Liked others: 55
Was liked: 179
KGS: Erythen
Wbaduk: Erythen
OGS: Erythen
Universal go server handle: Erythen
Online playing schedule: Beijing Time: Usually between 20:00 - 22:00
Hello,
Within the last week I've been offered a number of items that include sets of stones with minor flaws. These flaws can range from tiny nicks to small, unusual indentations. They're brand new stones, but didn't quite make the final cut. They remain excellent playing pieces.

I'm going to buy a number of these sets and offer them at large discounts, but my post here is specifically about Sized 50 stones (and to a lesser degree, sets larger than 40). What's your level of interest in playing with sized 50 (or any sizes over 40) stones.

Sized 50 stones are truly massive. The largest possible(14.3 mm). They're just over twice the thickness of sized 25.

The prices I'd offer for sized 50 are as follows...

Snow Grade = $4600
Moon Grade = $1200
Standard Grade = $850

Anyway, I'd like to see if anyone would actually be interested or not.

Your thoughts are welcome.

Post subject: Re: Size 50 Stones
Post #2 Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:10 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 16
They must nearly be marbles.

I cannot afford any of those prices but I would appreciate it if you could post a pic or two.

This post by Manchu was liked by: oca

Post #3 Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:37 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
I cannot quite imagine being able to hold them correctly. It seems they would slip out of the fingers too easily. In my opinion, once the size gets above 9mm their desirability goes down.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:13 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 136
Erythen wrote:
Hello,
What's your level of interest in playing with sized 50 (or any sizes over 40) stones. Your thoughts are welcome.

Those sizes and those prices are for collectors or showoffs, buddy. Just my opinion, of course, but 9mm is my maximum comfor level. The old Ing weighted plastic stones were about 10.5mm and they were a bit difficult to hang onto.

Truly, though, who needs a $4,600 set of go spheres? Such stones will not make one a better player. So they are either for show or to show off. Like having a massive and ancient masame go board, there's more personal satisfaction, I should think, in possessing, at least for the short time we are here, an artifact that approaches the status of a national treasure than in actually playing go with the stones or on the board.

Post #5 Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:03 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
There is nothing wrong with people wanting the biggest stones they can get. Why do some people want a Ferrari when a Ford would drive just fine? Everyone has their own preferences. I wouldn't equate "having a massive and ancient masame go board" as equivalent to owning close to a national treasure. That would also depend on how famous the maker of the board is and whether it has the signature or usage by some famous historical go player, etc. And just masame isn't the best cut :) Everyone has their own tastes in go equipment. Please don't try to impose your preferences on others.

Post #6 Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:03 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
bogiesan wrote:
those prices are for ... showoffs

Says the guy with a Mac ;-) :lol: </troll>

This post by Uberdude was liked by: Shawn Ligocki

Post #7 Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:44 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 124
KGS: STOP STALKING ME
bogiesan wrote:
Erythen wrote:
Hello,
What's your level of interest in playing with sized 50 (or any sizes over 40) stones. Your thoughts are welcome.

Those sizes and those prices are for collectors or showoffs, buddy. Just my opinion, of course, but 9mm is my maximum comfor level. The old Ing weighted plastic stones were about 10.5mm and they were a bit difficult to hang onto.

Truly, though, who needs a $4,600 set of go spheres? Such stones will not make one a better player. So they are either for show or to show off. Like having a massive and ancient masame go board, there's more personal satisfaction, I should think, in possessing, at least for the short time we are here, an artifact that approaches the status of a national treasure than in actually playing go with the stones or on the board.

Having a high value floor board and stones would motivate me to play on it more because it's COOLER, making me a better player through effort and time spent studying. (Also playing on a floor board that's raised higher is better than my dumb table board imo.)

Post #8 Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:35 pm 
Lives in gote

tchan001 wrote:
There is nothing wrong with people wanting the biggest stones they can get. Why do some people want a Ferrari when a Ford would drive just fine? Everyone has their own preferences. I wouldn't equate "having a massive and ancient masame go board" as equivalent to owning close to a national treasure. That would also depend on how famous the maker of the board is and whether it has the signature or usage by some famous historical go player, etc. And just masame isn't the best cut :) Everyone has their own tastes in go equipment. Please don't try to impose your preferences on others.

The OP asked about the market appeal of a super expensive set of stones.

Anyway, I'd like to see if anyone would actually be interested or not.

I posted my opinion and stated clearly it was my opinion. You have yours. I care about yours as little as you seem to care about mine. And, yes, I bow to your superior knowledge of grains and makers. You win that round. But to argue with you because you want to, a Ferrari and a Ford are not comparable machines. One buys a Ferrari if one can and one wishes to. One buys a Ford or Eliot nap because one can or needs to. No one who needs a nice little set of go stones is going to buy a $4,600 set of go stones. Only someone who can will spend that kind of money on go stones. I wish the vendor good luck and riches but I don't see anyone on this forum clamoring for such products.

Post #9 Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 pm 
Lives in gote

Uberdude wrote:
bogiesan wrote:
those prices are for ... showoffs

Says the guy with a Mac ;-) :lol: </troll>

I am fortunate to have only used one style of personal computer for my entire digital career as a photographer and a video produce/animator. 25 years ago the Macintosh ruled those niches and I am very glad to have invested in the hardware at the time. It is comfortable and it pleases me to pay the small premium for the build quality and not to need to learn a new system after almost three decades. But I would never presume to try to sell anyone on the Mac OS. One uses the tools one likes or can afford.

Post #10 Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:46 pm 
Lives in gote

Abyssinica wrote:
bogiesan wrote:
Erythen wrote:
Hello,

Having a high value floor board and stones would motivate me to play on it more because it's COOLER, making me a better player through effort and time spent studying. (Also playing on a floor board that's raised higher is better than my dumb table board imo.)

I think, in time, you will find this statement to be exuberantly misguided. It is the desire to be better that drives the best players. The gear is a physical manifestation of the mind's image, nothing more. To play at the 1 dan level, one does not really need a board and stones, or so I have been told. They can play on cardboard using M&Ms and gain skill and insight.

Post #11 Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:57 am 
Gosei

The gear is a physical manifestation of the mind's image, nothing more. I'm sure the best players like Lee Sedol can gain much more skill and insight just on their mind's image than most people can on cardboard using M&Ms.

Post #12 Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:11 pm 
Gosei

bogiesan wrote:
No one who needs a nice little set of go stones is going to buy a $4,600 set of go stones. Only someone who can will spend that kind of money on go stones. I wish the vendor good luck and riches but I don't see anyone on this forum clamoring for such products.

No one who needs a cheap bicycle for transport is going to buy a recumbent. Only someone who can will spend that kind of money. I'm sure some people do spend big bucks on bicycles and recumbents. Would you have something against collectors and showoffs who own expensive bicycles and recumbents? I certainly don't own a recumbent but I have nothing against people owning one.

The vendor is only letting people know that if they are interested in such rare stones that they are available at the prices he offers. Maybe some people might be interested but when you put down something just because you are unwilling or unable to afford it, it's quite annoying to potential collectors and showoffs who do appreciate such items.

We can't all be as brilliant at go as Lee Sedol, but if you can afford it, you can own better equipment than he does :)

This post by tchan001 was liked by: sybob