Post subject: Helping a beginner
Post #1 Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:42 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 2
KGS: markeemark
Online playing schedule: irregular due to work
Hi all

I am a new Go player who started playing last year, then had to take a break due to work commitments.

I really need some assistance with my Go game if anyone can offer some pointers, to get me moving through the kyu grades.

I am working my way through a number of books currently and play on both kgs (21 kyu) and dgs (29 kyu).

I am only in temporary work contracts at the moment otherwise I would look at making a financial arrangement with a teacher.

If anyone can offer any support or suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Regards

markeemark

This post by markeemark was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject:
Post #2 Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:44 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Welcome. There are people on KGS and here who are happy to help you.
If you haven't finished 100 games already, try to finish 100 games as quickly as you can. :)

This post by EdLee was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject: Re:
Post #3 Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:48 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
EdLee wrote:
[..] try to finish 100 games as quickly as you can. :)
Wasn’t it “Lose your first 100 games as quickly as you can?”

:twisted:

Greetings, Tom

<edit>

Oh, sorry, forgot my WELCOME!!!11 :oops: (which usually just consists of my “thank you!” click on the introductory post) ;-)

</edit>

Post subject:
Post #4 Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:02 pm 
Honinbo

Bonobo wrote:
Wasn’t it “Lose your first 100 games as quickly as you can?”
Exactly -- I like "finish" much better. :)
(In practice, it really doesn't matter -- the point is that the most important thing at this phase is experience --
win or lose, how many games exactly, etc. are not important. Just play! :))

This post by EdLee was liked by: xed_over

Post subject: Re: Helping a beginner
Post #5 Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:02 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
markeemark wrote:
I am working my way through a number of books currently[...]

Which ones are you working on?

Post #6 Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:53 pm 
Dies with sente

Hi All

Thanks for the comments, I play a little on kgs and have a number of games on DGS going on at the moment.

I'm going to my first tournament this saturday in Oxford, as I haven't played much over the board Go.

SoDesuNe the current books im going through are: 1001 problems ( a Chinese book that a friend of mine bought last year for me).

Yang's fundamental principles of Go
Kageyama's Lessons in the fundamentals of Go.
Yangs workshop series vol 1-6.
Davies Tesuji book.

Ive got a few others book im trying to be a little more structured though and build up a routine of working methodically through the information I have. Although in saying that I recently treated myself to vol 1 of Lee Sedol's book and Attack and Defence, a book that was recommended to me. I've also downloaded A book by Go Seigen which looks excellent, and im starting to read it when im not studying the above books.

If anyone has any other recommendations (or books that I should steer clear of) I'd appreciate their input.

Regards

Mark

Post subject:
Post #7 Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:18 pm 
Honinbo

Hi Mark,
markeemark wrote:
Davies Tesuji book.

If anyone has any other recommendations (or books that I should steer clear of) I'd appreciate their input.
Feel free to read any book that you enjoy, but just be aware that
the Davies's The Elementary Go Series may be a bit too difficult for you
(maybe for around 5k level or better) -- again, if you enjoy reading it, that's great. :)

You may also enjoy The Second Book of Go by Richard Bozulich.

Post subject: Re:
Post #8 Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:40 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 109
KGS: Soji
DGS: Soji
Online playing schedule: KGS usually Friday 20:00-23:00
EdLee wrote:
Hi Mark,
markeemark wrote:
Davies Tesuji book.

Feel free to read any book that you enjoy, but just be aware that
the Davies's The Elementary Go Series may be a bit too difficult for you
(maybe for around 5k level or better) -- again, if you enjoy reading it, that's great. :)

Yeah, as a 15-14 kyu I've definitely struggled with Tesuji.
My most worthwile readings at 20k-ish were:

Opening Theory Made Easy
Attack and Defense
Graded Go Problems vol. 2 and 3 (Those are problem books including tsumego, tesuji, opening and yose problems and you get to apply a number of principles that you read about in the two above books. It was very helpful to me).

Post #9 Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:34 pm 
Dies with sente

Hi Thanks for the comments

Amelia: I think's Ed's right, Tesuji does appear a bit hard at the present time. it's interesting you should mention attack and defence, some people have said that it would be too hard for me at my current level. I also have a copy of opening theory made easy which i find indispensible.

Im hoping that my modest library will get me to about 15 kyu and then I'll see how things go from there.

