It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shin Kaya Goban Lowered Price $350 Sold
Post #1 Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:27 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 21
Hi,

I have been a member on here since December. Being new to the game, I have just been reading the posts.

I am selling one of my Gobans. I have a very nice Shin Kaya Goban from Japan. There are no cracks or big dents in the board. The top piece alone is about 7 inches (18cm) of one solid piece of wood.

The board measures 43cm X 46cm x 18cm. The board also includes a cloth cover but it has a hole in the side of it which you can see in the pictures.

The photostream set is below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69691331@N ... 406263773/

The price for the board is $450.00.

I live in Pennsylvania. I do not mind meeting someone an hour away from my house. I live near the State College PA area. You can reach me through pm on here or at Soteria30@yahoo.com .

Justin

Last edited by Justin2013 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
Post #2 Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:17 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi Justin, your boards looks very pretty. Congrats on having owned it and enjoyed it.

May I ask where you bought it, which vendor, and how much was it new ?
What year did you buy it (how long have you had it) ?
Did you buy it new (are you the only owner) ? It looks very well maintained -- may I ask about your maintenance ?
How often is it used (3 times per week, more, or less) ?
For example: no direct sunlight, no extreme temperature or humidity fluctuations, regular cleaning with
a soft cotton or microfiber cloth (maybe slightly damp), any re-surfacing with goban wax, etc. etc. ? :)

Post subject: Re: Shin Kaya Goban for Sale
Post #3 Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:40 am 
Dies in gote

Hi Ed,

I have only played several games on it. I use a Daddy Van's natural wax on my boards. I am not the first owner but the board was well maintained as by the pictures. There is not much wear to the board. The board is kept covered and in my closet out of the sun light.

I have another antique Goban (113 years old) that I use and play on. This is my daily practice and studying board. I may keep this one but you can see some pictures of it. I was told that the stones were original with the board. If I sell this board it would include the stones that came with it. You can see pictures of it here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69691331@N ... 454546695/

I do not read kanji but was told by the Japanese Antique dealer that it has the artist name and date Meiji 33rd year.

Honestly, I am still looking for the right goban that speaks to me. I'm looking for a certain aesthetic for my Go board. It is difficult finding one especially when you can not go in someplace and look at different ones. Hence, I may have to purchase several before finding the right one. One of the aspects of Go that I like is not only the game but the stones and boards which adds beauty to the game.

Justin

Post subject:
Post #4 Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:00 am 
Honinbo

Justin2013 wrote:
I have another antique Goban (113 years old) that I use and play on. This is my daily practice and studying board.
Hi Justin, very interesting.
If I had those two boards, I would've done the opposite: I much prefer the newer, thicker shinkaya board than the ancient one. :)

In fact, a friend gave me an old board whose colors are very similar to yours -- very dark, almost black in some areas --
and he told me it's probably over 100 years old, like yours. But its legs are missing, so I use it to prop up
my shinkaya table board and together as one unit they form my floor board. :)

Post subject:
Post #5 Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:03 am 
Honinbo

Justin2013 wrote:
Honestly, I am still looking for the right goban that speaks to me. I'm looking for a certain aesthetic for my Go board.
Yes, it's a very personal thing. May I ask what's your current favorite stones ?

( My current favorite: Kuroki size 38 (10.7 mm) standard grade.

From your flickr photos of your old shell stones, it's difficult for me
to guess their size, since the angle is straight down. But from the shapes
and the light reflections of the curvature, I'm guessing they're quite thin,
perhaps 8 mm or less ? )

Post #6 Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:06 am 
Dies in gote

I only have two sets of shell stones. I have the antique set which are Japanese clam stones. I would guess that they are size 25 stones but not 100 percent since I do not have calipers to measure.

My other set are Mexican Clam stones standard with some moon grade size 31. I like these stones and use them on my Go board. My children use the antique stones since they are a little easier for them to grip between their fingers.

I have not had the opportunity to see many other stones especially living in a rural area.

Post #7 Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:32 am 
Dies in gote

I put the board on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321334000611?ss ... 1555.l2649

If you are interested in the board, I will close the auction if there are no bids and end it. I will take $400 for the board plus shipping cost. You can calculate your shipping cost on the Ebay link.

Post subject: Re: Shin Kaya Goban Lowered Price $350
Post #8 Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:12 am 
Dies in gote

I am lowering the price of the board to $350.00 . The shipping cost is from 16822 box size 20x20x19 at 38 pounds. I will either ship it through UPS or USPS. Buyer pays shipping cost.

Post subject: Re: Shin Kaya Goban Lowered Price $350 Sold
Post #9 Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:19 am 
Dies in gote

The board has been sold.

Justin

Post subject:
Post #10 Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:03 pm 
Honinbo

Congrats, Justin.

Post subject: Re:
Post #11 Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:23 pm 
Dies in gote

EdLee wrote:
Congrats, Justin.

Thanks, this will help fund my new board acquisition. The Shin Kaya board was very nice. I was glad that I had a chance to try out the board.