It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Why does this forum not have a policy against self-promo
Post #61 Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:19 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 12
palapiku wrote:
To the original poster: is self-promotion your real concern? Imagine if Robert Jasiek hadn't written those books but instead was simply a fan of someone else's books.

I would actually have no problem with that. In any case, the mods have spoken, so I consider the case closed and would rather not induce more arguing so this will be my last post in this thread.

If anyone wishes to discuss things further I'd be more than happy to respond to a PM.

This post by Lamp was liked by 3 people: Joaz Banbeck, Kirby, Phelan

Post subject: Re: Why does this forum not have a policy against self-promo
Post #62 Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:10 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 1562
Was liked: 140
GD Posts: 892
Kirby wrote:
It's only kind of semi-related, but I am a fan of stack overflow's approach to discussion. For a given topic/question, you can opt to "comment" or leave an actual answer. As far as I know, the ordering of comments doesn't change, but based on community voti, the most popular answers move to the top.

All answers are always available even if they get low votes, but the popular consensus of what constitutes "quality content" gets moved to the top.

I'm not sure of the way to do it best, but it would be cool to have such a system for threads in the forum. Threads that people thought were cool could be up-boted, and threads that everybody hates could be down-voted.

All the threads would still be there, but as a user of this site, you could put priority on reading the "cool threads".

If something like that did ever happen, I feel it'd be good to have it as a particular view, at the same level as "View unread posts", "View new posts", etc.

Maybe it'd be as easy as making a view for "View by OP like count" or "View unread by OP like count".

There was a Stack Overflow site for Go a while ago, but it wasn't popular enough to stick. There was a topic for it either here or on GD, I don't remember.