It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Introducing new players to go
Post #1 Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:00 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
GD Posts: 25
A friend and I are going to be heading to a gaming expo this Saturday to hopefully introduce some new players to go.

I'm trying to come up with different ways to grab the attention of, and introduce go to, people who have never played. Right now the plan is to just have a game going on between myself and the other go player I am doing this with in order to give guests an idea of what the game looks like and how it is played. Then we will also have a board with simple tsumego and a 9x9 for introductory games.

I'd really appreciate any other suggestions as I have never done anything like this before.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Introducing new players to go
Post #2 Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:08 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Dieter's teaching experiences and recommendations are really good, in my opinion. I'd add that on the first time, you're going to go too fast whatever method you use. Just try and fight that.

The ideal circumstance is to have two beginners playing each other with you occasionally checking on them or answering questions. In all circumstances, try and avoid playing them yourselves--it will most likely overwhelm them.

Edit: added second paragraph of advice.

Last edited by hyperpape on Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

This post by hyperpape was liked by: LexC

Post #3 Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:13 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 333
Was liked: 102
Universal go server handle: p2501
When we at one of the go clubs I attend did something like that, the most difficult thing was getting the rules explained without overwhelming the newcomer. I would suggest, showing every rule slowly on the board and not to rush through them. The hardest part will most likely be scoring, ko and status of groups.

Two people playing the game is a good way to attract viewers. A third person would be very handy, to row the watching bystanders in by talking to them. 19x19 also is usually scary for newcomers, I would suggest to play only on a 9x9 board.

Post #4 Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:32 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
p2501 wrote:
I would suggest to play only on a 9x9 board.

Easier to play and explain, but also less eye-catching. My suggestion is to put up a sign that says: "Chess is a battle, go is a war," and when people ask about the game you can point out the interdependent battles for territory going on without explaining any rules at all. Then you tell them that it's the coolest game on earth, and give them a card with links to the interactive way to go, igowin, kgs and L19.

Post #5 Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:15 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 3
From my experience helping run a unversity go club that had only been reformed on the year I went to university I would give a couple of tips.

1) 9x9 is not a good size of board for beginners. I would recommend 13x13 we used to use laminated boards but you can also just cover the edges of a 19x19 board.

While the number of possible moves is much lower, it requires great precision in life and death, and loses much of the beauty of a shape game. 13x13 gives enough room for multiple live groups.

2) Keep one 19x19 board game going between the two of you in the middle. It helps for explaining some of the ideas to have a game that has progressed a few moves. You then want at least two other boards. You can then demonstrate the rules to newcomers. And then either let them play themselves or a handicapped game against you. What then often happens is beginners you teach will be able to answer other newcomers questions.

Explaining the rules is relatively easy because there are so few of them. One easy order is: Liberties - groups - surrounding area - two eyes - scoring - then play. Obviously, there are other eye-catching approaches that can be used but several people who have never played know about the game. I used to get questions about drug dealers autobiographies and films that include go. And the frustrating Asians who wouldn't consider play at the university club level because they weren't strong enough being only 3 dan...

Post #6 Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:02 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 1562
Was liked: 140
GD Posts: 892
I second hyperpape's advice. If you can, try and use chinese rules when explaining the game, no need to explain what live groups are that way. Also, small boards are preferred. While it doesn't show the game's shapes, the games are shorter, and it doesn't tire people as much.
You should have one 19x19 board, though, especially with a game half-played. It's a good way to illustrate the beauty and complexity of the game.