It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Chinese Problem Books
Post #21 Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:13 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 45
Was liked: 25
dfan wrote:
I like simple problems like you (I think it's more important to consistently see "easy" tactics correctly and quickly in a game than to solve brain-busters) so I'm expecting to like those books, especially since there are harder problems later too.

On that note, I see that you're (still?) expecting the Jump Level Up books too, which I think you will really like (drilling sets of similar problems, gentle difficulty curve). If I am right about that, it's probable that you will also enjoy the Essential Life and Death series (also from Baduktopia). There's some overlap, but Jump Level Up has a lot of tesuji and semeai problems while Essential Life and Death is purely about the life and death of single groups surrounded by strong enemy stones. I can solve almost of volume 1 on sight (which I don't mind taking an occasional half hour to do!) and volume 4 is supposedly dan level, to give an idea of the difficulty range.

I've already received Jump Level Up. Enjoying them a lot so far- like you say, lots of easy problems to drill through. I think this is the best way to be able to spot these things in games. Practicing brute reading strength (depth/breadth) also has it's place. But for me, I like to be able to quickly and correctly spot a vital point in order to start my reading, or to even realise that there might be a good move in any given situations.

I'm thinking about picking up the essential life and death series, as well as their joseki compass book. Initially I wasn't that keen on the joseki sections, but I like this format of learning joseki- show punishment/correction of mistakes, so that you can understand the meaning of each move.

Please see here; viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15712&p=230934#p230934 for the start of my review on the 12 book series. I've only gone over the tesuji books so far, but I will post further problems over the coming days when I have time.