disrupt the flow of the thread if the original message is changed after someone's responded to it. For example, if you are arguing that the grass is colored purple, and someone responds to it, if you go back and edit your post to change purple to green, it makes the argument seem incoherent.

If we wanted to implement something like this officially, I think it would be cool to have some sort of "retract this message" button. When you clicked on it, it would perhaps give some sort of default text that is the same for everybody. I might even think it'd be good to maintain the original message in hide tags or something so that it's still visible to someone that wants to follow the original discussion.

This post by Kirby was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, topazg

Post #42 Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:02 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
Kirby wrote:
I feel like it might disrupt the flow of the thread if the original message is changed after someone's responded to it. For example, if you are arguing that the grass is colored purple, and someone responds to it, if you go back and edit your post to change purple to green, it makes the argument seem incoherent.

This is why quoting is important.
This way there is always a record to what exactly you responded to, regardless of any editing.

Post #43 Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:42 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I think that's a strawman, Kirby. The point is not to erase points you made*, but to avoid having personal attacks persist on the boards.

* It proves nothing, but I'll still note that I'm so persnickety that
1) I write a description of what I am editing almost every time I edit a post of mine on these boards
2) One of the several things stalling me from creating a new personal website is that I can't decide on a proper way to handle URL schemes, permalinks and old versions of content.

Post #44 Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:28 pm 
Honinbo

hyperpape wrote:
I think that's a strawman, Kirby. The point is not to erase points you made*, but to avoid having personal attacks persist on the boards.

* It proves nothing, but I'll still note that I'm so persnickety that
1) I write a description of what I am editing almost every time I edit a post of mine on these boards
2) One of the several things stalling me from creating a new personal website is that I can't decide on a proper way to handle URL schemes, permalinks and old versions of content.

I think by "strawman" you are referring to a strawman argument, but for that to be the case, I think I have to be arguing with you - and that's not my intention. Yes, I understand that the ability to edit posts could take away from personal attacks on boards (which shouldn't be there in the first place).

I am trying to note that this functionality, if made generally available, could lead to discontinuity of thought in threads.

My proposal contains two aspects that I prefer to the option of simply allowing free edits:
1.) A generic text blurb removes the personal attack, while still disallowing a user to add confusion to the middle of a thread.
2.) Allowing for the original text to remain still lets readers understand the original flow in content.

Regarding personal attacks, we have admins that could remove a post if it was too extreme.

Anyway, I'm still not trying to argue with you. This is just a possible feature I thought of.

Post #45 Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:30 pm 
Honinbo

Bantari wrote:
Kirby wrote:

This is why quoting is important.
This way there is always a record to what exactly you responded to, regardless of any editing.

Agreed. Though, the system does not currently enforce it.

Post #46 Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:32 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 738
Was liked: 239
KGS: illluck
Tygem: Trickprey
OGS: illluck
I think currently the system shows if you made any edits after there has been replies.

Post #47 Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:39 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
illluck wrote:
I think currently the system shows if you made any edits after there has been replies.

Yes, and it shows the edit count as my post in this thread now shows.

Post #48 Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:58 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 253
Was liked: 105
Are we here to enforce rules for fisticuffs, or are we here to make browsing and participating in this forum pleasant and inoffensive?

A not especially pleasant post

Post #49 Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:40 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 738
Was liked: 239
KGS: illluck
Tygem: Trickprey
OGS: illluck
Loons wrote:
Are we here to enforce rules for fisticuffs, or are we here to make browsing and participating in this forum pleasant and inoffensive?

Are these two mutually exclusive?

Post #50 Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:07 am 
Honinbo

Loons wrote:

A software system should be designed such that users have the intendd experience. Flexibility is nice, but only to the point to which it facilitates an enjoyable experience. That's why, while quoting text is an option for showing continuity in a thread, absence of enforcement doesnot guarantee this user experience.