Thanks again for all your help and advice.

regards

Mark

what ive found really good was a recommendation at a go club recently of a site called baduk movies. This is an excellent resource.

Post #10 Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:49 am 
Gosei

My advice for your level would be to mainly focus on solving Tsumegos/Tesujis to get a good understanding on the fundamental techniques.

Books I can recommend would be the Graded Go Problems for Beginners series. They consist of four volumes with increasing difficulty and can easily bring you to an average SDK level.

I don't know a chinese book called 1001 Problems (it's not this one, is it?), so I cannot say how difficult it is. But solving problems is always good : )

Another personal advice would be to drop any theory book for the time being. I have had the experience that especially in the beginning it is best to start slow with proper technique and not get confused about other aspects of the game. My reason is that you need the proper technique (mainly reading power and knowledge of vital points and Tesujis) to carry out any plans you might have in your game. So it's almost useless to know the theory behind attacking a group for instance, when you don't know where it could build eyes.
Opening Theory Made Easy is okay for starters because it doesn't go too deep into the subject.

You can also think about solving problems online via goproblems.com. I'd recommend 30-20 Kyu problems to start with.

Post #11 Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:10 am 
Lives with ko

markeemark wrote:
Amelia: I think's Ed's right, Tesuji does appear a bit hard at the present time. it's interesting you should mention attack and defence, some people have said that it would be too hard for me at my current level. I also have a copy of opening theory made easy which i find indispensible.

This book *is* hard and I definitely didn't get all it had to offer yet. But there are some very important concepts explained in there that helped my game a great deal even at 20k. Especially, it's thanks to the first four chapters that what was happening in the middle game started making sense at all to me (much like "Opening" helped me to make sense of the Fuseki).

Quote:
My reason is that you need the proper technique (mainly reading power and knowledge of vital points and Tesujis) to carry out any plans you might have in your game. So it's almost useless to know the theory behind attacking a group for instance, when you don't know where it could build eyes.
That's true but I think it goes the other way round as well. I mean it's nice if you can cut those stones, but is there a point if you don't know whether or not you should?

Also don't forget that A&D actually gives a great deal of basic tactical advice that you don't find as such in problem books, like contact play is for defense for example. It's not just big complicated theory for experts. Any 25k can benefit from understanding that you can be attacking a stone without actually touching it. I find these concepts broaden my mind, make me try new things in my games and I learn from it even when I fail.

Post #12 Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:33 am 
Gosei

Amelia wrote:
That's true but I think it goes the other way round as well. I mean it's nice if you can cut those stones, but is there a point if you don't know whether or not you should?

Also don't forget that A&D actually gives a great deal of basic tactical advice that you don't find as such in problem books, like contact play is for defense for example. It's not just big complicated theory for experts. Any 25k can benefit from understanding that you can be attacking a stone without actually touching it. I find these concepts broaden my mind, make me try new things in my games and I learn from it even when I fail.

My experience is that it sadly doesn't work the other way round.
To stay in your example: It's very useful and latter on essential to know which cut is important. But at a beginner level, even if you know, that you logically have to cut here, it does not bring you any good when you can't read if there is a loose ladder or some sort of skirmish ahead of you. Chances are your initial good move ends in a heavy group or gets captured.

The same goes for the concepts in Attack and Defend. I agree with you, this book is very important to develop a sense for the middle game and for groups in general but again your sense carries you only so far as you can visualize moves. If you are under attack and attach to settle your shape, your opponent might suddenly play a Hane inside or a cross-cut later on. Here ends the concept of attaching to defend and only reading power, vital points and Tesujis will help you.

Post #13 Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:27 pm 
Dies with sente

Thanks folks

Plenty of food for though and I appreciate your time energy and views. It's nice to hear how different strengths of players approach the game.

I know there is no shortcut to developing my game. I have a background in chess and the fundamentals were vital in building a solid foundation.

SoDesuNe It is called Weiqi and is the book that you had in your previous post, so I am working through that. I have been on goproblems.com and am trying to systematically build up my frame of reference in relation to Tsumego.

Wish me luck first tournament tomorrow, I don't have too many expectations in relation to outcomes, as long as I don't embarass myself!!

I'll update on here..

Thanks Mark

Post subject:
Post #14 Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:51 pm 
Honinbo

markeemark wrote:
I have a background in chess and the fundamentals were vital in building a solid foundation.
Excellent. :)
markeemark wrote:
It is called Weiqi and is the book that you had in your previous post
Weiqi is the Chinese name for Go, and title of the book is "1000 Life and Death Problems in Go" ( 圍棋死活1000題 ).

Post #15 Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:20 am 
Gosei

markeemark wrote:
SoDesuNe It is called Weiqi and is the book that you had in your previous post, so I am working through that.

You can work through it, if you want (it won't do you any harm ; ) ) but it is considered way about your level. I want rank it at least 5k onwards, ending somewhere around low dan.

Good luck with your tournament! =)

Post #16 Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:08 pm 
Dies with sente

Hi again folks

Well it's clear there is plenty of work to be done!!

I lost the first game by losing a big group.

I lost the second game in a closer teritorial game.

The final game was a disaster, I was drawn against a 17 Kyu given a five stone handicap and still got smashed by assisting to kill one of my own groups and having one of my corners invaded. This was the shortest game and the most disappointing out of the three.

So 0-3, although I did make some new acquaintances, reestablished some I already had and learnt quite a bit about a variety of areas of the game.

I must take a more systematic approach to my Go study, as I realised most of most short comings today.

Thanks for the input regarding the weiqi book. Study starts again Monday, I am taking the day off tomorrow!

I was also loaned a copy of graded go problems volume one, so i'll add that to my workload.

Bye for now.

Regards

Mark

Post #17 Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:41 am 
Lives with ko

markeemark wrote:
I was also loaned a copy of graded go problems volume one, so i'll add that to my workload.

Vol 1 starts at the very beginning (like capturing stones that are already in atari and so on). So even at 20k it will probably feel quite easy to you. But I find even easy problems are very much worth doing, I just try to solve them as fast as I can. It helps to put the basics firmly in your head for you to spot quickly during games.

Vol 2 will be more your level (with a lot of very important basic shapes to think about), vol 3 will be hard and by the time you get to vol 4 you will probably be a lot stronger than now.

Good luck with your studies :-)

Post #18 Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:14 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 43
Was liked: 32
Universal go server handle: tygempanda
Weiqi 1001 problems at 22kyu is great! :clap:
I'm also doing this book right now but my reading fails me every time i get like past 10 moves deep, 7 or so variations :-)

Ok here is my advice of books:

Initialy:

- Level up series (1-10) , (30-10kyu)
- 1000 Life and death (kiseido version, not the 1001 chinese version)
- Graded go problems for beginners 1 & 2 (3 & 4 is going to be too difficult)
- tesuji by james davis
I know some people in this threat say its too hard for you but I did it also at low level and learned a lot from it allready.
It encourages you to read situations instead of seeying what happens like most beginners do.

Once you get a bit stronger:
- Jump Leven up series (1-5) (10-1kyu)
- weiqi 1001

Also what helped me a lot to get a feeling of direction, walls, midgame fighting was to watch lectures by battousai.
Initialy they are going to look random, lots of terms don't mean anything etc.
But you learn a buch of "patterns" in your head which allow you to do the right things intrinsicly while not yet knowing why.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL96339EFDFDE696FC

Forget books like opening theory made easy and attack and defence.
You'll have plenty of time to think about these things once you are a killing machine from studying life & death :-)

Good luck!

Post #19 Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:00 pm 
Dies with sente

Hi Otenke

Thanks for the information.

I don't actually know what the level up series is?

I have shelved attack and defence and opening theory made easy.

Im concentrating on tsumego at the moment.

Your right about Bats lectures online, I have seen some of these, they are very good, (although I don't recognise a number of patterns yet!).

I also like commented games, I think Lee Sedol's new (ish) book is great as is the Master
Play series.

Thanks again for your input.

Best regards

Mark

Post #20 Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:14 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 47
Was liked: 94
Universal go server handle: MSGreg
markeemark wrote:
I don't actually know what the level up series is?
Level Up series. After a brief search, I couldn't find where they are available from a UK shop, but I did find them here at goshop-keima.com.

markeemark wrote:
I have shelved attack and defence and opening theory made easy.
I personally would read Opening Theory Made Easy when you're ready to start improving on 19x19 boards. It is an easy and helpful read at 20k or so. The main lesson that I learned (or...still trying to learn) from it was to look at the board anew for each stone played. This helps determine when to tenuki in the beginning vs. just following your opponent around.

Go Tin - very portable go